Victory Vision test ride and thoughts

I posted this on the VTXOA website, but since so many here move to or from the GOld Wing I thought this might give some insight.

Well we went to Bikes, BLues and BBQ and I really wanted to demo the Fjr but they were all booked up so I managed to demo a Vision. That is one different looking bike and I was nervous as I had never ridden a bike that large before and did not know what to expect. I split my riding between a ST1100 and a VTX 1300C that is raked and a fat tire, so this demo was far from anything I had ridden.

I did not like the engine at all. Twin cyclinder that was as rough as the X. On a large bike I expected smoothness and nota cruiser type engine. It was noisy and to me not a good thing when you wanted to eat up some interstate as most would on these bikes. But it did run very well and had plenty of power. We got seperated from the group due to a slow rider and when I got on the interstate to catch up I accelerated quickly and before I knew it I hit 100 mph. Of course I backed off for safety reasons but it did handle well and despite my poor impression of the Twin cyclinder in this kind of bike, it does really well in the power dept for get up and go. I seemed to always be in the wrong gear and that was probably my fault, it does have a indicator to tell you which gear you are in, and when we got on the interstate and settled into speeds of 65-70 that 6th gear was to high. At 90 it was great, but I do not ride that fast all the time and thought it was lugging some in the hills and 2-up. If all the bags were loaded I would think it would get even worse. So to me 6th gear is to high. I will say I do not like to lug my bikes so others may not have thought this as big a issue as I did.

Handling was a concern of mine at slow speeds. OUt of the lot where tons of people were in the way it was unnerving at first. I felt like a new rider all wobbly and such, but after we hit the road it was awesome. Alot like my ST1100 as far as agility but it is still a larger bike so I was conservative. By the time we got back to the slow speeds thru the lot with all the bystanders I had gotten accustomed to it and by using the friction zone and dragging the rear brake I had no troubles at all. Interstate speeds it was rock solid and wind was not a issue at all. I liked the electric windshield and all the gadgets, radio, cruise and so forth. I have thought I would like a Gold Wing and this was kinda my way of comparing the 2, I have yet to ride a Gold Wing other that my FIL's trike, but a friend just bought one and has promised to swap bikes soon so I will have more to compare to then, but a guy that rode in the group had a WIng and he said the Vision did not hold a candle to it. The engine and overall feel is what he did not like.

Riding position was nice and comfy to me, and the Wing rider agreed. I am 6'0 200 lbs, he musta been 6'7 and 220 or so, kinda skinny but not skin and bones. I can not see it getting much better but for different height folks I can see this being suggestive. THey did allow 2-up so the wife was with me and I could not even tell she was there. Pillion comfort was great for her as well. She did wish they had arm rests, but I would think that is available aftermarket.

Looks are a matter of opinion but after the intial shock we kinda started to like it. We got several waves/thumbs up in just a short 30 minutes from the cagers around. They had a predetermined route that was 21 miles with everything from in town, twisties, interstates, to very crowded parking lots so I think it was a pretty good representation of what it would be like to ride this bike daily.

I could get used to it, but that engine would always be a sore spot for me. I think if you rode a cruiser for years and liked the rumble and quirkyness that they all have in engine noises you would like this bike. if you did not like the Gold Wing for the quiteness and seemingly old person persona then the Victory Vision might be just for you.

I did enjoy the ride, and it is not a horrible bike, these are just my thoughts. ANyways I only rode it for fun as I am very brand loyal and doubt I would stray from Honda.

Here are a couple of pics. We rode a absolutely georgous Blue one but no pics of it so here are some others.

Bike
Goldwing
Great report. It's like all other Bikes, good and bad points, or likes and dislikes for riders. I've reported on the Vision before, and want one for sure! Of course I STill want another Wing again too, even though I am enjoying my ST. And hope soon to try a raffle for an Ultra Classic, so I appreciate moST of the touring Bikes.

Actually I was very interested in the anniversary Vision (very expensive however). They only made 100, and sold them online. ALL were sold in SEVEN minutes!!! I do hope to look at the blue one, but have yet to run into one. One thing that was free was getting a tee shirt for the demo ride. Always good to have another Bike tee.:D

skyboybry

Hi-Hi!
Bike
Sparkles
STOC #
I like the fact that an American bike company is at least trying to make a bike that looks like it belongs in this century. I like the styling, but I also like the styling of most bikes. It wouldn't replace my ST by any means, but then again, my ST can't replace my GT. Different tools, different jobs, different ends to means. I'd ride it, happily. I also ride my GoPed happily. It's fun being a dufus.

sbB

Rossi

R.I.P. - 2014/08/28
Rest In Peace
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
I have not ridden the Vision, but I applaud Victory for their bold move into futuristic styling.

STArnie13

R.I.P. - 2020/07/03
Rest In Peace
I drove by the local Victory dealer this afternoon and saw a Gold Wing in the line of bikes by the street. It looks like some Gold Wing riders like it enough to trade for it.:03biker:

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Nice write up.
It's a little to art deco for me.
Ok a lot. LOL. But I like to see them making a go of it.

Bike
06 ST 1300
STOC #
thanks for the reviiew.
I like the look and like that Victory had the huevos to try something totaly different.
This thing needs the edge of the the front cowling and the top of the fender painted dark red with the top of the front forks powder coated white, some black eye brows painted over the headlight.ala WWII fighter planes! kewl! :D

Bike
Goldwing
They stretched their 100cc engine to 106 for the Vision concept too. It's bold and unique, for such a design. I like it, as stated earlier. But the side bags don't offer as much room as some will want. But I love that big tail light idea. And for floorboards, they're about half a block long, allowing for movement during the ride. I sure hurt for that on the ST.

But if I can remember how Oklahoma Keith did his highway pegs, I may solve my cramped position on the ST, haha.

Bike
Aprilia Atlantic 200
STOC #
After crawling all over one at Laughlin I noticed the exhaust x over dips under the drive belt. I would think in slow riding/traffic that would cook the belt.??

Look at the 1st pic, you can see the rectangular pipe above the A in USA.

Top Bottom