Lowe's Flexi-Tile garage floor tiles ??

Bike
2010 ST1300
If you get moisture wicking up through your floor, epoxy will lift off in time. We poured a new floor, etched it per instructions and used a two part epoxy paint. Yes, it looked great but after some years (5+) it started lifting off in certain places. We did this more than 20 years ago and the floor does not look awful - but it is not lovely any more. New products might be better.

I would think tile properly installed with full thinset* coverage would last longer. Do not, however, drop a hammer or other metal tool on tile - you can crack or chip one. If you have any cracks in the concrete floor, you will need, at minimum, an isolation barrier. If there is any movement in the floor, tile is out.

*Full coverage is attained by using the proper notched trowel and firmly pressing each tile in place. The ridges of thinset mortar flatten out giving the tile full support.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I'm a bit more experienced than a DIYer, this is doable, I have some regrets... There is radiant heat in there which means movement. All concrete will move, this moves more. I talked to my tile supplier and told him what I was doing, parking a car, turning the wheel, grinding gravel under the turning wheel. A suitable tile with a high hardness rating was chosen. It has taken some tool drops without incident. I have interlocking mats in some areas. I don't put metal kickstands down on it directly, nor the center stand. (I put the kickstand down on the expansion joint, center stand on thin aluminum)

Schluter makes some great products for this application. The silver and gray piece you see is an expansion joint, two "Ls" with rubber between, they are installed over the relief cuts in the concrete. Each of these areas can move independently from the other. Good thin set "LFT" for large format tile was used, some places I needed to use 1/2 notch trowel on both surfaces. Self leveler was not an option as the floor is sloped. The edge is always a problem, Schluter again.

Not an inexpensive solution, but looks great and that's what my wife is all about. Labor would be the most expense part, mine was free.

1709629034265.png

1709629185914.png

59917217450__D67D76D4-0D2E-40EA-B1D2-C3DE208284C4.JPG
59984477185__6BAE9C32-7BFA-4C00-BB84-C7E4A9375023.JPG
IMG_0959.jpeg

Those tiles look fantastic! Great job on the flooring. I'm planning to redo my garage floor in the next two to three months, so I've already started looking into floor tiles near me. My top priorities are finding tiles that are non-slip and highly durable. After all, I want my garage floor to not only look good but also provide safety and longevity. It's exciting to embark on this project, and I'm looking forward to finding the perfect tiles for my garage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom