Good & Bad farkles

Cheddarhead

Smell the Dairy Air!
Bike
2003 ST1300...the "O
STOC #
Things I wouldn't dream of "not" doing/having...
1. Stebel Horn (or equivalent)...My way of "reaching out..." to somebody who just didn't look...or see me...or give a d@mn.
2. "Tail-brights" Retroreflective film. Another way of being visible after dusk.
3. Tip-Over Bars: In addition to saving me from having to replace a pannier, they make a great place to install gimbal-mounted holders for water bottles.

Things that just make life easier...
1. MCL Riser Plate with Powerlet.
2. Heated Grips
3. Bestem Top Box: Cheap, but wholly functional.
4. Nelson-Riggs Silver Streak Tank Bag.
5. Crampbuster

Items on the workbench, but have yet to install...
1. Dick Seng Under-Mirror Light Brackets and HID's (to see...)
2. Wally-world fork-mounted aux lights (to be seen....)
3. Vista-cruise Throttle Lock
4. LED Tailbrights or equivalent...

Things I'm glad I removed...
1. Hondaline Factory Radio and Speakers (For Sale!)

Bike
2007 ST1300
I love my Givi 55 Litre top box - so roomy!

I don't like my Vista Cruise and have removed it.
I do like being able to lock the throttle and might buy a Kaoko throttle lock but I couldn't stand the loss of throttle grip space to the Vista - it made the throttle grip LESS comfortable for my right hand and that is the opposite of what I was going for.

OP
OP
epconde

epconde

Easy Ed
Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I love my Givi 55 Litre top box - so roomy!

I don't like my Vista Cruise and have removed it.
I do like being able to lock the throttle and might buy a Kaoko throttle lock but I couldn't stand the loss of throttle grip space to the Vista - it made the throttle grip LESS comfortable for my right hand and that is the opposite of what I was going for.
I like my Throttlemeister.

With my recently developed, motorcycle-induced tendonitis, I wouldn't be able to make nor would I even attempt a multi day scooter trip without the cruise control (Audiovox).

Also because of my tendency toward tendonitis in my hands and wrists, I have two sets of Grip Puppies over aftermarket grips for a nice, big, far more secure and comfortable way to hold onto the bike. I've ridden other people's bikes for short periods and their skinny stock grips were like trying to hold onto pencils. It didn't feel very secure at all, and my hands were aching within a short period of time. If I had to hold onto those skinny stock grips the entire time, especially without c/c, I wouldn't make it very far.

Also important from a comfort POV on an extended trip are my taller windscreen and handlebar risers.

From a safety standpoint, my aux driving lights mounted wide out under the rear view mirrors seem very effective in making me visible even in daylight.

I've used my flat rack a ton (no pun intended) on my moto camping trips.

I consider my lockable/quick disconnect tank bag is pretty much indispensable on long rides and/or on moto camping expeditions (I call it my "purse" :)).

I've also gotten a lot of use out of my 12v outlet, and my velcro mounted, cheapy combo compass/thermometer attached to the top of my brake reservoir.

I have quick disconnect folding foot pegs which I sometimes attach to the tip over frames for long trips, then remove them around town. It's nice to have the option of another foot position when I'm spending extended time in the saddle, but I've also made long trips without them and didn't miss them too much.

I've used my combo CB/weather radio a few times. Nice to have on a trip, but I could do without it if I had to.

I have a like/meh relationship with my Corbin seat. I like the looks of it vs. the stock seat, and in some ways it's more comfortable than stock, but the way it's cut down makes it a tad too low for my long legs, meaning more knee bend while on the pegs. My fleece/gel pad over top of the seat gives it a little more height and cushion, so I use the pad pretty much all the time.

I've used the helmet guardian mounted on the license plate frame quite a bit. I could live without it, but it's nice to have.

Bike
03 ST1300
Best:
Russell Day Long seat - will never have a bike without it. Expensive? Yes.
Givi 52L top box (Given to me by my friend Jerry that passed away from a brain tumor. The box is beat up - Jerry was a bit of a putz - but the box has moved with me from several bikes and reminds me of the good times we had every time I use it.)

Want to add:
Stebel Horn (don't have on this bike but want to add)
Electronic Cruise
Heated Grips

Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
I find my Bestem 2012 indespensible (any trunk would do I guess..Givi..Hondaline) I also like the Bungee nuts I have mounted on the top of the Bestem box the and adjustable bungies cords for affixing things to the top of the trunk securely.

I find my helmet guardian indespensable as well. I have my guardian mounted on the lic plate but use 2 pot holders folded in half and sewed to keep the helmets off the mufflers.

In the summer I really like my replacement stock shield that I cut 5" off the top of.

I find the Cramp Buster just OK, but hey it helps

I have Progrip Gel grips and although better than stock, I'd like to find something better there as well.

I'm not as pleased with the Tank Slapper as I thought I'd be, although must admit it has done it's job of protecting my tank from my knees, tank bag and jacket zipper. Just doesn't look all that good and keeps lifting in places. I'd like to find something better in that regards.

Those are the extent of my farkles.
I put foam grips on mine then found grip it raquette ball covers over those soft soak up vibration the grip it gives excellent traction so you don't have to squeeze to hard. They are also larger diameter than stock which I liked

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Since I discovered the speedo reads a tad off, I began to experiment with other ways to indicate true speed. Windmills and handlebar tassels help some but they're not accurate either on windy days. Good question. When I wake up, I'll consider it further.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
For *me*:

1) indispensable (would add again on a new bike)
throttle lock, if bike didn't have cruise
GPS with music player
heated gear connection
TPMS (still don't have it, but Santa may read my memo this year!)
satellite tracking (on the fringe as this isn't a bike farkle, per se)
tire repair kit, with 12V compressor (also on the fringe)
seat improvements (TBD by bike)
pannier liner bags
factory service manual
center stand (if not stock on the bike)
radiator guard

2) so so (could take it or leave it.)
handlebar risers (TBD by bike ergos)
extended warranty (TBD by bike manufacturer)
switched fuse/relay box (Fuzebox or similar; I don't do many added electronics)
blaster horn (Fiamm, Stebel, etc.)
topbox (strap-on luggage is easy)
more forward lighting (TBD by bike; I rarely ride at night)
suspension upgrades (TBD by bike; haven't found it necessary yet)
tip-over protection (TBD by bike)
engine guard, pan protector (TBD by bike)
front fender extender
brake light enhancements (whelen or similar; TBD by bike)

3) not worth it (wouldn,t buy for a new bike)
exhaust 'upgrades'
2-way radio
satellite radio
headlight modulator
luggage rack
K&N air filter
oversized aftermarket windshield
HID headlamp replacements
LED tail/marker bulb replacements

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Hey, not a fair farkle since ST1100 owners can't call it a farkle as it comes standard like that on the ST1100's, although we have them on both the inside and the lid of each saddlebag :D. Maybe a best farkle for an ST1300 owner is an ST1100?
One might state the very same about those helmet hangers, since the ST1100 features two OEM ones underneath the seat; and since the lids hang vertically there, their padding probably wouldn't even get soaked there during a downpour... (also less accessible for the "unknown pisser striking"... :lol:)
Frankly: I'd never leave them lids open and unattended anywhere...

There's also the built in factory can holders on the ST1100's that's not found on the ST1300's. (flat tip over wings work great as holders when stopped).
Yep, very convenient and getting used a lot during hangar-times for keeping tools, parts, coffee mugs and soda cans right in reach :cool:

Intercom
Tunes (car stereo for TA, interface to iPod serving as infinite random source of my favorite tracks... sick and tired of listening to jobber-jabber and commercials on aired programs)
GPS with audio out (not having to stare down on maps, ahead on signs, etc... is a real safety-profit)
quality PMR radio, good on long rides with comrades (saves time negotiating for coffee, fuel or which way to go), or when serving as leader or sweeper at group rides...
Reasonable taller windsreen (most bikes seem to be designed for dwarfs in this...)
A set of big A** horns... (that EC-norm-silenced crap just doesn't serve the intended purpose... when I need to use the horns I am in distress, thus they need to be loud and horrorfying...)
Middleton Parking Brake... excellent add on for toll-booths, ferry-ports, boarding an auto-train, tying the rig to the ferry deck/train car, stopping at a Kodak-point, checking sunglasses, picking a bug off the visor frame, etc...
High amp power connector for booster cables (donate or receive), also enables connection of other equipment like a Slime Kit compressor...
OEM topcase (holds the lighweight stuff when on the road with the missus, gloves, thermo liners, etc...)
decent tank bag with tank protection (like Bagster), for the more heavy or delicate items you need to have quick access to (tools, tie-downs, netbook, cameras...)

Never mentioned/offered but heavily demanded by me:
heated rear views!!! mad.gif
I HATE it in rain and during colder days:
every time you dart into a tunnel, enter a parking garage or stand idling at a red light them things fog up... totally annoying, and dangerious while in dense traffic...
This is a MUST for a touring motorcycle (squids and other small vermin are not out in the rain anyway...)

Heated handles, convenient but since having a selection of proper gloves aboard, I rarely in the need to use them...
Running lights (illiminated front turn-signals), look cool, some added safety due serving as corner markers, but not essential...
Alarm system, nice to have (especially about careless cagers banging into your mount), but one has to accept the increased stand-by current...

3) not worth it (wouldn,t buy for a new bike)
there is quite a LOT out there....
BakerBoy had covered it quite good...

Last edited:

DAS

STOC #
All off them except I rarely use the driving lights since getting the HIDs
custom blue metallic paint
Russel Daylong seat
Symtec grip heaters
DYI PWM electric jacket control
Audiovox CCS100 cruise control
VVME HID Digital Slim H4-3(9003) Bi-Xenon 4300k
Autocom with custom molded ear phones and mic plug
homemade Riser bars
Optilux 1500 driving lights but don't need 'em with the HID headlights
custom back rack - half of an old one way sign

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
TomTom Rider GPS on a Clutch mounted RAM ball
Heated grips (this is Canada, after all)
Pannier and top box liner bags
Hondaline top box with wing and Brake LED's

Brake LED flasher on the top box lights
Cheapo eBay Chinese Bluetooth Intercom that also carries audio (directions, and surprisingly, phone) from TomTom Rider GPS
LED turn signal repeaters in the mirrors (actually look very cool, updates bike image)

3) not worth it (wouldn't buy for a new bike)
Sargent Seat

4) Wish I had
Alarm
Gear Position Indicator

jww193

Jeff W
As others have said, I've removed the headlight modulator, it was a PIA with other driver's reactions to it.

Top Bottom