Conti Road Attack vs Michelin Pilot Road/Pilot 2's

Bike
ST1300A
Just did a 3000 mile ride with six other riders from the Pacific NW to Santa Fe and back. One had a new set of Michelin PR's, one had a new set of Michelin PR2's and I had a new set of Continental Road Attacks. We rode in temperatures varying between the 40's to the 100's, mostly on secondary roads. We avoided the freeways except where unavoidable.

Michelin Pilot Roads: A noticeable 2" wide flat spot on the rear tire. Front tire showed a 1" flat spot on the front. Rear tread looks about half worn.

Michelin Pilot Road 2's: Very good overall wear. Just a slight hint of a flat spot on the front and rear. Hardly noticeable at this mileage. The rear tread looks about a third worn.

Conti Road Attacks: Very pronounced flat spot on rear, more than the PR.
Front tire had about the same flat spot as the PR. The rear tread is much thicker than the Michelins to start with and looks about one quarter worn.

Overall thoughts: All tires cornered well. All give great feedback to the rider. The Conti Attack may wear the longest due to it's thicker rear tread.

I think my next set will be the Michelin PR2's. They seem to wear more evenly around the tread profile of both the front and rear tires. Their dual compound construction looks to have been designed perfectly for this tire. In the long run they may feel more responsive as they wear throughout their life span ...

Old Vic :06biker:

Top Bottom