OP
OP
Capt_Gruuvy

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
Re: Poor Man's '08 Panel Install - pictures

:th1:

The intention of this Article is to demonstrate the "How" factor of installing the '08 side panels with velcro vs. drilling the frame.

Anything else is outside of the original intent and could become convoluted to someone looking to complete this simple install.

Please bring this back to the original context.

STOC #

:th1:

The intention of this Article is to demonstrate the "How" factor of installing the '08 side panels with velcro vs. drilling the frame.

Anything else is outside of the original intent and could become convoluted to someone looking to complete this simple install.

Please bring this back to the original context.
I'll consider myself soundly spanked now. My apologies. I just wanted to alert those who felt there was some reverse engineering for hard mounting involved (because it would seem they missed the prior threads).

Perhaps what would make sense is it combine any and all instructions and part numbers involved with the side covers into one sticky thread that people can easily reference.

Bike
2006 ST1300

Loved the article.....Great idea.....ran right down to Honda and ordered a set. Love how they look on the bike. My '06 is black, and they really finish it off. Thanks for the idea and the how-to.

jim:06biker:

Blue One

Vendor
Bike
04 ABS ST1300

I'll consider myself soundly spanked now. My apologies. I just wanted to alert those who felt there was some reverse engineering for hard mounting involved (because it would seem they missed the prior threads).

Perhaps what would make sense is it combine any and all instructions and part numbers involved with the side covers into one sticky thread that people can easily reference.
Line us up and shoot us :D We were caught by the thread police ;) Good idea by the way.

Bike
2007 ST1300ABS

Gruuvy,

The photos show you installing the panels on a red ST--I assume an 08 or 05. Will this work on other years--07's for example? I believe it will, but want to make sure before ordering the panels.

Thanks for the info....

Dave

Bike
2007 ST1300ABS

sorry, just read above and see that someone did this on his 06...my question was answered!

Bike
'07 ST1300

side panels for looks? or for engine heat? protect electrics/battery from the elements?

no engine heat problem

no need for side panels

they look good though, might get some-

dual lock does work good, used it on my Aeroflow flow plate

drill and tap would be ok too, but I'm very hesitant to drill my side panel......

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #

As far as velcro goes you may or may not have seen my posts on the way to Moonshine last year . I used velcro to hold my gas cap key (yes I have a different gas cap than ignition switch) But the velcro gave up and I lost my key. Just something to think about when using velcro.

OP
OP
Capt_Gruuvy

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #

Going on 49,000 miles .... still hanging on and lookin good.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #

side panels for looks? or for engine heat? protect electrics/battery from the elements?

no engine heat problem

no need for side panels

they look good though, might get some-

dual lock does work good, used it on my Aeroflow flow plate

drill and tap would be ok too, but I'm very hesitant to drill my side panel......
They're just for looks........they do nothing for heat. This is strictly a way to add the panels without drilling the frame.

As far as velcro goes you may or may not have seen my posts on the way to Moonshine last year . I used velcro to hold my gas cap key (yes I have a different gas cap than ignition switch) But the velcro gave up and I lost my key. Just something to think about when using velcro.

The panels do bolt/connect at the top but lack the clips at the bottom to keep them from flapping around. That is what the velcro is for.

Bike
st1300a

i fitted my panels the same way as blue one but rather than drill the frame i ran brackets from my battery box and on the left side a bracket from the exhaust mount to keep the bottom edge solid

Bike
st1300a

ive not read any posts of people fitting the small triangle pieces off of the o8 bikes,could it be the price putting people off part nu,50653mcsa30,50753mcsa30 22.17euro each for us across the pond

Gandolkf

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Wing
STOC #

I put the covers on for looks (not bad for under $30 Delevered)
I ussually have on jeans when I ride,no heat problems.
but I took a little ride in shorts to radioshack and did feel a little heat thru those areas.
After the covers were on less heat on my ankles,not the reason I put them on but helps a little

ive not read any posts of people fitting the small triangle pieces off of the o8 bikes,could it be the price putting people off part nu,50653mcsa30,50753mcsa30 22.17euro each for us across the pond
Any picture available of this triangle piece...? Seeing the price it must be something else then the panels since I've paid about ?9 for them each....

Bike
st1300a

service honda wont ship to uk unless the order is over $150.is there anyone willing to post me these items along with a right hand side engine cover.i have a paypal account for payment.

Bike
st1300a

hi stingray,yes i can wait no problem if you are prepared to send them to me.the engine coveris theblack plastic bump on the fairing i think its actually called engine guard.item number 64260mcsg01.if you could mail me when you get back i'l sort some money out with you.cheers alan.

Top Bottom