Custom Made Pull Behind Trailer

Bike
06 ST1300
im right there with you guys I am working on a fiberglass one right now to, I have the mold made and the top made, I need to figure out where to get a 27-38 inch axles kit though anybody know that part or where did you guys get you undercarage from that is what i need to finish mine. I will defently post pics later on and good luck on your builds

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
I guess if you guys think the ST1300 is too wimpy, I could set it up to pull with my Victory...that thing is a brute....all kinds of low end torque and big Brembo brakes up front...I think it will pull stumps if it can get traction!!

I gotta believe the ST is up to the task and not get too worse for wear in the process. I really don't think 400 lbs rolling weight is a big load for one up behind a V4...my concern is braking, more than pulling.

OP
OP
Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
It was my misfortune to get stuck in a traffic consolidation in Baltimore today. With our new governor we don't have traffic jams anymore...they are just periods where we all come together for the good of the few!!

Anyway, several cars ahead was a red Wing (NJ Plates) pulling a huge trailer with stuff straped all over it. I managed to squeeze between some of the consolidated cars and pull up next to him. After some complaining about the traffic situation, I asked him how much his trailer weighed and said he didn't know, but probably around 800 pounds and it really killed his gas mileage. He said once he got moving on the highway, the trailer was not a problem, but it was no fun in town. We parted ways with a low wave and a nod, as he went winging North and I to a meeting...I hate Baltimore!!

OP
OP
Would adding electric trailer brakes be an option. I'm not building a trailer but just for curiosity.....:biker:
I'm sure you could, but it only adds more weight to the trailer. Also, you would not be able to run 8" wheels, so there would be the added weight for larger wheels, tires and hub.

Again, it all depends on what you goal is. There are many heavy trailers out there. The options for heavy trailers are vast. However, it is slim pickings to find a lightweight trailer that is multifuntional. I have found that it means making my own trailer to get one the way I want.

Texas

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
David, Very nice set up and thanks for giving us a look!!

It appears that the tongue is the HF length. Have you had any issues with that length? I've seen where some folks believe that a 20" extension makes the trailer pull a lot better. With a lot of miles under your belt pulling the trailer, I value you opinion. How much weight do you usually pull?

Also, does your hitch attach at the muffler bolt point or elsewhere...if so, where?

Thanks,

Joe

David, Very nice set up and thanks for giving us a look!!

It appears that the tongue is the HF length. Have you had any issues with that length? I've seen where some folks believe that a 20" extension makes the trailer pull a lot better. With a lot of miles under your belt pulling the trailer, I value you opinion. How much weight do you usually pull?

Also, does your hitch attach at the muffler bolt point or elsewhere...if so, where?

Thanks,

Joe
Thanks Joe,
I could not be happier with the way it pulls. If I did it all over again, I would build the same way. Although the width is some what narrower than most, it has not given me any problems. I keep my air pressure at 20lbs. This keeps the trailer from having to much bounce in it. I have checked tires and hubs after pulling for 250 miles plus at interstate speeds exeding 80mph and both would be cool to the touch. The key, I believe is to pack modestly and correctly so that it is not weighted down and the load is somewhat over and in front of the trailer tires. I have a fish scale to check the weight, usually about 20 to 25lbs at the tongue. As far as the width, I might would have made it about 3" wider. This just gives it a better stance in sharper turns, but if your not trying to drag a knee (which I don't when pulling trailer) it will follow you just fine. The main things for me is to remember your pulling a trailer; don't ride in the sport bike mode when doing so; pack it correctly. Following these rules have always made a safe ride for me. Hope this helps you. We have lots of other discussions on this issue through out the trailer thread. If I can help, please let me know. Your question about total weight. I have not weighed this trailer nor my loads, but if I were to guess the trailer is about 130 lbs. and the load about 50 to 80 lbs. Here is a thread showing pics of 10 day trip out west with what I had packed in and on the bike. I also have a small 12 pack cooler mounted at the front of the trailer. https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showpost.php?p=456539&postcount=14

Thanks,
David

Last edited:
Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
Thanks David for all the info and pictures!!

Looks like you were not overloaded and probably had room left over too. It's great to know the trailer is stable at pretty high speeds and that it didn't kill you gas mileage that bad. I'm going to jump on mine in the next week or so and I hope it turns out a nice as yours!!

Thanks again,

Joe

OP
OP
In my quest to decrease rolling resistance as much as possible, I have changed the direction I was going to go with axle/hubs/wheels.

Because the torsion axle was not going to absorb any shock below 500 lbs, I have decided to not use any suspension what-so-ever. I think that most people will find that even when removing a leaf out of their leaf suspension system, they still are not getting any benefit, unless they are running with a heavy load.

Again, my loads will be light. I will not run with more than 200 lbs, so to decrease trailer weight and rolling resistance, I have decided to use 20"x2.125" Wheels that can each handle a load of 180 lbs. This will give me a total of 360 lbs, and the trailer should not weigh at 60 lbs or less dry by the time I am finished.

I will keep everyone updated.

Texas

STOC #
I live about 20 miles from Worthington Trailers near Muncy, PA. They specialize in aluminum trailers. I may stop by to ask them if they are interested in designing a light weight trailer for motorcycle use. They have to keep the price under (fill in the blank.)
Want two styles? One enclosed and one open stake?

OP
OP
I live about 20 miles from Worthington Trailers near Muncy, PA. They specialize in aluminum trailers. I may stop by to ask them if they are interested in designing a light weight trailer for motorcycle use. They have to keep the price under (fill in the blank.)
I really feel there is a market for such a trailer out there. Myself, I would not even consider one that wasn't super light. Because of the effect these trailers have on gas mileage, keeping it low, with little rolling resistance is important to me as well.

Texas

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
I bet there is a market too, but you gotta wonder how many others would jump in too.

Materials $400
Labor $200
Profit and overhead $200

Retail $895 on sale for $850 most of the time!!

That could work!! Damn...I'll sell em for that..I think!!

OP
OP
This weekend I cut the tubes for the frame. As you will see in the picture attached, this is the basic layout of the frame (not welded yet). You will also see the 20" wheels that I plan on using.

Texas

Attachments

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
I'm getting ready to start my trailer hitch and I am wondering what the conventional wisdom is regarding the height above or below the bike axle centerline. It appears that most commercial hitches are above the axle centerline by a couple inches which is contrary to tractor logic where the draw point is always below the rear axle centerline to place pull/pressure on the front wheels.

Given the low weights involved with bike trailers, it may not make any differance one way or the other....just wondering what you folks think?

BTW, the trailer axle centerline is about 9.5 inches using a 12" wheel. I'm thinking the hitch draw point should be a little above that point which puts it above the bike axle centerline. Maybe that is the answer to my question.

A penny for your thoughts!!

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
You guys are way too funny... there's a great trailer out there for the ST and heres the
web site... http://piggybacker.stehltow.com/
For about $700 its a cool trailer that holds alot of that camping gear that usally sits on the S.O. seat!
Ride hard yet safe.
JB
Where's the fun in that ?

Part of the deal is in the making. Some people don't want to build and that's cool. But, this group of wing nuts seem to like to make it themselves.

Top Bottom