Battery and Trickle charger

RCS

I'm taking delivery of a "new" 2004 ST1300 with 1,400 original miles on Saturday. I have the service manual and have been reading about battery life (2-3 years) and trickle chargers. First, should I replace the battery right away and do I need a trickle charger?, and second, should I have the Dealer do it for me instead when he changes all the fluids?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Probably a good idea to start off with a new battery.. 1,400 miles is nothing so if it's the original battery it's probably just a matter of time before it's toast.

If the dealer is changing all the fluids anyway, might as well throw a new battery in there too but I'm cheap, I'd buy one myself just to save some $$.

A battery on a daily ridden bike can go 5+ years... a battery on a bike rarely ridden can crap out within a year.

Bike
ST 1300
I'm taking delivery of a "new" 2004 ST1300 with 1,400 original miles on Saturday. I have the service manual and have been reading about battery life (2-3 years) and trickle chargers. First, should I replace the battery right away and do I need a trickle charger?, and second, should I have the Dealer do it for me instead when he changes all the fluids?
Keep me advised Bob...another quick point..always carry a spare key either on the bike or your person. If you ever have to jump the battery you will need two keys to get it done properly. One key for the tupperware and the other for the igintion. Don't ask me how I know. Missed LIVE AT FIVE last night..my son said it was great.

PS that battery seemed fine and started it right up. You may want to check the date on it, it may have been replaced.

:):)

Last edited:
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Keep me advised Bob...another quick point..always carry a spare key either on the bike or your person. If you ever have to jump the battery you will need two keys to get it done properly. One key for the tupperware and the other for the igintion. Don't ask me how I know. Missed LIVE AT FIVE last night..my son said it was great.

PS that battery seemed fine and started it right up. You may want to check the date on it, it may have been replaced.

:):)
First time I heard you needed two keys to jump an ST threw me for a loop until I took the seat off, then it all became clear. If you carry tools, including a set of allen wrenches, it alleviates the need for two keys.

Bike
ST 1300
First time I heard you needed two keys to jump an ST threw me for a loop until I took the seat off, then it all became clear. If you carry tools, including a set of allen wrenches, it alleviates the need for two keys.
Not really.. because you still have to lock the seats down while keeping the motor running...I think??

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I would replace the battery on your own and save some money. The money saved will likely cover the trickle charger. As mentioned if you ride the bike there isn't any need for the charger until you put it away for the winter. Then you would want some battery tender of some sort.

Batteries will normally last btw 2 - 4 years, especially if it's the new generation gel-type maintenance-free batteries. When a battery is nearing the end of its usefulness, one would normally get symptons, the most obvious is during starting when the engine comes to life either almost immediately (an indication that the battery is still ok) or the engine cranks over quite slowly before it comes to life (battery almost discharged or dead). Another way to test the battery strength is to just honk the horn without starting up the engine. Loud honk means battery is still ok. Why replace something that doesn't need replacing?

As for battery tenders, if you plan to leave bike idle for more than a month & beyond, then you'll need one. Otherwise, save the money for something else....

okmurdog

Will Ride for Pie
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
The battery in my '07 was replaced three months ago under warranty - it was 10 months into the 1 year warranty period. The battery gave up the ghost in period of two days...one day the bike started great, the next day it was VERY slow turning over, and the next it turned over once and quit. I placed the battery on a low current charger overnite after the first "slow start", but it didn't help. When the battery died, I jumped it from a car battery and rode it to the dealer whereby it was promptly replaced.

FYI - don't jump start from a running vehicle, since the charging current from an automobile alternator can overwhelm the battery in the ST.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Not really.. because you still have to lock the seats down while keeping the motor running...I think??
You're right, I was thinking you could just take the side cover off, but you still have the saddlebag to deal with.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
A word on battery chargers. You don't really want a trickle charger, you want a "float" charger, like a Battery Tender. A float charger reduces voltage as well as current as a battery reaches full charge. A trickle charger continues to put out full voltage forever, and can toast a battery over time.

Change the battery. They don't like sitting for too long, and at least you know your new bike will have a better than even chance of starting first time, every time.

Top Bottom