ST1300 will not start

yesterday I picked up a pack of water and put it in my top trunk. I rode several miles, as I approached a hill the bike cut off. I restarted it and went on, a minute later it turned off again. I had to turn it off a few minutes and then it started again. I made it home and it cut off again in my driveway. When I opened the trunk the water had burst and the trunk was leaking water. ( I think this may be connected to the problem) Now the bike will not start, it turns but will not start. Also, when I turn the key the lights, fuel gauge, mileage etc. does not light up. Does anyone know what might be going on with my sT1300ABS? H.E.L.P!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Are there aftermarket lights on the rear or your bike?

It is possible you have a faulty connection in the rear or the tail section.

Or, the water could have made it all the way to the fuses and battery section...

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
This neeeds to be diagnosed methodically.

1) Do you hear the fuel pump when you turn on the key?

2) Double check all the fuses. Pull and re-insert even if they look good.

3) Pull one of the plugs, stick it back in the boot, and hold it so the metal part touches the engine. (Use insulated pliers to hold the plug!!!) Have a helper try to start the bike. Do you have spark? Repeat with the other bank.

OP
OP
Ok.. Spark is found at the plug. All fuses have been double checked and I do hear the fuel pump when the key is turned to the acc position.
What next?

tdeboeser

that's not me!
STOC #
yesterday I picked up a pack of water and put it in my top trunk. I rode several miles, as I approached a hill the bike cut off. I restarted it and went on, a minute later it turned off again. I had to turn it off a few minutes and then it started again. I made it home and it cut off again in my driveway. When I opened the trunk the water had burst and the trunk was leaking water. ( I think this may be connected to the problem) Now the bike will not start, it turns but will not start. Also, when I turn the key the lights, fuel gauge, mileage etc. does not light up. Does anyone know what might be going on with my sT1300ABS? H.E.L.P!!!!!!!!!!!!!
nedlob said:
Ok.. Spark is found at the plug. All fuses have been double checked and I do hear the fuel pump when the key is turned to the acc position.
What next?
If you are turning the key to the ACC position you will not get mileage, fuel gauge, etc. Are you turning the key to the ACC position? You should be turning to the position before this, "ON".

If you are turning to the "ON" position and your "information center" (fuel, mileage, etc.) is still dark, then your problem is electrical. Does your ST's trunk have a tail light? Have you removed the trunk and tried starting it? Do you have any farkles in/towards the rear of the bike ( i.e. hyper lights, starcom1 )? If you do then try unplugging them and try starting your ST.

EDIT: Also, check your kill switch... you never know :D
Good luck and let us know

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
He won't get spark with the kill switch off. I don't think he'll get spark in the accessory position, either.

Did you fill up when you bought water, by any chance? There was a recent thread here where a poster got a bunch of water in the gas, although that shouldn't affect the lights, etc. But if you've got spark, it almost has to be a fuel related issue. Did you check all the plugs for spark? One coil could be bad, but I would expect it to run, poorly, on two cylinders.

Is your ST under warranty? If so, I think it's time for a call to the dealer. If not, I'll look at the shop manual this evening and see if I can come up with any other ideas.

alan

R.I.P - 3/20/2011
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
He won't get spark with the kill switch off. I don't think he'll get spark in the accessory position, either.
You can't even crank the starter if the kill switch is in the off position.

Since he lost some electrical displays, this does not sound like the problem I had with water in the gas. If all his electrics were working, then it sounds like my water problem.

OP
OP
Correction, I was turning the key to the on position. The Trunk does not have brake lights on it and I had a half tank of gas according to the fuel gauge when the bike cut off. The bike is 2003, not under warranty but I just found out that there are 2 open recalls that have not been done on the bike (Ground connector recall and Wiring Harness). Also, the bike did seem to be quite hot during my ride (Temp Guage read normal). I'll have to tow it to the dealer and hopefully it is because of the open recalls. I do appreciated the input from All of you. I feel really lost without my bike. The ST has really been good to me up until now. You don't pay for recalls/

OP
OP

Did you fill up when you bought water, by any chance? There was a recent thread here where a poster got a bunch of water in the gas, although that shouldn't affect the lights, etc. But if you've got spark, it almost has to be a fuel related issue. Did you check all the plugs for spark? One coil could be bad, but I would expect it to run, poorly, on two cylinders.

Is your ST under warranty? If so, I think it's time for a call to the dealer. If not, I'll look at the shop manual this evening and see if I can come up with any other ideas.
Did not fill up at that time. Still had a 1/2 tank remaining. How many relays are on the st1300. where can I find a good schematic of electrical?

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Correction, I was turning the key to the on position. The Trunk does not have brake lights on it and I had a half tank of gas according to the fuel gauge when the bike cut off. The bike is 2003, not under warranty but I just found out that there are 2 open recalls that have not been done on the bike (Ground connector recall and Wiring Harness). Also, the bike did seem to be quite hot during my ride (Temp Guage read normal). I'll have to tow it to the dealer and hopefully it is because of the open recalls. I do appreciated the input from All of you. I feel really lost without my bike. The ST has really been good to me up until now. You don't pay for recalls/
You need to get those checked and also the wiring under the seat that runs near the frame.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
With the kickstand reading down, I don't think the bike will even crank, will it?

This is a very strange set of problems. Since you're getting spark, it doesn't seem to be electrical, but yet you have other electrical systems out. Damn, these computerized, fuel injected bikes are a lot harder to diagnose than the good old 1100.

My bet, based on what you've described, is an issue related to fuel injection. You say the pump is running, so it's not that. It sounds like maybe the fuel injectors are not firing for some reason.

I think there's an online copy of the wiring schematic. Let me see if I can find it.....

Here's one, on page 27: http://www.ridethatbike.com/ST1300/2006 ST1300 SETUP.pdf

Good luck at the dealer.

OP
OP
Are there aftermarket lights on the rear or your bike?

It is possible you have a faulty connection in the rear or the tail section.

Or, the water could have made it all the way to the fuses and battery section...
faulty connection in the rear or tail section is possible, but I have not found it. As for water making its way to the fuses and battery. no. because water is what I thought it was initially and I searched for water/ dampness immediately after discovering the bottle had leaked. I did not find any dampness although at that time I thought water had something to do with the problem because of the timing of the incident. I now think different. I'm now thinking recall wiring harness and or grounding as another member brought my attention to. I have an appointment at honda Powersports on wednesday (the earliest time I can have it towed at a reasonable price) Hopefully the Work will not cost me too much. Best case senario the problem is the result of the Recall work not being done. I'm thinking in that case it will not cost me or I will be reimbursted. If something else is the cause. OH WELL!!! Its mandatory that I have my bike back in working condition. I'm missing some beautiful riding days in this neck of the woods. thx for the input.

OP
OP
With the kickstand reading down, I don't think the bike will even crank, will it?

This is a very strange set of problems. Since you're getting spark, it doesn't seem to be electrical, but yet you have other electrical systems out. Damn, these computerized, fuel injected bikes are a lot harder to diagnose than the good old 1100.

Here's one, on page 27: http://www.ridethatbike.com/ST1300/2006 ST1300 SETUP.pdf

Good luck at the dealer.

My bet, based on what you've described, is an issue related to fuel injection. You say the pump is running, so it's not that. It sounds like maybe the fuel injectors are not firing for some reason.

I think there's an online copy of the wiring schematic. Let me see if I can find it.....

Thanks for the schematics. I initially thought the ignition coil could be the culprit but with the other electrical accessories not working. Its definitely electrical. The Recall of wiring harness \ connectors really add up to me. since I now know they have not been completed. I'll let you all know what the outcome is. Thats for sure

OP
OP
Kill switch???? I'm not familiar with this kill switch. Where is it?

The kill switch is the red switch on your right handle bar. Push it up and it will shut everything off, down and everything should work as normal.

Top Bottom