Fat Man on ST1300 needs suspension help

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I need to get the fork legs working asap. I think I need to get that done first then I will re-evaluate the suspension once it actually works. It waqs confirmed by another ST forum member today that the the forks arent compressing at all. So right now I basically have no suspenion.
Was service recently done on this bike?

OP
OP
cali_rider

cali_rider

Metric Bike Renegade
Was service recently done on this bike?
No, it needs to have the 8k mile service done. i am probably just going to change the oil since thats the only thing that gets changed.

I wanted to try loosening the front wheel like said but I dont have a service manual so I dont have the torque spec or processes. I just dont want to pay money for anything if its thats simple but I need to do this ASAP as I have no front suspension.

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
It could be the forks are tweaked in the triple tree. (I think someone said that.)

If you are taking it to the dealer, obviously have them look at it.

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
I always seem to run across a thread that delves into the issue at hand for the day. Must be an omen! I had the very same thought over the weekend. As I drive gingerly along hitting the small imperfections on the road I can tell the front suspension isn't moving one bit. I look down the opening in teh cowl at the shocks and they are not moving unless it is a fairly big bump. It's not that it is locked up because it moves quite freely when I set on it and bounce the front end. I was blaming this whole thing on "Stiction". I also thought this is what to expect on a sport oriented machine. Now after reading these posts I am wondering if I do have a problem? As I drive on a relatively smooth road the tiny bounces I feel are more of a jittery feeling as though it is the tire itself soaking up the smaller bumps.

To those of you who have changed out your front springs, has it helped in this regard?

OP
OP
cali_rider

cali_rider

Metric Bike Renegade
Well, I went out into the garage and did exactly as said. I loosened up the pinch bolts, pushed it against the brick wall a few times, re-tightened and wa-la. The suspension compresses again. I will take it to work tommorow and see how much of a difference it makes.

Bike
2004 ST1300
Well, I went out into the garage and did exactly as said. I loosened up the pinch bolts, pushed it against the brick wall a few times, re-tightened and wa-la. The suspension compresses again. I will take it to work tommorow and see how much of a difference it makes.
Ooooo, this is an old thread. But...how were the results overall? Did you later go with any suspension upgrades?

Top Bottom