VA-Northern: Tag

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
I went for the jet, a long-since retired F86 Sabre on permanent static display (in need of more than a little TLC, sadly) at the Front Royal-Warren County Airport:

The new tag is this delightful bakery. There are at least two of these: one is in Warrenton, and this one which is not in Warrenton.

It was a rather more introspective and contemplative ride than I had anticipated; as I was gearing up to head out I got word that my 92 year old father would be riding along with me in spirit, while he watched from the heavens. I could not think of anything more fitting than to go on a ride- he put that fire in me 45 years ago and always enjoyed talking bikes and riding, even though it had been nearly 40 years since he'd last thrown a leg over on his own. RIP, Dad. We love you, and miss you.
I love your license plate. . Guess I never noticed it before. How fitting. . .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
This was a great tag! Still haven't gone inside, but it's on the list to check out.

Much easier to get to than the one in Warrenton.

New tag- sorry, we spent so much time out riding around that I had to pick something close to home. The tag is the gazebo. The 24 hours earlier before this photo this area was mobbed as Santa arrived by train and held court in this gazebo. (You don't have to get the tag after dark, but the city is pretty all lit up!)

Happy Holiday Riding!

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
This was a great tag! Still haven't gone inside, but it's on the list to check out.

New tag- sorry, we spent so much time out riding around that I had to pick something close to home. The tag is the gazebo. The 24 hours earlier before this photo this area was mobbed as Santa arrived by train and held court in this gazebo. (You don't have to get the tag after dark, but the city is pretty all lit up!)

Happy Holiday Riding!
Do you know when they open up the ice rink? Our family did the train ride with Santa a few years ago. . . A long time ago, like 4 kids ago. . Lol. Child # 1 and #2. . Now 11 and 9. .

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Pretty much I figured this was going to be your tag to pick up :)
It sure won't be me. That area and east is a complete no-go zone for me, with all the sprawl.

I went inside the bakery when I was there but ended up next door at the grocery store / cafe, in what used to be the bank. I hope they both succeed.

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
It sure won't be me. That area and east is a complete no-go zone for me, with all the sprawl.

I went inside the bakery when I was there but ended up next door at the grocery store / cafe, in what used to be the bank. I hope they both succeed.
Boo, they sprayed the roads with saline solution today. I'm bad at washing my ST under normal circumstances, so I don't ride when the roads are salted. We'll see how long it takes to get washed away. . .

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
We got out in the "snow" on Saturday without any drama. Just wet and cold. I didn't try my luck out on the back roads or chance any overpasses. It was more of a bragging rights/rare opportunity/ "It's my birthday and I'll ride if I want to" kind of ride. And I just finished washing both bikes now that its a balmy 40 degrees in the sun.

https://youtu.be/UHK4r_4jZL8

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
We got out in the "snow" on Saturday without any drama. Just wet and cold. I didn't try my luck out on the back roads or chance any overpasses. It was more of a bragging rights/rare opportunity/ "It's my birthday and I'll ride if I want to" kind of ride. And I just finished washing both bikes now that its a balmy 40 degrees in the sun.

https://youtu.be/UHK4r_4jZL8
We saw that Santa trailer on Aden road last night. . . .it was empty though. Turning onto Misty Creek. . . .glad you got to ride on your birthday!!

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #

Happy Holiday Riding!
I sacrificed and got the ST all salty today. .

Old tag: gazebo at Manassas train station

New tag: guard towers at a local prison that has converted to an art museum. . . If you need a hint, the wild card tag is also at this old prison;)

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
This tag at the former Lorton Reformatory and now Workhouse Arts Center has sat too long over the winter so it had to be moved. It's a great arts center and we recently went to a comedy club show at a very reasonable price. I didn't realize until I got there that the annual Prison Break Dash Run was scheduled for today!

Not just 1 run, but 3 runs! A 1K, 5K and 10K were going on and the parking lot was the finish line. It made getting an unobstructed view of the former prison towers tough but I navigated into a narrow vantage point near the finish line. (A better view was had uphill but it was next to the porta-potties!)

I happily escaped without running over anybody in the parking lot (seriously- does everybody have to walk in the middle of the road?) I found a fun tag to transition to with a somewhat similar theme out away from the congestion. If you want to tour the museum hours are Sat+Sun 12-4 only or try calling ahead for a tour by appointment! Just make sure you bring your papers, please!

You may not want to use this reference for your GPS.

There's several little rendezvous eating spots nearby-but their hours are classified!

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
Old: Cold War Museum

New: barn and silo

This is on one of my favorite farm roads I ride(Recktortown Road) between Delaplane Grade and the Post Office. . Took this picture while on the Officer Down Memorial Ride today. . Perfect day. .some extra pics of the beautiful scenery:)

Last edited:

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Hueyf4i sent me to bucolic Rectortown VA:

20180512_160728w.jpg

And here's the best part of that:

20180512_160757w.jpg

Now, say it in Unison with me: "VA 630 north of Foxcroft Road is NOT ST-friendly." It has large, loose gravel instead of tarmac. I recommend that you come from and depart to the east or south unless you're dual-sporting.

20180512_163548w.jpg

And the fine print, if you need it, about one of the lesser-known "battles" of the Civil War:

20180512_163512w.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
Hueyf4i sent me to bucolic Rectortown VA:

And here's the best part of that:

Now, say it in Unison with me: "VA 630 north of Faxhall Road is NOT ST-friendly." It has large, loose gravel instead of tarmac. I recommend that you come from and depart to the east or south unless you're dual-sporting.

And the fine print, if you need it, about one of the lesser-known "battles" of the Civil War:

The ST isn't a dual sport mc? [emoji16]

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
I rode my ST on Woodstock tower road up to the tower just to be curious. . . My ST did better than I thought it would. Needed a bath badly afterwards though. . . .its about 90% gravel. . . That's why I gave the option of Woodstock Tower or Front Royal Airport for that tag a while back:)

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I rode my ST on Woodstock tower road up to the tower just to be curious. . . My ST did better than I thought it would. Needed a bath badly afterwards though. . . .its about 90% gravel. . . That's why I gave the option of Woodstock Tower or Front Royal Airport for that tag a while back :)
And that's why I chose the F-86. :)

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
Old: Unison

New: Skyline Drive Crossing at 211. I'm forcing someone to have a good time by tagging this. . . [emoji16]

Last edited:
Top Bottom