changing headlight bulbs

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
There is the hard way and then there is my way to replace headlamp bulbs on the ST1300.

See the posting.
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44761
I wonder... here in the States I noticed the 2003 models have a plastic deflector on the forks that the 04-08 models do not have. If you take this off it makes getting to the bulb area from underneath much much simpler.

Does your model have this deflector?
Item 18 in this diagram:
http://www.xtremeusa.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=159485&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=2003&fveh=3693

Shadowfax-ST

As ridden by Pat
Bike
White 08 ST1300
Question on positioning lights
Slightly off topic but how do you access the positioning lights? I have replacements but can't for the life of me work out how you're meant to change them without removing the whole upper cowl and screen assemblies?

I used this thread myself when installing my HID - I'd already broken a piece of plastic off and had to use a misemployed screw in the end. I didn't break anything else thanks to the great leads in this thread (the 5lb lump hammer was the next tool of choice...:banghead:). Thanks, all.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Question on positioning lights
Slightly off topic but how do you access the positioning lights? I have replacements but can't for the life of me work out how you're meant to change them without removing the whole upper cowl and screen assemblies?

I used this thread myself when installing my HID - I'd already broken a piece of plastic off and had to use a misemployed screw in the end. I didn't break anything else thanks to the great leads in this thread (the 5lb lump hammer was the next tool of choice...:banghead:). Thanks, all.
When I had my '03 I was able to get to the position lights but they are not held on very well, if you aren't careful, the bulb can fall into the headlight.

On my '08 it appears to be even harder to change... I say leave them alone 'til they go out otherwise, wait 'til you do a valve check or some other maint where you need both side fairings off. Then, you can get to them easier.

Shadowfax-ST

As ridden by Pat
Bike
White 08 ST1300
When I had my '03 I was able to get to the position lights but they are not held on very well, if you aren't careful, the bulb can fall into the headlight.

On my '08 it appears to be even harder to change... I say leave them alone 'til they go out otherwise, wait 'til you do a valve check or some other maint where you need both side fairings off. Then, you can get to them easier.
Thanks again.

(Honda must've been taken over by Citroen's designers to have such "creative" solutions to routine rider maintenance!)

I wonder... here in the States I noticed the 2003 models have a plastic deflector on the forks that the 04-08 models do not have. If you take this off it makes getting to the bulb area from underneath much much simpler.

Does your model have this deflector?
Item 18 in this diagram:
http://www.xtremeusa.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=159485&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=2003&fveh=3693
For me, that brings up the wrong diagram. But I have the deflectors you mention on my '04. Perhaps they were added with the superbrace thing?

Tanx to the sage advice here I got the connector off easily enough. But I can't get the bulb retainer spring off.

Bike
ST1100
Thank you John A your thread was timely, I was just pulling my hair out , trying to remove bulb from headlight on ST 1100 headlight still insitu.
That dam bail clip was stubbon, your How to projects guide was extream..

Thanks Danny
Happy Easter:aussie1:

Shadowfax-ST

As ridden by Pat
Bike
White 08 ST1300
When I had my '03 I was able to get to the position lights but they are not held on very well, if you aren't careful, the bulb can fall into the headlight...
:censored !&$??@! :censored

Why didn't I listen to you, Joe?

I took the fairings off (to do that Spring cleaning I've mused over) and found the attractive rubber positioning light fitting just lurking within reach; tempting me just to, "have a look"; maybe a "go"?

I pulled - but the rubber just stretched. Nothing more. So I dug a spade screwdriver in there and managed to loosen the critter out some. Then I pulled and twisted gently to let the rubber flow free.

Plop! Plink! The LHS positioning lamp is in the headlamp unit and tomorrow I move on to stage 3 of cowl removal - the upper cowl and headlight unit.

"Son. If you learn through your mistakes you'll get a fantastic education".
My Dad.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Thank you John A your thread was timely, I was just pulling my hair out , trying to remove bulb from headlight on ST 1100 headlight still insitu.
That dam bail clip was stubbon, your How to projects guide was extream..

Thanks Danny
Happy Easter:aussie1:
Hey, Danny!

Glad it helped. I know the first time I replaced mine I was sure glad my daughters weren't around. Got pretty salty in the 'ol shop area!

John

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
:censored !&?@! :censored

Why didn't I listen to you, Joe?

I took the fairings off (to do that Spring cleaning I've mused over) and found the attractive rubber positioning light fitting just lurking within reach; tempting me just to, "have a look"; maybe a "go"?

I pulled - but the rubber just stretched. Nothing more. So I dug a spade screwdriver in there and managed to loosen the critter out some. Then I pulled and twisted gently to let the rubber flow free.

Plop! Plink! The LHS positioning lamp is in the headlamp unit and tomorrow I move on to stage 3 of cowl removal - the upper cowl and headlight unit.

"Son. If you learn through your mistakes you'll get a fantastic education".
My Dad.

Pat.. you don't know how many times I looked at it wanting to do the same thing... I think some have had luck using those long arm grabber things to pic the bulb out...

Shadowfax-ST

As ridden by Pat
Bike
White 08 ST1300
This should answer all your questions... I can change the bulb in 30 w/time to spare.

If you feel around the connector you'll feel the sides give a little.. go towards the headlight a little more and you'll feel more of the pins.
Just to help out - the missing link for me was in the squeezing so another pic that may help those cognitively challenged such as I....once this is done with the panels off it seems so easy, but fiddling round with eyes on the ends of m'fingers shoved down the cowling was sooo hard! ie - no blood drawn this time!!!

Thanks again to all the excellent posts leading to my own enlightenment.:)

I also swapped out the positioning lamps for blue-filtered ones seeing as I'd dropped one into the headlamp unit and I had to remove it anyway (also a blue-filtered halogen for balance). Getting it out was so much of a laugh I'd recommend the exercise to everyone...:eek::

I attach 2 additional self-indugent if irrelavent images just for bragging rights: I think I earned it.

Attachments

Bike
Tiger Explorer
STOC #
This is a Great website. Blew the left (low) bulb. Not much life there, bike is only 7 months old. Looked at htis thread and had it changed in about 15 minutes. Sure was dreading it after reading some of the comments here.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
This should answer all your questions... I can change the bulb in 30 w/time to spare.

If you feel around the connector you'll feel the sides give a little.. go towards the headlight a little more and you'll feel more of the pins.
I started my ST1300 in the garage this morning before backing out to leave for work. Thought there was a bright flash of light against the garage wall, but didn't give it any thought. Got a few blocks from the house & when I stopped behind a car suddenly realized the LH low beam burned out. I don't ride much after dark, but I'm concerned that when I do & have to use the low beams, the bike might pull to the right, until I get that bad bulb replaced. :D
I tried sticking my hand in there this afternoon to find the plug or back of the bulb, and think I may have to find a lady with much smaller hands to reach it for me so I don't have to resort to removing the plastic first. Wonder if I could speak to a massage therapist about....
Anyway, if I'm gonna have to instruct her how to remove/replace the bulb, I've gotta figure out the correct sequence of events from these posts and/or my SM. Am I correct in assuming the electrical connector must be unplugged first, then the rubber boot removed, then unlatch the wire bail to remove the bulb? It sure looks like one of those tasks that can lead to a lot of frustration & 4-letter words to have to do most of it by "feel". Wish me luck y'all - me or the lady with small hands will need a lot of encouraging words, I do believe.

Don

Shadowfax-ST

As ridden by Pat
Bike
White 08 ST1300
I started my ST1300 in the garage this morning before backing out to leave for work. Thought there was a bright flash of light against the garage wall, but didn't give it any thought. Got a few blocks from the house & when I stopped behind a car suddenly realized the LH low beam burned out. I don't ride much after dark, but I'm concerned that when I do & have to use the low beams, the bike might pull to the right, until I get that bad bulb replaced. :D
I tried sticking my hand in there this afternoon to find the plug or back of the bulb, and think I may have to find a lady with much smaller hands to reach it for me so I don't have to resort to removing the plastic first. Wonder if I could speak to a massage therapist about....
Anyway, if I'm gonna have to instruct her how to remove/replace the bulb, I've gotta figure out the correct sequence of events from these posts and/or my SM. Am I correct in assuming the electrical connector must be unplugged first, then the rubber boot removed, then unlatch the wire bail to remove the bulb? It sure looks like one of those tasks that can lead to a lot of frustration & 4-letter words to have to do most of it by "feel". Wish me luck y'all - me or the lady with small hands will need a lot of encouraging words, I do believe.

Don
I know that not everyone will agree with me as it's actually a quite "simple" operation (once you've done it and apologised for your language in Church), but I think doing your first bulb change should be done with the side cowl removed because:

1. You visualize and feel to learn to do it with the cowl still on..
2. You loose the fear of removing the cowls and get quicker doing it.
3. You reduce the need to find young slender-handed women to do your fiddling for you. (?!)

There is likely enough instruction from Mellow (joe) and others throughout this thread to instruct an assistant but at risk? Anyone suffering a lack of confidence, experience, or physical access to this task would benefit trying it with the cowl off. This is no slight on anyone but just relating my own findings and feelings on a task that caused me the pain I'd not wish on others!

Otherwise what you suggest sounds reasonable from memory.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Don
Don, you have an '03... on 2003 models I noticed there is a plastic fork guard that I have only noticed on 2003's... If you remove that, it's a simple task.

Item 18 here:
http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/1/Make/Honda/YearID/44/Year/2003/ModelID/7127/Model/ST1300A/GroupID/308412/Group/FRONT_BRAKE_HOSE_ST1300

Bike
08 ST1300ABS
Just installed OSRAM H4's on my new ride. What a pain! I've got some cut hands but the job is 50% done. I'm looking for :crackup sympathy. One of the 2 bulbs had a bad low beam filament so I had to use the OEM. Yes I did not find this out until I was finished. But I've got the by feel method down!

Cheers!

Larry

Bike
ST1100
I've just replaced another one!!!!!!!!!!
I've got the scars to prove it. Mental & physical. I got the wire loose from the back, that bit wasn't too hard. The boot came off of the back of the bulb ok, but then I found the last time (late last year?) I replaced the bulb, I had placed the tab on the boot under a part of the loom which allowed me to touch it, I could touch it, but the wire stopped me pulling it. Get the firking wire out the way. It won't move. bugger, its coming on to rain. See the water run down Pauls arm. Can you swear continually for five minutes? Paul can.
Got the boot tab, is it moving? It's wet. Now it's slippery. We know a song about that don't we Johnny?
Got the blasted thing. Throw it in the bin. Get it out again.
Loosen the wire clippy thing. Does it go up or down, can't see, can't feel, loosing the will to go on. It's come loose. which way did it work? still don't know. Got the bulb out, new bulb in, clippy thing is that in? wiggle it, yes, wiggle it in disbelief, no its not now. The bulbs gone. Catch it. Put it back in.
Wire thingy again. OK, just tug on the bulb this time to check.
Get the boot back on. Making sure I can get at the tab next time.
Where the flock is the connector. It was here just twenty five minutes ago. I pulled it of of the Blasted plug. There it is, no, thats just a disconect on another loom. This one then, yeah that'll do. it won't go the boots still over the pins. get the boot on properly. There, now where's the connector. no that's the disconnect again. AAAAAAAAAArgh. Yes I'm fine thanks. No, I'm just putting a new bulb in the bike. yes it does take a long time doesn't it?
STill, that's done now. turn the key. Check it works. Yip.
Smashing looking bike these ST1100s.
Anybody got a farkle for chucking out the standard head light unit & replacing it with something an adult can work on?

I just replaced mine in about 5 minutes. Thanks to the advice and photos in this thread, it was pretty easy.

Thanks guys! :bow1:

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
I also swapped out the positioning lamps for blue-filtered ones seeing as I'd dropped one into the headlamp unit and I had to remove it anyway (also a blue-filtered halogen for balance). Getting it out was so much of a laugh I'd recommend the exercise to everyone...:eek::

This just happened to me. I pulled the position bulb socket out of the headlight, and the bulb fell out of the socket and disappeared in the gap between the reflector and lens. I don't know if there's any way to get it out, but I figure it isn't going to do any harm down there.

Shadowfax-ST

As ridden by Pat
Bike
White 08 ST1300
This just happened to me. I pulled the position bulb socket out of the headlight, and the bulb fell out of the socket and disappeared in the gap between the reflector and lens. I don't know if there's any way to get it out, but I figure it isn't going to do any harm down there.
I'm pretty slick at taking the cowls off now (another time last night taking the HID out for the annual MOT test) and stripping the front cowl and lamp assembly was still pretty scary. In the event I took my time and got the little lamp out (tipped it out the H4 socket) but best of all, other than a raised confidence I felt I had achieved something.

As normally Lego is taxing to me I can only assume anyone can do this. Have a go; allow an afternoon.

It's a great way to get intimate with your bike without getting the neighbour's tongues wagging.

Top Bottom