MCL, Rackman what's the difference?

Bike
2012 Road Glide Ultr
STOC #
I've been looking at different options for highway pegs.
Found MCL's wings, then Rackman's pegs, they look the same. What's the difference besides $15.00??
Tried to contact Robert Kienlen STOC# 2075, Email got returned.
I'd like to know about the STeed STick option; where to buy, install and how much$$
Read through many posts and can't find all the info.
Help!!
Thanks,
JD

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I believe the big difference is that one is available and the other is hard to get...

I have the MCLs and they are great! :D

Bike
still deciding
STOC #
I'm not sure, but I believe Mike stopped making the Rackman wings after MCL began duplicating his idea. So unless you can find some used your only choice is MCL for wings that fold into the tip over cover.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
Mike Roberts created the design, but they are available in only extremely limited quantities. Basically a one man operation, and in his spare time at that, I think. (Note that Mike doesn't actually make them any more, but they're still made one at a time by a friend of his.)

Larry copied the design, but makes them in much larger volumes, so they're easier to get, by far.

I think the Rackman versions have slightly higher quality appearance and finish, but there's not really that much to choose from. I choose to give me business to Mike for having the idea, but to each his own.

I'm not sure, but I believe Mike stopped making the Rackman wings after MCL began duplicating his idea. So unless you can find some used your only choice is MCL for wings that fold into the tip over cover.

Not so. Mike stopped making them for health reasons, but a friend is still making them. He puts them up on ebay from time to time. I've got his email around here somewhere.... Here it is:

ddwhisler@verizon.net

You can contact him for availabililty.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Grizzley
Bike
2012 Road Glide Ultr
STOC #
Uh oh.....:eek::trolls

OK, if it's a legit question, then use the search function and you will find your answer.
Dude! Yeah, it is.
That's why I got confused in the first place...
There is alot of great advice and ideas on this site, but when I do a search, being that there is not or I can't find the function that would search for "only" what I am looking for, I end up reading tons of threads and gotta tell you, reading ain't my favorite thing....
I see $265 and read good things about dealing with Larry and I read bad experiences about dealing with Larry.
Other types of pegs bring up the experiences about scraping pegs and if this or that type would scrape and cause a crash...
Well, I do scrape my pegs now and then and I sure as **** don't want to eat pavement because of farkle; don't jump just yet, I'm not thinking about using any kind of highway pegs in twisties or riding aggressively while having them extended, but if they get in the way when folded, it ain't for me.

I found 4 different types that are available for sale and these are just but two of'em.

JD

OP
OP
Grizzley
Bike
2012 Road Glide Ultr
STOC #
Mike Roberts created the design, but they are available in only extremely limited quantities. Basically a one man operation, and in his spare time at that, I think. (Note that Mike doesn't actually make them any more, but they're still made one at a time by a friend of his.)

Larry copied the design, but makes them in much larger volumes, so they're easier to get, by far.

I think the Rackman versions have slightly higher quality appearance and finish, but there's not really that much to choose from. I choose to give me business to Mike for having the idea, but to each his own.

Not so. Mike stopped making them for health reasons, but a friend is still making them. He puts them up on ebay from time to time. I've got his email around here somewhere.... Here it is:

ddwhisler@verizon.net

You can contact him for availabililty.
Found these on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130243782975&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=003
JD

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
GRIZZLEY - I have the Rackman highway wings on all 3 of my ST1100s and the way they are designed, they should not be a problem if you scrape pegs. They fold easily back into the tipover wings (therefore they don't stick noticeably at all when not in use) and do not lock in the 'out' position. I do not have a set of the MCL wings, but I believe the function is about the same. IIRC, The 'Steed STicks' I believe attach underneath the tip over wings so clearance might be an issue- but someone with a set would be in a better position to answer that question than me. Hope that gives you some ideas.

Hey Griz,
I bought Robert Kienlen's pegs last season and they are great.
I find that I can't use them for longer than 10-15 minutes at a time but that small duration really gives your body a different position and helps tremendously when touring.
Good Luck

On the Turbo Toms setup, when they fold up are they underneath the tip over guard??? From the pics it's a bit hard to tell... I just wondered how noticeable they were... I do like the mcl items for that reason, they're a bit hidden when they're folded in...
Thanks, Kevin

Top Bottom