No Tool Tire Mounting

Bike
97 ST1100 04 ST1300
STOC #
Bringing an old post to life - has anyone tried this recently? Just looking for more information on this technique.

Should I add zip ties to my travel bag?

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I've used the 2x4 bead breaker, but now just use my spoons. As to scratched rims, nobody can see the scratches at 80 MPH. :D

Add a little soap before attempting to break the bead. It helps.

STOC #
Bringing an old post to life - has anyone tried this recently? Just looking for more information on this technique.

Should I add zip ties to my travel bag?
I think the answer is already in the thread. :) Sounds like it will work with Avon's, but not Bridgestones.

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
Great thread! I'll try the zip ties on the next change as it might be a life saver on a road trip.

One caution regarding tire lubes: using a lubricant which will not dry out or break down into a form which does remain as a lubricant can lead to trouble. Dish soap does not necessarily have the properties which are best for this purpose. The bead area of the tire's pressure against the rim accepts the shear which transfers driving thrust and braking thrust between tire and wheel. One does not want the area to be lubricated so that the tire "walks" on the wheel. Tire lubricants are designed to lubricate but to dry out or break down so that they do not dissolve in water again or otherwise become a lubricant. Or at least that's what we were taught at tire school.

I know many very credible bike techs use WD40 for the purpose and endorse it as satisfactory. My personal observation of a few dozen tires mounted and run with this material showed not signs of walking on the wheel but I don't believe that my evaluation would be accepted by a coroner's inquest so make your own decision. Tire mounting lubricants are sold for this purpose.

A friend lost some fingers in a table saw recently after nearly 50 years of professional carpentry experience. Just goes to prove that doing something for a long time does not prove it is the right way so we all need to keep thinking about what and why when we make decisions regarding mechanical devices. Tires are certainly no exception.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
Raising this idea again because I recently stumbled upon another variation on this theme at THIS website. I bought 8 of the inexpensive straps, but it took me an hour to compress the tire and sequentially tighten each until the tire beads were making contact (Bridgestone BT020F rear tire). When I attempted to mount the tire, I had to coax the last half using the bead-breaker bar on my No-Mar tire changer. Afterwards, it required Herculean strength ... OK, it was really just me ... to pull out the last three straps. I think I'll stick to using the spoons for mounting the rear tires ... much easier & faster IMHO.

On the plus side, I now own some additional strong tie-down straps which pack small.

Attachments

Bike
2005 ST1300AB-P
Just finished putting a new tire on the front, used tire irons for the taking off and putting on. To break the bead I used a vice in the shop. It was able to break the bead and not touch the rim. The zip ties sound like they would work great especially when out on the road.

Top Bottom