Article [13] ST1300 - Poor Man's '08 Panel Install

Bike
2004 st1300
Re: Poor Man's '08 Panel Install - pictures

Are these side covers purely a lookie item or do they help to prevent heat to the legs?

Thanks

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #

I don't know, but I also found that there are small triangular rubbers that go into the frame holes just below where these covers go.
These are 3x's the price of these big black plastic covers!!!:22yikes:
But they really finish the looks off.

I don't know, but I also found that there are small triangular rubbers that go into the frame holes just below where these covers go.
But they really finish the looks off.

Correct.....AND they save me my right foot from being cooked by the hot air coming from that "hole".....

IBG

Bike
st1300

My side panels have arrived from CSML.NL and I will fit them this weekend. Probably will use a combination of fittments. Had to get the velco extreme industrial waterproof from the States as this is not listed in the UK. Will let you all know how how it goes.
Ian

IBG

Bike
st1300

Hi. fitting completed. Took 2 hours . Right hnd side was easy. front clip fits into side penel attatcment. Put Velctro industrial on inside of new cover and on battery job done. L hand side used velcro strips at bottom and 2 cable ties at top. Great job done. Will put pics on when I am Shown. No unsightly velcro to be seen. 54 St1300
Ian

Bike
2006 ST1300
I am a little late to the party as it is about 6 years since this thread started, but I just installed the right hand cover on my 2006 ST tonight. I'll install the left hand cover another night this week.

Thanks for all the photos and discussion. This is a really nice upgrade.

Joel

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Once I start tearing in to my '04 to do some major maintenance & repairs (replace the swingarm and all new seals and o-rings for the rear engine case oil leaks and replace all the coolant hoses and try using gates thermal plastics hose clamps, I will also be installing, as close to 2008 style parts to it for my lower covers. I'll take pictures of them while I do it. It took forever to get the parts in and I never did get all of them...but, they will do the job! :D

Might also take me forever to even get the job done...if I go with the rate I have on the 2010! :eek:4:

Bike
2006 ST1300
I installed the left side panel tonight. I had a little bit of fun with this one. I decided to design and then 3D print two brackets to hold the panel to the bike. I'm equipped with a mill and lathe, and most recently a 3D printer. I prototyped the parts in plastic, and had planned to machine them from aluminum once I had the fit down. However, the plastic parts work so well, that I am not inclined to spend any time machining the metal. It won't offer me any advantage, other than, it's metal, and maybe having a plastic bracket on my awesome ST1300 is not cool. But, that being said, I'm going to use them for a while. If they fail me, I'll make some metal parts.

The right hand side bracket was a traditional L shaped bracket as others have made. I sloted the side of the bracket so I could adjust the exact position. I embedded a cylinder the diameter of the hole in the plastic tab on the body panel, so that it fits exactly onto the bracket. I drilled a hole in the plastic and fit a 3mm bolt through the front that holds the body panel to the bracket. The bracket looks like this:

Screen Shot 2014-04-02 at 9.48.24 PM.png

I wanted to try to mount this without drilling any holes in the metal frame, and decided to try making a different sort of bracket that wouldn't require anything like that. So what I decided to do, was to create a cylinder shaped standoff, 26mm long, that would fit into the left hand side plastic mounting tab of the body panel. A self tapping screw holds the body panel to the cylinder. On the other end of the cylinder, is a 36mm x 36mm square. I used 3M industrial strength 20lb double sided mounting tape to adhere the back side of the bracket to the metal shell on the inside. The double sided tape holds the bracket extremely well. That metal is smooooooth, and a great surface for this option. No holes required. This bracket looks like this:

Screen Shot 2014-04-02 at 9.49.59 PM.png

The two brackets hold the body panel in place firmly enough, that I don't think I need any velcro to hold the bottom of the body panel in position. It's so well held in place right now, that I think it will stay just where it is. If it turns out that it does not, then I can 3D print a bracket for the bottom mounting tabs that hold it into position. I am not worried though. I think it will hold up just fine.

Joel

Bike
'03 ST1300
I know that this thread is a bit out of date. However I ordered the panels from my local Honda place and they're on back order. Didn't ask for a date, but just thought someone might want to be prepared for a little wait like there was a few years back.

Until this morning, I didn't know you could add panels there. Went out to the garage to look and instantly knew the bike needed them. It's as if the originals that should be there have fallen off, for the price $21 for two I thought it was a cheap way for a nicer look. Plus it must add 0.02 mpg in aerodynamics. :)

Joel, how easy and how many $ was it for you to do in plastic? I'd love a set if it's a better way to install them. I'd buy you a beer if you're ever in Phoenix dude.

Rossi

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
I finally had an opportunity to take the photos of the brackets installed in the machine, so now I can add them.

The first photo shows both brackets installed.

IMG_1124.jpg

The next two photos show the L bracket, just giving slightly different angles so you can see how the screws are installed. One 3mm hole is drilled in the fuse block where the bracket goes. The bracket has a slot in it to allow for fine position of the bracket. There's a nub in the other side of the L bracket that fits into the hole of the mounting tab of the body panel. I drilled a 3mm hole through the nub and used a 3mm screw/washer/nylock nut to hold it together.

IMG_1126.jpgIMG_1129.jpg

This photo shows the forward bracket. The bottom of the bracket is connected to the ST via industrial strength 3M double sided tape (the black tape with the red carrier, 20LB strength). Then a self tapping screw is inserted through the panel's mounting tab and fastens it to the bracket.

IMG_1127.jpg

That's it!

Joel

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Nice work on those brackets, Joel. As I've got a 2010 the covers are already there. I want to make the left side removable so I can add the dual 12V socket and bracket combo (pricey!) but keep then covered when not in use.

Your brackets have given me an idea or two about accomplishing this. Thanks for the pics and motivation.

Northern Dancer

Northern-Dancer
Bike
ST1300PA Police
For some reason I am not allowed to start a Thread in this Forum but a I can reply to one??

So I would like to show what I recently added to my ST1300 -- Quick Scan Mirrors which eliminate the Blind Spot totally and Crash Bars from a Goldwing Trike Take off adapted to a St1300 (Another fellow posted about this Crash Bar addition great Idea)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104754965/ST1300 Quick Scan Mirrors & Crash Bars-1.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104754965/ST1300 Quick Scan Mirrors & Crash Bars-2.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104754965/ST1300 Quick Scan Mirrors & Crash Bars-9.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104754965/ST1300 Quick Scan Mirrors & Crash Bars-4.JPG

Northern Dancer,

Regards,

Ron

Last edited:

Northern Dancer

Northern-Dancer
Bike
ST1300PA Police
Looking at your pictures you really need to flush your clutch fluid, and while you are at it do your brakes also.
++++++++++++++++++++++++
Thanks for noticing the Clutch Fluid being colored -- I will be flushing it shortly -- Brakes are looking good but will flush them as well

Top Bottom