ST1300 will not start

STOC #
Experiencing this problem after washing the bike. Went 15 miles and then quit, had to have it towed home.
Was there ever a resolution on this thread/problem. Before I replace the ECM I want to know if there is a logical explanation for this behaviour.
Also an ST1300 (2003) Not in the serial number range of the recal notices.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Experiencing this problem after washing the bike. Went 15 miles and then quit, had to have it towed home.
Was there ever a resolution on this thread/problem. Before I replace the ECM I want to know if there is a logical explanation for this behaviour.
You might want to check the wires that go from that handlebars to the front of the bike. There have been some with wire chaffing issues in areas where the wires touch parts of the handlebars/frame.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
The original poster hasn't been on since his posts in this thread.
Didn't think there were serial numbers involved for the 03 04 recalls. Not in the states anyhow.

Bike
2005 ST 1300
With the kickstand reading down, I don't think the bike will even crank, will it?
If the bike is in neutral it will crank and start with the kickstand down..trust me I kill the bike everytime I go to take off because the stand is still down. I knew bypassing the kickstand switch on my KLX 250 Dual Sport would ruin me for any other bike. LOL

Bike
ST 1300 E
Nedlob: finaly wich was the solution, I have the same problem raiding on road begun the problem, suddenly the dash panel turn off, main lights off, engine off, but the secondary dash all lights on except FI red light, at this point if I push the start buton it works but the engine dont start because the FI ligth is off I turned the main switch to off and on, several times until the dash panel turn on again The FI light turn on and the engine start and all works properly, ride to home 300 hundred miles with out problem, but tonigth having a ride through the city make a stop, when treat to start again the same problem, turn off and on the main switch several times until the dash panel, lights turn on again, I decide come back home and repeat the problem twice.

Bike
ST 1300 E
Kill switch???? I'm not familiar with this kill switch. Where is it?
Nedlob: finaly wich was the solution, I have the same problem raiding on road begun the problem, suddenly the dash panel turn off, main lights off, engine off, but the secondary dash all lights on except FI red light, at this point if I push the start buton it works but the engine dont start because the FI ligth is off I turned the main switch to off and on, several times until the dash panel turn on again The FI light turn on and the engine start and all works properly, ride to home 300 hundred miles with out problem, but tonigth having a ride through the city make a stop, when treat to start again the same problem, turn off and on the main switch several times until the dash panel, lights turn on again, I decide come back home and repeat the problem twice.

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
R2D2 you might check the green wire in the big wiring connector under the left middle cowl. It has been known to cause symptoms like yours. Look for signs of overheating on the green wire. There are several threads on this ground problem.

flip-flop

I do not consent to a search...
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
You realize this thread is three years old right? I doubt any of the OPs are still hanging around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3? The OP hasn’t been back since 2008! Lol!!!
I hate it when there is no resolution!

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
After reading post #18 I'm thinking he probably turned the kill switch off and didn't know it :rofl1:
Maybe he felt stupid and didn't want to post again :rolleyes:

flip-flop

I do not consent to a search...
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
After reading post #18 I'm thinking he probably turned the kill switch off and didn't know it :rofl1:
that's what I thought too... I think I'm going to start making up outlandish failure resolutions whenever someone fails to return.... could be fun!

Bike
2014 ST1300a
"picked up a pack of water and put it in my top trunk"
trunk? does he mean the radiator??

"When I opened the trunk the water had burst and the trunk was leaking water."
I think he put wrong water into the radiator, should input antifreeze, normal water boiling 100 degree, antifreeze boiling 130-150 degree.

the water in radiator boiling, and lot of air in radiator, the water can not cycle, so some place would over heat, the engine would not start.

I think he may need to rebuild his engine.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Igofar said:
Maybe he felt stupid and didn't want to post again
I tip toe away from the keyboard and wait a week or two and hope nobody remembers. Or notices the big yellow streamer on the right grip that says 'Click to start engine'.

Top Bottom