How fast have you had your ST?

Ed_Grant

Fast Eddie
STOC #
My 95 ST1100 topped out at 131.6 mph (GPS) coming back from '98 TexSToc between Brady and Santa Anna. Very stable and it wouldn't go any faster as I was WFO for a couple miles. :)

I had the FJR up to 148 just north of Alpine on the long straight before you get into the mountains south of Ft. Davis but the fastest I've been on a bike was on a Suzuki RF900. Got it up to 150 according to calibrated bicycle computer on the bike. It had a bit left but I had to slow for the crest of a hill. Never know what might be on the other side don't ya know.

I don't have any desire to find out how fast the cbr929 will go although I've had it up to 140 indicated once.

Blue One

Vendor
Bike
04 ABS ST1300
As fast as it would go :D and without a GPS and with speedo error I couldn't tell you how fast that was.

All I know is that on the empty stretch of hiway ( Closed course -professional driver -don't try this at home:D ) there is no way the guy in the new blue mustang could catch me till I backed off :D

Last edited:

Gymbo

R.I.P. - 2021/08/30
Rest In Peace
STOC #
135 indicated in the Arizona desert on my first 1991 ST1100. Fastest since was 100-105, but only briefly and only once or twice. I have no need to ever go 135 again.

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
Wife finds out you were out riding when you weren't supposed to be.........done. :D
Oh boy ... I thought you said, wife finds out you were out riding where you weren't supposed to be ....... :eek:

Man, for a minute I was really scared .... I thought I had a GPS in my pants ...

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
:eek: :yikes: :bigeyes: :holy crap: :yowza: :eek:4:

[Serious Rant]

I implore you to slow down. [/Serious Rant]
In my minds eye I see a Volvo 240 DL in your garage with a vanity plate reading CHKN LITL. Next to the bikes of course.

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
Between alpine and springerville was at indicated 121 . than was still at 90 when I reached the big sweeper that is a few miles right before dropping into springerville. was fun . but I wont do that often.. no room for error at that speed.
Of course this a complete fabrication on my part for the leos that are reading this.... :poPoST1:

GPS reading 144mph.
Speedometer 155. I have pics of the GPS Max Speed hanging in my office. I never have to go that fast again.

Dave

STOC #
how about dyno speed ??
91 octane, new tires, no wind,up to the rev limiter??
its safe,and in a shop,
take it to a H.D.SHOP..:biker:

Bike
2006 ST1300
Does the ST definitely have a rev limiter? If so I'll take it to ignition cut out in top gear.

To those making a big deal out of speed, you pick your place, hit it at 70 mph and in less then a mile you've topped it out. Takes 30 seconds.

ST: 140 on speedo, tach knocking on redline.

XX: 190 on speedo, actual about 178.

Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
[Serious Rant] In engineering terms, loads on key parts of the bike go up as the square of the speed. By 'loads', I mean drag, hoop stress in the tires & rims, stress on engine & drivetrain parts, ... etc. The following table shows such loads as a function of speed, relative to 60 mph.

Thanks, this was a great education. Stuff we don't consider when we are being seduced into high speed riding by our STs...

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
135, no GPS, when the bike was stock. Since adding a large Clearview shield and under-mirror-wind wings, fairing and mirror wind deflectors, I probably will not attempt to go anywhere near that fast again. I lost some stability with all that extra plastic pushing the wind like a barn door.

With the after-market wind management stuff I'm more susceptible to buffeting, cross winds, front tire not tracking like it's on rails, and it robs my confidence at speed.

Every bike I have owned I have redlined in top gear. Having said that, if you make a regular practice of it, your odds are not good for collecting your retirement. Even at my current age, I just have an urge to know how fast the machine will take me. Once I know, I find that I don't need to make a practice of it.

STOC #
maybe "touched" 120. Really, that is too fast for me, it doesn't take much to ruin your day at that speed. I don't think I will ever attempt top speed, and, honestly, I think I've only redlined it two or three times.

Top Bottom