Article [13] ST1300 - Key Blanks

Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Re: ST1300 Key Blanks

The shortened key, with stove knob, that I use in my locking fairing pocket also works in my tank cover. I think the shortened part bends less in a tank application. I'm quite sure the Ilco blank is brass. I just looked at the top part that was left over when I made the pannier and fairing keys.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Yeah.. the ILCOs are brass.. did the magnet test.. I just had 3 keys made .. one spare in my two main jackets and one I'll use on the bike and my 2 OEMs at home.

I'll have 7 blanks with me at all times in case anyone is with me at an event and might need one as an emergency.

Jefro

I ride to Sturgis

I had a good locksmith cut a standard Honda key blank just on one side only.
This is very strong, and feels like it will never break off in the gas cap or saddlebags.
But it will not fit the ignition which uses a double set of pins.

The Smith cut an ILCO X261 short key for me, but it wouldn't fit anything.
He said he positioned it in the grinder near the heel just like the standard key, but maybe he should have tried positioning it off the tip instead.
Maybe I'll have him try that next time.
Jefro.

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #

The short keys work but you have to tip cut them, not shoulder cut.

Harpo

Four Stars
Bike
Kawasaki VN800E

All this banter hasn't clarified a thing for me. What's the deal with short keys,
single cut keys, stove knobs, and all this other stuff? Somebody please summarize
here?

Bike
2006 ST1300
Is there any updated sources and/or part numbers for key blanks? I have been trying since I bought my ST and can't get a key made. I went to every key maker in town a couple weeks ago and had no luck. Here are my results:

-Ilco X265 HD109: Out of the two places that do Ilco, neither had any info on these numbers. They just plain don't exist for their key blanks. I helped them look, and they don't exist.

-Cole DA23: This doesn't seem to be a Cole number any more. 3 Cole key makers, and none had this number listed. The only place that had DA23 for a key blank was Ilco, but their DA23 isn't long enough to work in the ignition.

-We tried matching my ST1300 key up to the few Datsun options, and none matched.

Any help would be appreciated.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Should be the same key, Jim. The blank is motorcycle-specific and is the same one as for a bunch of CBRs, the Viffer and a few others. Ilco still lists it in its latest motorcycle key guide.

The X265 doesn't appear in their car catalog, so you may be running into locksmiths who don't stock motorcycle keys. Blanks are available online for a couple of dollars each if you can't find any locally.

ETA: I'm bringing the Key Blanks section of the STWiki PartsCatalog page up to date with the latest information I can find.

--Mark

Bike
2006 ST1300
I just ordered two Ilco X265 HD109 off ebay. Hopefully they fit...at $4 each I was hoping to get them locally, at least if they get cut wrong I get free replacements. Since half the keys I've ever had cut don't work, this should leave me one good key if they screw one up.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
When I bought my keys off the Internet, I sent the lock smith the numbers off the little tags that where attached to the OEM keys. If you still have those tags, send the numbers off to the guy if he cuts keys. My keys came and they fit perfect.
I feel it's better that way as you are not using a worn out key to make a duplicate.

Zonker

Matt Christian
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
ILCO X265 HD109 Ignition

ACE hardware-COLE DA23 (fits Datsun)

ILCO X132 Hondaline Top Box

Source for Replacement keys:
http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/blanks2.html
Thanks Mellow...

My 06 (or mistress according to my wife) had only one original key and one beat-up copy when I brought her home from the dealer. I'm basically paranoid about not having redundant keys. So armed with the info you posted I ventured to my Ace Hardware store and explained my plight. After a few minutes Lisa produced two quite serviceable keys. *Note she did have to touch-up one deep cut by hand as the machine undercut it consistently* The two spanking new spare keys in my hand cost the staggering sum of $5.00.

Best of all it took only a few minutes and the five bucks were spent locally. =)

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Good info here as always.
I have to stop at the local ACE and see if they can make me a few spares. Otherwise I need to order some.
No need for the top box key as after i broke that one off I messed up the lock trying to open it and now it will lock and unlock without the key in it. So I also need to replace the lock.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I had a major problem yesterday when I went to open my gas cap and my key broke half way through! I was able to very carefully unlock the cap and start the bike after, but I'm leaving the key in the ignition until new key blanks come in. I had a pair but I guess they didn't move when I did. Hopefully the new blanks I bought off ebay get here before the key finishes breaking!

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
I had a major problem yesterday when I went to open my gas cap and my key broke half way through! I was able to very carefully unlock the cap and start the bike after, but I'm leaving the key in the ignition until new key blanks come in
All the more reason to make the shorty keys that work the glove box and side cases. I ALWAYS use the glove box key to open the gas cap. Short key NO chance to flex it and cause this. Have used to same key since bought in 2006.

Hope your blanks arrive before you need fuel again.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I have the knobs made, just don't use them for the gas cap. I think I'll order one of the keyless gas caps.

Oh...and with the aux tank on, I have a range of 500 miles. I'll be good for a couple days. Worse case, I'll fill the aux tank and let it drain into the main so I don't have to open the main.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Problem partially solved. My blanks came in (I bought 2) and I had them make one key off the partially broken/bent OEM key. Fail. I took a big chance and used pliers to straighten the bent & cracked original key then had them clamp it up so the very slight bow that was left was away from the wheel, so it left as much meat as possible. Second try resulted in a key that kind of works in the ignition, with a jiggle to help it out, but barely works in the gas cap. Crap. Can a new key be bought from Honda using the VIN#? I'm worried I'll get stuck during the Minuteman rally this weekend since I only have a broken OEM, and a barely working duplicate.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Can a new key be bought from Honda using the VIN#?
Not sure about that.. but I wonder if you took the partially broken key and the lock core from the saddlebag hold down lever to a locksmith if they couldn't make a full working replacement.

I do believe the all the secondary luggage locks on the ST use the full compliment of 5 pins in the tumbler, they just do it closer to the surface.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Thnaks to the info by all the fine people on this forum I stopped at the local ACE and had four keys made. My Orig key is now hanging with the other bike keys as a spare to the spares.
Thank you all.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Problem partially solved. My blanks came in (I bought 2) and I had them make one key off the partially broken/bent OEM key. Fail. I took a big chance and used pliers to straighten the bent & cracked original key then had them clamp it up so the very slight bow that was left was away from the wheel, so it left as much meat as possible. Second try resulted in a key that kind of works in the ignition, with a jiggle to help it out, but barely works in the gas cap. Crap. Can a new key be bought from Honda using the VIN#? I'm worried I'll get stuck during the Minuteman rally this weekend since I only have a broken OEM, and a barely working duplicate.
Some may be able to cut one from the number on the brass tag that came with the oem keys. You'd think the VIN number would also ID the keying but I don't know.
Id call 1st it depends on what machine they have.
Bring ID and proof of ownership if you're not on the bike.

If you have a local Ace Hardware they likely have the blanks in stock to give it another shot.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I have tried at least 20 Ace Hardwares and none have had the key blanks. I actually have my local store trying to get them but they haven't had any luck yet.

My original key is bent just enough that it will be nearly useless to work from. If I had access to a key cutter myself I could use one of the knobs from my saddlebag to cut a new key, but the guys at any of the stores won't try, or let me use their machine. I'm half tempted to get more blanks off ebay and carefully try duplicating one by hand. It would take a little while but would be very accurate. Then I can use that to make more.

Top Bottom