changing headlight bulbs

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
I've had the front cowl off before, and if I have a reason to take it off again, I'll try to get the bulb out. But I'm not going to take everything apart just for that.

Shadowfax-ST

As ridden by Pat
Bike
White 08 ST1300
I've had the front cowl off before, and if I have a reason to take it off again, I'll try to get the bulb out. But I'm not going to take everything apart just for that.
Sorry, I think you may even have posted about fitting something in there? I used forum photos as reference. Fair play; on reflection once was enough for me, too :)

At route, I'm still frustrated by the STupidity of Honda's designers around user maintenance. The bulb should be easier to access and not able to drop off in to a closed assembly in the first place. I reckon it'd cost 2-hrs of a Honda service centre's time - that's over ?100 for a ?1 bulb. Even to the mechanically challenged like me that's just Crazy.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
No need to apologize. If I sounded upset, that was unintended.

I agree with you about maintenance. It seems to me clear that the ST was designed much more for ease of assembly than ease of maintenance. I guess that, to some extent, that's the price of a more compact motorcycle. The ST1100 was roomier, and in many respects easier to work on. But a key goal of the 1300 was to be sportier, and that resulted in a slightly smaller, more compact package, with more stuff crammed into less space.

I found one of my high beams was out today. Since I have seen so many complaints about all the trouble replacing the lights, I figured I would take pictures this time to demonstrate the "easy" way to change the bulbs. 10 minutes to do both sides...

I hope this helps...

Bike
'05 ST1300A
Replaced my left bulb yesterday...first time trying it (had a left replaced last year by a dealer under the 3 year warranty while in the States-not covered under the extended warranty).

Scanned though this thread and then found the pictures...perfect. Snipped off the 2 tabs on the $10 H4 generic replacement, and all went well...done in under 15 minutes (5-10 minutes were probably just looking and head scraching). Nothing to it other than the awkward location...now I know for next time. Thanks for the info...made it a lot easier!

Pepe'

Jabberwockey knowledgeable
Bike
2006 ST1300R
I replaced STinky's headlights with Sylvania HP2(?) 60w/55w yesterday. Interesting thing was that on the back there is a chart showing the increased performance at the cost of product life. I chose in the middle so hopefully I won't have to replace them that often and still have better lighting.

Do the other headlights you have installed chart performance vs life expectancy?

No shims installed. Lights seem fully seated in housing.
Terminal grease made getting the headlight separated from the connector MUCH easier.

Shadowfax-ST

As ridden by Pat
Bike
White 08 ST1300
Tra-daa! I swapped out the quick to expire cheapo blue-tinted left halogen (with it's cheap used for the MOT partner) last night without taking the cowlings off (my preferred technique). Getting the rubber boot back on was frustrating but perseverence and a piss-taking neighbour saw me through.

I managed the entire operation from the front left but swapped hands during the fiddlier bits. Blimey, I'm almost a mechanic now.

Bike
ST 1300
I feel your pain. The first time you do this, it's a bit of a challenge. Here's a link that should get you moving in the right direction. I've found it easiest if I face the rear of the bike and reach back to get at the bulb. YMMV.

Good luck.

John
I am not very mechanically minded but after following the link provided I was able to change my headlight bulb. It took me over an hour and going back and forth from the pics to the garage but I did it. I have a very sore index finger from playing with the bail clip but I think I could change the bulb in about three minutes now. I sent a personal email to the guy who provided the info on the link to thank him for sharing it with us.

Shadowfax-ST

As ridden by Pat
Bike
White 08 ST1300
Update-again - I had to replace another left side Halogen on Sunday and did it in under 3-minutes this time!!! (Right hand facing front). It just goes to show practice makes perfect-ish.

Perhaps swapping out a bulb should be compulsory training on taking delivery...ahem, [EVIL]he, hee[/EVIL]

Last edited:

Shadowfax-ST

As ridden by Pat
Bike
White 08 ST1300
Here's a thread that might be helpful with this question . . . all-in-all.

:duck: :scared2: :duck:

:06biker: :spank1: :06biker:
I've loved that thread; so many members I don't recognise as having contributed anything useful that I've used to now.

So let's spend a page or two debating whether we want an inclusive or exclusive forum. Then again, let's not. I think that subject has been covered in the linked subject thread? Personally, I found the thrust of it disappointing.

There's only one stupid question: the one you're afraid to ask. Let's continue to support knowledge sharing across our community at all levels and forgive those with less time to sift the miriad of existing threads for their specfic needs.

Viva questions, opinion, assistance, and debate! (Without threads like this I'd never have become an expert in my own time on how to change a bulb; so good a sage in fact I feel an article coming on...)

Shadowfax-ST

As ridden by Pat
Bike
White 08 ST1300
that helps a lot. thanks. Just what we/I needed.
I was being sarcastic at the time (I'm guessing you're not?) but on reflection I'd have found an article useful, too. It's not something I'll forget easily, that frustration with something that should be so simple but isn't before it is 'learned'.

I'd advise a thorough Reading of the thread here for the advice that helped me out but if you've not yet removed the cowlings I'd do just that to begin with: you get familiar with the job and to visualise the headlamp bulb gubbings. This makes it easier when you then try the skill through the bars when vision is near impossible. That said, practice the thread search above to directly access Mellow's (Joe's) Posts in this thread, which got me through a period of intense frustration with how many ST owners it takes.... :)

There are many 'simple' things I have found difficult having only been riding (nearly) 2-years that more experinced tinkerers find instinctive. We all have to start somewhere!

I design elearning (proper stuff, not page turners) for a living and this sort of STuff is making me think...maybe even plan...

TXRoadRash

FWDoc
Bike
2008 GL1800
AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:censored
Stupid wire bail!!!

Took out the bulb to practice (using the old bulb) as Joe suggested, and it was a breeze. Put the bulb (with shim back in) and :censored -- there was no way!!! Sooooooo...

Tried it without the shim and SHAZAAM! It was a 5 second snap in if that.

The bulb seats without the shim, so that stuid lil'sucker is getting tossed. Who would have thought that the shim would prevent the bail from seating??? Shudda been a 5 minute task . . . but give the problem with the shim it took an hour.

Time to go ride...
:)

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
Hey.. just wanted to say thank you for your post on changing bulbs. The pictures sure helped, as did the step by step instructions. Thankees!:04biker:

Rodneypieon

Rodney
Bike
2004 ST1300A
All the advice is great and the pics make it pretty clear what to do. I have been trying to get the clip off for about an hour and have the imprints of the tabs in the ends of two of my fingers. I have tried heavy pressure and no pressure at all. My son with smaller hands has tried too but it will not move at all. I am ready to call uncle and go to the local dealer. Any other ideas to try ?
Thanks

Shadowfax-ST

As ridden by Pat
Bike
White 08 ST1300
Remove the side cowls; get a good view. It sounds a pain but I learned to do it 'properly' by practicing with this almost full vision. It also allows a satisfying clean and is cheaper than any STealer - unless, like mine, sometimes they're helpful for free. ;)

Bike
03ST11P,94ST11A
STOC #
The other suggestion I would have would be to slip your phone down (or up) into the space and take a picture or video. You will get a much better feel for where everything is and how it unhooks.

Maybe this needs to become a featured competition at the next STOC. :D

Rodneypieon

Rodney
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Great - thanks for the help ! I have a smart phone and can't get it down or up there. I tried the push forward and I did get some movement but no release.
I haven't taken the side cowls off as I just got home from work and took the easy route first. Maybe my next day off if I don't give up first. Thanks again !
:bow1:

Rodneypieon

Rodney
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Eureka it came off. Having told so many people perserverence is the only true talent to encourage them - I had to try again. I felt a small amount of movement and then it slid off just like Mellow described as if it were oiled. The new bulb worked too !

Don't know if I can do it again but no doubt the other side will go soon and I'll get that chance.

Top Bottom