Article [13] ST1300 - Key Blanks

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Re: ST1300 Key Blanks

I just got two of the plated brass blanks from mysecuritypro. Cost was $9.82 shipped for both of the blanks. Just another option if you do not want the nice Honda molded end.

Kevin

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Thanks Kevin, good info.

Two Ace hardware stores in my area have Ilco blanks for the 1300. They stock and cut them for about $2.50 each. They work fine.

Putt

R.I.P. - 2009/05/29
Rest In Peace
STOC #

I just got two of the all steel blanks from mysecuritypro. Cost was $9.82 shipped for both of the blanks. Just another option if you do not want the nice Honda molded end.

Kevin
These actually steel blanks, Kevin??
Saw some nickle plated key blanks...
Have been looking for steel or aluminum blanks for
a long time without much success..

Putt...

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #

Putt...
I stand corrected and they are in fact plated brass keys. Had them cut today and they did a bad job. Do not work. The double cut is not a mirror image of each other. I could see that but until I actually tried them could not really complain. They do work in the side bags, bag release levers, gas cap and glove box. I already have the short keys and knobs for all of these so I have "boat" anchors. Will go back and see what they will do. He asked if I wanted both cut and figured, hey they do double cut keys already so why not mine. %*^*^.

I am leaving Thursday for Colorado and NO backup key. Not a good feeling.

Kevin

Putt

R.I.P. - 2009/05/29
Rest In Peace
STOC #

I stand corrected and they are in fact plated brass keys. Had them cut today and they did a bad job. Do not work. The double cut is not a mirror image of each other. I could see that but until I actually tried them could not really complain. They do work in the side bags, bag release levers, gas cap and glove box. I already have the short keys and knobs for all of these so I have "boat" anchors. Will go back and see what they will do. He asked if I wanted both cut and figured, hey they do double cut keys already so why not mine. %*^*^.

I am leaving Thursday for Colorado and NO backup key. Not a good feeling.

Kevin
I have a couple that will work one way, but not the other...
You did try and reverse them to see if they would work, right?
:D
Putt...

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #

I have a couple that will work one way, but not the other...
You did try and reverse them to see if they would work, right?
:D
Putt...

Try and retry and then the usual comments not allowed on this site. They will only work one way in the side locks. The ignition might be double pin cylinders. They are off about 1/2 a peak to valley. Not even close. I will be trying the local Ace Hardware stores in my area for blanks.

I got the blanks from the site I posted above in 2 days. Ordered on Sunday and had them on Tuesday. Will do the same today if I strike out at Ace.

Kevin

Last edited:
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #

I thought that I was the heavy handed yahoo that opened the gas cap and snapped the key in half. The "key" was in the lock and the stupid was on my face. I picked it out and, luckily for me, reached into the Stitch and behold, I'm a smart guy. The second one was in the ignition lock and that one, I just bend sideways a bit and pulled it out and turned it around to start the bike. Got two more rekeyed with both sides. Oiled the gascap lock as it felt a little stiff opening it. Maybe take the key to a locksmith and have two steel ones made. I also have made the hard bags and fairing boxes short keys with hardware store dials. Best idea to save frustration in and out of those boxes as we travel. Can't be used for the ignition as they're too short.
Don't become "Keyed off".Jim

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #

Putt...
The Ilco blank in the OP is steel, not brass. At least, the cut section of the key looks just like the uncut section--it's not brass, and it's too heavy for aluminum. I don't have a magent handy to test with.

I wouldn't recommend aluminum: too soft, too easily breakable.

Jerseyst

Official Crown Royal TeSTer
Bike
st 1300
STOC #

Then take the extra key,pull mirror off and tape it in there. Easy hiding spot and if you ever lose a key you have one "on the bike".

Putt

R.I.P. - 2009/05/29
Rest In Peace
STOC #

The Ilco blank in the OP is steel, not brass. At least, the cut section of the key looks just like the uncut section--it's not brass, and it's too heavy for aluminum. I don't have a magent handy to test with.

I wouldn't recommend aluminum: too soft, too easily breakable.

Would be interested in a steel blank, all the ILCO blanks I have seen are plated brass... That doggone double notch near the fob end of the key is
a weak spot... A steel key would help alleviate that problem..

Putt..

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #

ILCO x261 is the shorter version for those that want a separate key for just the panniers, glovebox and gas cap. x261 is for kawasaki and old nissan/datsuns

Folks have also used ILCO x71 as well for short keys. x71 is an old honda civic key blank

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles

I just got 2 spare keys made at Ace hardware HYCO blank key code HD109 for $1.99 each. Will tape one to the bike somewhere.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

During the Big Bend Bash, Jeff had a key that looked like it was held together by magic.. we were able to find a key blank that would fit the gas tank / saddlebags but not the ignition.. this was enough to get him home where the spare was..

Anyway, Coop gave me a good idea.. yeah, that's right Coop... So, I ordered a few blanks to keep with me in case someone needs a blank during an event. I'll probably have 8 with me so is you're at an event and your key looks like it might break, just look for me and I'll give you a blank so we can find a place to have a new key cut.

Thanks Coop!

Bike
ST1300
STOC #

Got a spare key made today at ACE hardware.
COLE DA23 (fits Datsun)
Not sure what it's made of, but think it's aluminum. It's not plated.
Fits ignition, luggage, gas cap.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Got a spare key made today at ACE hardware.
COLE DA23 (fits Datsun)
Not sure what it's made of, but think it's aluminum. It's not plated.
Fits ignition, luggage, gas cap.
Thanks Don, I just added that to the first post.

Top Bottom