VA-Northern: Tag

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Definitely sorry to hear about your setback. I'll see if I can't offer some entertainment up here for you. Maybe set some pies out to lure others in.:)

Bike
2003 ST-1300
STOC #
OK how about an idea where this bridge is. I am not from your area, but I will be riding through there over the weekend. I would be happy to move the tag if I had an idea where it is. It is not easy for non-locals to play if the tag can't be googled. Just a little help needed

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Phil,
Sorry for the late reply. This is near Front Royal at the (locally) famous low water crossing of the Shenandoah River called Morgan Ford.

The scenic routes: Red Gate, Happy Creek or Dismal Hollow depending on your mood :)

Since nobody else (locally) is playing, there's no harm in spelling out that the location isn't far from 66 and 81.

Bike
2003 ST-1300
STOC #
TAG

Wish I could have been a little more imaginative, but we are from Massachusetts and just passing through. Good luck.

Now go find.

Not sure anyone needs a hint, but this tag has been sitting for a while.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Yay Phil! I'll take your willingness to ride to move an out of state tag over imagination any day.

Hints: To get this tag you'll need a national park pass ($10 if you don't have one) or wait until September 29th for the next free entrance day. Plan to have lunch 10 miles further south afterwards.

Bike
2003 ST-1300
STOC #
Yay Phil! I'll take your willingness to ride to move an out of state tag over imagination any day.

Hints: To get this tag you'll need a national park pass ($10 if you don't have one) or wait until September 29th for the next free entrance day. Plan to have lunch 10 miles further south afterwards.

Thanks for letting me know the location of the bridge. I was glad that I could keep the game going for you. The roads getting to and from the bridge were great. We went directly to the Skyline, so I didn't have many options for a new tag. I was just hoping to get something to use before I got too far South. By the way have you seen the Google earth picture of the bridge under water?

Bike
2003 ST-1300
STOC #
Not sure anyone needs a hint, but this tag has been sitting for a while. I also edited my tag post with this added picture. Being from out of town I didn't want to see this tag sit because it could not be found. I have taken Skyline Drive off of my bucket list of roads to ride. Great road.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Okay, I finally made it up to Skyline Drive during the last fee free entrance day of 2012. Just south of Thornton Gap is Mary's Rock Tunnel, a 610 ft long engineering marvel when it was blasted and built in 1932. Monday may have been the last good day for riding up on Skyline Drive as the cold wet weather is moving in. I was surprised to find snow above 2800 ft, mostly on the shaded hillsides but piled up in the parking lots, gutters and overlooks.

Blustery heavy clouds kept running into the ridge alternating between foggy, raining, misting, blowing and a couple of times sunny :) I did enjoy lunch at Skyland before turning around and riding to the entrance of Skyline Drive at Front royal. Here's the parking lot at Skyland.

I moved the tag to an area that should be accessible and free to all. Just off RT 211 near Warrenton. The road is handily called "Old Bridge".

I always thought it was pretty neat that this sign is located at one end of the bridge. I can imagine a troop of calvary securely staging from this hidden little pocket!

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2003 ST-1300
STOC #
It is great that the tag finally got moved. When I moved it this Summer, I was only passing through your state on my trip to Ohio, and my Tag opportunities were limited. It was late in the day and we got on Skyline Drive at the beginning and rode it to the end. I wasn't thinking about the toll at the time (oops). I am glad you got to get the tag for free. :)

By the way you have some great roads to ride in your state.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Q: What happens when the tag is left to sit for two years?

A: VDOT closes the bridge you're supposed to photograph. Good thing it's still visible from the road.

124640-000.jpg

Just to get things going again, here's an easy one with some nerd appeal:

170119-000.jpg

If you don't want to stop on 28 (and I wouldn't blame you), any of the Orbital Sciences buildings on Warp Drive is an acceptable substitute.

--Mark

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Wow, it really had been nearly two years. Thanks for getting back into the game Mark! It a real shame about the Waterloo bridge and I'm hoping they'll keep it open for foot traffic. I won $100 prize for a photo I took while riding over that bridge in last years motorcycle grand tour of VA.

I'll give your tag a chance to get picked up by somebody else but will probably move it within two weeks to a great summertime tag location.

Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Well hello there!

Have to admit I did have a little of a Nerd moment when I got it...

20140816_183729.jpg

But none the less... here is the new tag:

20140817_130539.jpg

Enjoy the ride!

Bike
ST1300A 2009
STOC #
OLD .. Fairview Beach, King George County VA .. on the Potomac River

ST1300 Fairview Beach ST Owners.jpg

NEW (You have a choice .. two locations, same park.)

ST1300 Spotsylvania Batlefield ST Owners.jpg

ST1300 Exhibit Shelter ST-Owners.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300A 2009
STOC #
OLD: At the Major General John Sedgwick Monument, Spotsylvania Battlefield, Virginia. One of the Union's most effective and beloved commanders, Gen. Sedgwick led soldiers at Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville and Gettysburg. His death at Spotsylvania Courthouse in May 1864 was met with universal sorrow; even General Robert E. Lee expressed sadness at the loss of his old friend.

20150902_193311_resized.jpg

New: 70 miles to the northwest.

Randolph Macon Academy.jpg

Top Bottom