ST1300PA vs ST1300A - Differences

Any full fairing bike is gonna be hotter that the old open engined Harley or Kawi bikes of the past. I think the first faired police bike was the Beemer, which did have the advantage of being air cooled with those big cans outside the fairing. If I wear jeans, I hardly feel it. Mesh pants I fel it more. They're hotter, not cooler like intended. But not so much that I cant wear mesh in Summer. My Old Connie felt exactly the same and didn't bother me at all.

After searching the web extensively for bad reviews on the ST-1300's, I finally found a site which outlines some of the main complaints from ST owners:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269929&highlight=improve+st1300

Heat keeps coming up over and over again. Just out of curiosity, is it that much of an issue? And if so, what do you do to deal with it?

Thx
Hi Mediaboss, we had a chat at Powersports last week, I was picking up some grommets...Good to hear you're picking the bike up.

I use the minimal ST excess heat to warm my hands and legs up! On the real hot days (if you can remember those...), I go faster to disipate the heat. I think the ST 'heat issue' gets unwarranted media attention, it ain't that bad.
c u on the road!
best
brian

Byron

STOC #
. . . The main differences that I found between a regular ST1300 and the PA is as follows:

The positive:
- Steering riser
- Bigger alternator & radiator
- Different suspension to accomodate extra weight
- Pre-wiring throughout the bike, accessible via the handlebars
. . .
According to a microfiche search the alternator and radiator are the same and so are the front springs. Ther rear shock absorber is the only part that is different on the "P" 52400-MCS-A31 vs. 1300 & "A" 52400-MCS-G01. There are a few extra parts on the swingarm; dust seals and spacers, etc..

There is talk that the suspension is heavier but I believe that it might actually be just the opposite. The "P" bikes don't carry passengers so the rear shock/spring doesn't have to carry that 150 lbs. allocated for a passenger. There is no way that the radio and lighting gear comes close to this even if you added the crashbars that are often added. The exception might be that it may be heavier if they set it up for more aggressive riding style.

Last edited:

RocketMan

so many roads...
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
After searching the web extensively for bad reviews on the ST-1300's, I finally found a site which outlines some of the main complaints from ST owners:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269929&highlight=improve+st1300

Heat keeps coming up over and over again. Just out of curiosity, is it that much of an issue? And if so, what do you do to deal with it?

Thx
One comment on the advriders thread was to remove the tipover bar plastic to help combat the heat.

Anyone done this? Even just for the day?

Curious if that makes a difference.

With planned trip to CA in a month and coming back through the Mojave I'll keep this in mind if the temp seems to go up.

Can't say I've noticed an issue with heat but have not ridden in anything over 89F.

Bike
06 ST1300PA

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
Found a heat fix insulation kit on eBay that seems to help with the heat issue:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-HONDA-ST1300-HOT-BIKE-TANK-HEAT-FIX-INSULATION-KIT_W0QQitemZ190287236465QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item190287236465&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1215|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Not sure how effective it is but from what I'm reading, it seems to work.
Have any of you tried it?
As this is the only post that has come up in a search regarding the "ebay heat fix" kit, I will start another post on this matter.

I just installed this "kit" yesterday and tried it out for the first time, today. It works but there is a cheaper alternative to spending the money on the ebay kit.

Bike
06 ST1300PA
As this is the only post that has come up in a search regarding the "ebay heat fix" kit, I will start another post on this matter.

I just installed this "kit" yesterday and tried it out for the first time, today. It works but there is a cheaper alternative to spending the money on the ebay kit.
Which is?

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Dragging this back up. Did anyone come up with a definitive list of difference between the PA and the A? Going to pick up a 2007 PA this weekend. Obviously a former Police motor, but had the seat set up for stock. Has holes in the front fairing for tip over bars, I'll either repair those or fill them with a light or summat. Rear pegs in place. Holes for emergency lighting on top of the mirrors, hoping the brackets are still there. Police control pod obviously, missing the two small plastic panels in the side fairing, hideously ugly blue stripes on silver bodywork. I bet they'll let me slice through traffic after I install a headlight modulator though.......my local PD has a similar scheme on their BMW's. But, the price was right. I miss the 1300 I purchased from a member here, beautiful machine, everything I needed and wanted in the way of farkles, but, alas, purchasing a house necessitated parting with it, but it went to a good home, and the COMOAM has treated it right, last I heard. Looking forward to getting back on two wheels.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Police models were white across all years as I understand it. Unless the silver is an over-paint it may not be a factory police model but a civilian 2007 with add-on lighting and protection bars. That would explain the stock seat as well.

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
That's what I thought also, but I remember seeing a site for ordering police bikes, and color was an option. However, I haven't seen the bike in person yet, supposed to AMTRAK it down this Saturday and kick the tires. Anyone in Charlotte? may need a ride from AMTRAK there, to Gastonia....... Got a ride to the station here already.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Great to hear you'll soon be back on two wheels...hopefully!

The speedo is different, calibrated vs off by 7+%, the upper cowl stay is beefier, as are the tipover bars (can't install MCL highway pegs) Not sure of the shocks back in 2007, but for later models the rear shocks are a little stiffer. That's about all I can think of off hand.

One other thing, I've seen plenty of black cop ST1300s.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
...it may not be a factory police model but a civilian 2007 with add-on lighting and protection bars.
That's a good bet, as there have been a bunch of those.

If the 2007s follow the same convention as other years, the PA will have a VIN with different vehicle description section (characters 4 through 8). From 2005 on, the non-ABS model was SC510 and the ABS was SC514. The only year I have a confirmed VDS for a PA is 2010, when it was SC517.

HTH.

--Mark

Top Bottom