ST1300 - Fuel Cap Hanging Up

OP
OP
John Anthony

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Good news! Not only did your recommendations work for me, but for another ST rider at WeSTOC who has having the same problem. In my case, one of the other riders had a can of a new Teflon lubricant that Dupont makes and it did the trick. Couple of treatments and a little messaging and my gas lid now opens without any problems.

For the other rider, we had to follow Mark's suggestion of loosening the bolts surrounding the collar before we could get his open. Then a little lubricant, and he was good to go!

It's the real pits to have something like this happen when you're on the road and so helpful when forum members jump in quickly with great ideas! Kudos all around.

John

The lubrication properties of WD-40 are highly overrated. The WD stands for "Water Displacing". It was never intended to be a lubricant, it just sort of worked out that way.

I had the same problem with my gas cap last summer on my Hwy 50 trip. I bent my primary key trying to open it and had to switch to my backup. I finally figured out that if I held the gas cap down with my thumb while I turned the key it would usually release.

I'm going to try the triflow.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
The lubrication properties of WD-40 are highly overrated. The WD stands for "Water Displacing". It was never intended to be a lubricant, it just sort of worked out that way.

I had the same problem with my gas cap last summer on my Hwy 50 trip. I bent my primary key trying to open it and had to switch to my backup. I finally figured out that if I held the gas cap down with my thumb while I turned the key it would usually release.

I'm going to try the triflow.
Yup dri film lubricants are the way to go. Dri-slide etc.
-1 WD-40. OK for rusted bolts but it isn't a great lubricant and attracts dirt.
I usually notice the key doesn't snap back around quickly when closing the gas cap. I little spritz on the sliding ring on the underside of the cap and it's good to go. As long as I'm there I give the keyways and the latching pawls on the side bags a shot at the same time.

Onicabbit

Tailess Cabbit!
Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour
STOC #
I found if I turn the key slowly it will get caught up and not open. I now just put the key in and then make sure it can turn easily with little force then I just turn it quickly and smoothly and it pops open every time for me.

Bike
ST 1300
Just my personal observation....when your fuel cap is open look around the fill hole and see how much fine grit is in there..its amazing...some of that might be working up into the locking mechanism...I clean mine out regularly..just my 02cents

Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800
It is 7 years later, 2015. The forgoing information is just as useful as then. It just help me immensely. My gas cap was sticking badly. I used the 3 in 1 spray lubricant. There is a tapered sliding collar on the underside of the gas cap. Once that was freed up with the spray oil. The gas cap works like it was new. Thank you to the forum.
Kenny

Bike
ST1300
Hi,
My fuel cap is starting to look tatting so was considering either removing and spraying or sourcing a replacement. If I get a replacement I would be looking to swap the tumblers so the original key fits or taking it apart to to spray paint it. Have you heard if this is possible or is the actual lock sealed. I haven’t even unbolted it yet as I thought I’d ask for some advice 1st.
thanks in advance

Top Bottom