How fast have you had your ST?

georgiast

Failure is NOT an option...
Next obvious question...

Where did you guys hit those speeds in excess of 100?

Interstate...

Desert...

I have not found many straight roads in my neck of the woods that I cold really let it all out. What with forest rats jumping across the road and 80 year old drivers backing out into the roadway, it is kinda scary.

:eek: :yikes: :bigeyes: :holy crap: :yowza: :eek:4:

[Serious Rant] In engineering terms, loads on key parts of the bike go up as the square of the speed. By 'loads', I mean drag, hoop stress in the tires & rims, stress on engine & drivetrain parts, ... etc. The following table shows such loads as a function of speed, relative to 60 mph.

Speed, Loads
60, 100%
70, 136%
80, 178%
90, 225%
100, 278%
110, 336%
120, 400%
130, 469%
140, 544%
150, 625%

Just a quick burst up to 90 that we each seem to find on our speedo at times more than doubles the load on key parts. From 90 to 130, it more than doubles again. Scary stuff.

It only takes a slight imperfection in a tire and you are done with life at such high speeds. If a piece of fairing rips off and the bike no longer has symmetric loading...done. A rim cracks...done. A bearing siezes...done. One of many engine parts gives out...done. A tooth on the driveline failes...done. You hit something on the road...done. The road is damaged...done. Someone misjudges your speed and pulls in front of you...done.

I implore you to slow down. [/Serious Rant]
I guess the ST is up to the load increase.

Having done it I have no need to boldly go........................ again :D

Next obvious question...

Interstate...

Desert...

I have not found many straight roads in my neck of the woods that I cold really let it all out. What with forest rats jumping across the road and 80 year old drivers backing out into the roadway, it is kinda scary.
There's a road in E. TN not too far from Deals Gap that has a couple of long stretches. Wider than normal lanes with wide shoulders giving way to wide grassy verges. Good sight lines and I've ridden the road many times and know that the surface is good.

Everything else is in the hands of fate. Well apart from my hands which work on the bike. My speed was achieved over a year ago and I've had no need to achieve it again.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Had we wanted to 'toodle' we would have purchased a bike more suited for flower sniffing.
Are you referring to a motorcycle favored by the majority of moderators? :D

I'd start West of the Mississippi, and if possible, about three or four states West of that. There are places where the road stretches straight and bare for miles on end, and your throttle hand will scream to just break up the monotony.

Also: It's a bad idea on a long, straight road, to close your eyes and start counting to see how long you can drive straight. Don't ask me how I know this.

Last edited:

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Personally I like toodling. I've had mine to 6,000 rpm and about 90 (indicated)once, I've had it to 80 several times but with speedo error I'm figuring it's really 72ish. Max speed limit in Ohio where I do 99% of my riding is 65 and 72 will get you a ticket in most jurisdictions.Most of the areas I ride in out here in the country the speed limit is between 45 and 55. So I just toodle.

Yesterday coming back from OH-STOC I was running about 68 indicated in a 60 (figured I was doing 63 or 63 actually) on a 4 lane divided highway and passed a Sheriff set up behind some trees running radar. As soon as I passed him he pulled out. I thought crap busted. He followed me for awhile, but never lit me up.

Most of the time I'm in the 3,000 to 4000 rpm range

In 15,000 miles I never had my FZ1 over 6,000 rpm.

I haven't been to 100 in years.

I ride like a cruiser rider, just dont like that style bike.

Don't worry fast guys, If you come up behind me, I'll move over and wave you through.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Quote:
Originally Posted by patentcad
You guys are insane.

Me too.

I've seen 100+ (factoring in the optimistic speedo error) once or twice, that's enough for me. I figure that knowing the bike's capability is one thing - testing it's limits myself is a whole 'nother story.

Don

Yogi

Have MC -- Will Travel
Bike
Honda GL1800
STOC #
Just wondering?
Well not to incriminate myself I will just say that I have matched a speed posted previously (as indicated by my GPS) up on a very straight road in North Dakota just to see what it would do. I have been close to that number other times and have probably matched it down here in the Desert Southwest. Never on the interstate always on a 2 lane back road.

:06biker: NO Wobble NO Pull to the right NO Problem!:06biker:

STOC #
During FLStoc last year, I hit 115 indicated (no GPS at the time). I was trying to catch up to the group when I passed a group of two or three cars on a two lane road in the Ocala FL area. Down shifted and powered my way around the cars, pulled back in and looked down. No idea I was going that fast. Smooth and no stability problems.

Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #

[Serious Rant] In engineering terms, loads on key parts of the bike go up as the square of the speed.
SNIP
150, 625%
SNIP
It only takes a slight imperfection in a tire and you are done with life at such high speeds. If a piece of fairing rips off and the bike no longer has symmetric loading...done.
SNIP
Someone misjudges your speed and pulls in front of you...done.

Well said sir.
My definition of "Faith" is that as a mechanic I can name over 50 parts on the front suspension of oncoming cars, that if they fail at the wrong moment, will put 1.5 tons of metal and plastic through my body. I have faith that it will not happen today.
What is life without risk?
Where is the joy in 55 Mph on a long Nevada highway?
I will not stay home and hide.

140 mph yesterday on Hwy. 197 between The Dalles and Malpin, OR. About 5 miles after slowing down I was passed by the HP going the opposite direction :bow1:

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
The max speed on my GPS is a little over 1500MPH. :eek:

Don't ask how that happened but the only thing I can assume is that at some point it assumed I went from one place to another really fast. Possibly as it was trying to get a 3D fix. Who knows but I think it is pretty funny so I never cleared it. Besides if I ever get pulled over there is no way they could use that against me :rolleyes:

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
On a closed course :rolleyes:..........141-3 mph indicated and it felt like it had more to go. It scared the hell out of the Hayabusa rider who was attempting to keep up. Yes, I know what that bike will do in the hands of someone more capable than him but I like that I can say that my ST outran one of the fastest production bikes. :D Not to mention that I know he was thinking: "Whoa.....that's the same bike the police use.") ....and when riders show up at my work and the see the Honda ST police models, they always ask how fast they go. I get real serious and tell them how fast I've had mine. (I just sort of omit the speed governor thing :rolleyes::D) I quietly tell them the ST is not the bike to try and outrun. They usually get a :eek: expression and study the ST closer. I'm just doing my small part for law enforcement agencies everywhere by convincing hooligan riders to pull over immediately. :D

As for top speed ever on two wheels, 160mph (indicated) coming out of Big Bear on a 2005 Suzuki SV1000S.

Last edited:
Bike
ST 1300
142 indicated..and the guy next to me took off and did 168 on his R1..as far as stress on the bike...8000 rpms in first is the same engine stress as 8000 in fifth as far as I know..the bike is made and tested for a top end speed and tires are manufactured to that speed. Case in point ...a 1995 Z28 camaro coupe was able to run 150 from the factory with Z rated tires..because the convertibles had so much cowl shake GM refused to put Z rated tires on it and governed it electronically to 114..must be a bad feeling tooling along in your 320 hp camaro at 110 an have a hyundai pass you.:D

Bike
2005 ST 1300
Coming home from town, a guy I know passed me in his convertible Mustang at a pretty good clip. I pulled up beside him and waved by-by. GPS 125.

sellyoursol

I'ma chasin' a GD Maniac!
Bike
2007 ST1300

[Serious Rant]
It only takes a slight imperfection in a tire and you are done with life at such high speeds. If a piece of fairing rips off and the bike no longer has symmetric loading...done. A rim cracks...done. A bearing siezes...done. One of many engine parts gives out...done. A tooth on the driveline failes...done. You hit something on the road...done. The road is damaged...done. Someone misjudges your speed and pulls in front of you...done.

And if someone drops a safe on your head while walking downtown, you're probably done as well.

There is risk involved in every facet of life. I choose not to be dominated by the "what if".

And FWIW...I once had the misfortune of hitting an 80 lb. golden retriever at 75mph on my old Hurricane 600, and although it was an unpleasant experience the motorcycle and I were able to reel it in to a complete stop without any loss of control.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
[Serious Rant] It only takes a slight imperfection in a tire and you are done with life at such high speeds. If a piece of fairing rips off and the bike no longer has symmetric loading...done. A rim cracks...done. A bearing siezes...done. One of many engine parts gives out...done. A tooth on the driveline failes...done. You hit something on the road...done. The road is damaged...done. Someone misjudges your speed and pulls in front of you...done. [/Serious Rant]

Wife finds out you were out riding when you weren't supposed to be.........done. :D

Top Bottom