Article [13] ST1300 - Poor Man's '08 Panel Install

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
OK. First an apology for not taking pictures during the install. This was completed in 5 minutes and while I was looking for an oil drain pan this was completed and buttoned up.

So I have taken the parts off and photo'd them and have tried to give you an idea of how this works.

Trust me it's easy.

1.) Eat some pie. This will make everything so much easier.

2.) Remove your seat. I assume you know how.

3.) Remove the three allen head bolts holding on the side panel.

4.) Polish the side panel that you removed. It's easy to do now.

5.) Loose the factory fuse block from the stock battery cover. Gently pry this upwards until it is hanging loose.

6.) Remove the stock battery cover. There is a clip on the top, away from you, push down on the clip whilst pulling cover. Throw this in your Parts Box so you can throw it away later.

7.) Wipe off the frame lip under this area to prepare for Velcro adhesion. Sounds so Technical .... oooooohhhhhhh exciting now isn't it ?

8.) Apply 1/2" Velcro fuzzy to the frame in about an 8" - 10" length. Precision is not necessary. However, if it is to you cut the Velcro to EXACTLY 9.34" !

8.a) Leave about 1/4" clearance from the front edge of the frame. Too much here and you'll have fuzzy hanging out from under the panel and this isn't a GoldWing so leave no fuzz showing.

9.) Remove the solid '08 Side Panel from it's shipping packing.

10.) Adhere 1/4" Velcro itchy side to about 8" - 10" of the lower lip of the panel.

10.a) If you cut your Velcro fuzzy to EXACTLY 9.34" then cut the Velcro itchy side to EXACTLY 9.35" (to allow shrinkage) and apply DIRECTLY inline with the Velcro fuzzy. If you misaligned this portion, remove all Velcro, curse the day you were born and start all over ....... LOSER !

11.) Snap this cover into place in reverse of removing the stock battery cover. Pay attention to adhere your Velco pieces.

12.) Put the factory fuse block in place. You know where it goes you just took it off 2 minutes ago. What are you a Goldfish ?

13.) Place the side cover you just had your kid polish back into place and put the allen head bolts back on and torque to exactly .... whatever holds them in place.

Consult the pictures below for visual aids.

For the other side it is slightly more complicated.

I will need to photo that for you as well. There is a drill involved so you may need your wife to help you.

There is a thread on this board so let me find that and I'll edit this post with that information. I don't want to misguide your drilling action.

In this article: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39433&highlight=side+panels

There is a bracket which was mounted on the right side on a plastic tray thing that looks like it is holding some electrical stuff. If you drill a hole, big enough for a tie wrap, in the non-electrical portion just like on this article you will tie wrap the 08 right side panel to this hole and velcro everything else just like on the right side.

This side is easy too.

Let me know if you want pictures for this side and I'll be happy to do that for you.

Thanks to Adam for the install and wow what a difference ! I do like 'em plenty.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
Re: Poor Man's '08 Panel Install - pictures

:crackup ..........man, I'm glad you did the write up. I couldn't have held a light to this. Your Literary Excellence Award is in the mail. :D

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!

Let me be the first...

oooooh, ahhhhhh

Looks good guys!

Ray

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #

I will print out these instructions when I go to do my install and let you know if they work! :roll:

After looking at the pictures, I don't know, maybe I need Byron to come down and help...:eek:4:

I can just see me screwing up the velcro application...it looks difficult :cus:

Boy all this technical stuff just makes me :nuts1:

:crackup

Mark, Great writeup! :clap2:

As Adam said, I ordered my set yesterday, so be sure to be the first on your block to order yours! :D

Sure...its easy...:bow1:

till... Trust me it's easy.

1.) Eat some pie. This will make everything so much easier.

I couldn't do a thing after that piece of (freshly picked) raspberry pie..with a scoop of vanilla ice cream :D

Seriously... great instructions..can't wait until my panels arrive !!

Thanks Todd

A very helpful and relatively cheap addition! Thanks for sharing!!! And keep them good ideas coming....!!!!

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #

ok... that's it.... It's ON now... Where can I get some? and how much do they cost? :confused: :mad:
:cool:

OP
OP
Capt_Gruuvy

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #

Good job Adam. I was planning to do this over the weekend but you did a very nice job with the Photoshop action.

Thanks !

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #

Ok, guys......where's them pics of those nice, new, freshly installed side covers?? Let's see 'em.
um...I didn't take any....?:eek::

I got them installed Saturday. The only two things I did different, I used 1/4 inch strips of velcro about 1 1/2" long (3 on each side) and made a bracket and used screws to hold the left side top in place, instead of a zip tie.:)

Looks great. Next time I'm in I'll show you! :D

Thanks for the writeup! STealer in NOVA ordered and got them to me in 4 days. Install worked for me, now I just have to figure out where to relocate my battery-tender SAE and heated gear coax connectors (had them zip-tied next to battery area).

OP
OP
Capt_Gruuvy

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #

Thanks for the writeup! STealer in NOVA ordered and got them to me in 4 days. Install worked for me, now I just have to figure out where to relocate my battery-tender SAE and heated gear coax connectors (had them zip-tied next to battery area).
My battery tender is now routed safely under the seat. I don't plug anything in usually although maybe this winter when it is about 50* out I might want some coffee .....

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #

Ordered the covers, and a pair of saddle bag stoppers to replace the broken ones in my Hondaline trunk. (Why can't manufacturers get this kind of thing right in the first place?)

God only knows when I'll have time to finish all the farkles I've got planned.

Bike
2005 ST

Looks great just order them today from a local Honda dealer.

Now if only DSS would get my 06 top box in.
I ordered my 06top box and spoiler from DSS back on 6/23, still waiting on the back order. I hope to have it and mounted before the snow is coming down in Colorado :(

Top Bottom