VA-Northern: Tag

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Re: VA-Norhtern: TAG

I find this a bummer and request to disallow tags from being moved outside the area. I just got my ST this summer (from Roanoke) and we've been busy riding all around with a schedule already planned out for the year. So I've wanted to get into this game and create some new interest. I find we've got a great area for landmarks (skipping the heavily congested DC region) and I'm ready to play and share my special places.

I also think the bounderies are a bit strange, but them's the rules that have been set up and I'm willing to play within the box. Sorry Karen, that's a beautiful area down there and a great tag location but you've stolen the ball from another field. I've been trying to get out to this one to move it but I've had to work, (I continue whining, etc). With the really cold weather season about to hit in a couple of weeks it really freezes the tag for overwinter for most anybody from this area to go down and reclaim it.

-Steve

Last edited:

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #

If you want to ride out and visit Bob's tag again and move it someplace in-bounds, I say go for it, or we can start fresh in the spring.

I take full credit or blame for the current boundaries. The rationale behind them was that we had a statewide tag that sat in the western part of the state for a very long time and that this layout might do more to encourage riders from adjacent states to cross the border and participate. If you have ideas for a better arrangement, resurrect the thread where we discussed this. It's not like there are prizes involved, so the boundaries don't have to be set in stone.

--Mark

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #

Thanks Mark, I may end up doing that on Thanksgiving since the wife has to work :D Why start fresh in the spring while we can still ride usually until the middle of January? As far as the bounderies go- I realized after I posted that I'm still the newbie here; haven't even played or met any of my neighbors yet. Excuse my comment on the bounderies being "strange". I'll wait until I know you better and have justification to slur you.

Karen- I briefly daydreamed about a screaming raid into enemy territory to rescue the NOVA tag. But mindlessly running down and back up 81 isn't appealing now that most of the trees are bare and I have my own yard to rake!

Happy Thanksgiving and hope you have an excuse to ride.
-Steve

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #

Your tags have sat for months and months on end. The whole point of this foolish game is to go ride.

Not only had this tag sat for months, but it was last moved by its OWN poster. A pair of riders each rode over 450 miles in each direction to move your tags, one of which did so on a sport bike with no faring, and you are whining that we moved it too far away?!?!

I am at a total loss for words.

Yes you did and in great style , but it might have helped had you read the actual thread and moved it accordingly , thanks fior the help ,now go put it back !

Bike
FJR & FZ1 & DRZ

WOW, what a bunch of whiners. Touring bikes that WON'T tour. Just WOW.

Gene

STOC #

So does all the shouting mean your not going to be polite and return it to it's proper location ?

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #

What a great day for a ride and my chance to finally become a player:)

71 degrees at 1:30 at the old tag location. FYI: Fort Valley is clean and free of the evil "traction" pea gravel they've salted the road with before. It's a great ride and the weather looks just as good for this weekend

I almost ran out of daylight for my new tag location. Originally I was heading to the eastern border but got caught in traffic crossing Fredericksburg. So I opted for one of our RTE locations at Fairview Beach right at sunset.

I didn't see anything in the rules about time of day- but I assumed daytime photos would be preferred to show enough detail. In this case either that boat ramp or the establishment would be fine as long as some of the river is also in sight.

265 mile RT, new tag 100 miles from the old (at least as I wandered) No Interstate between tags.

-Steve

Last edited:

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #

In the interest of not being called a whiner:

110758-000.jpg
144243-000.jpg

(Note: If you go after this one, my front wheel was a foot or two from some pretty deep gravel, and there's some broken glass scattered near where my back wheel was. Be careful.)

--Mark

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
It seemed like enough time had passed to give anyone else a chance at moving this tag. I'd already been in the gravel in this lot and decided to make it a quick drive-by photo.

So here's the new tag- a famous Orange landmark. One giant object deserved to be followed by another. And seasonal at that!

Fair warning: This parking lot is now marked with several no trespassing/no parking signs. And the Police Dept is just across the street :D
You can take a legal photo of this location from one of two parking lots a few yards away.

Originally I has intended this to be our Xmas card but I had forgotten the angle and parking lot slope (not to mention late afternoon sun) was unfavorable :(

Happy Holiday Tagging!
Steve & Carol

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
BUMP!

Okay, winter is over, Daylight Savings Time is in effect, your team isn't going far in March Madness. So get out there and ride and play along!

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Oh jolly day, 220 miles and I didn't get sniped!

DSC_6789.jpgDSC_6797.jpg

Free bonus, since I was fiddling with the pictures I took:
DSC_6801.jpg

Have at it, campers!

--Mark

Gene

STOC #
I remember that place from when I was a young kid , kinda scary way back then !!

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
What's amazing is that they're still in great condition compare to the rest of the place.
Thanks for jumping back in Mark, I was hoping to get some tags in this year. I know you've been the lone torchbearer for awhile now.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #

Well this seemed like a fun place to go for Fathers Day, too bad it was already closed!

Apparently loud pipes don't save from dinosaurs!

Okay, I didn't go far away. But since school is now out here's an excuse to hit the swimming hole at this river crossing!

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
You may have to carry the torch for awhile. After a very promising spring, my health problem has reared its ugly head again, and I don't forsee much saddle time this season. Again.

--Mark

Top Bottom