Article [11] ST1100 - $10 Homemade deflector farkle set

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #

I wanted some temporary wind deflectors for my 3600Mile ride to Key West and back to New England in chilly October (I leave this Friday). So here?s a brief write up of how I saved money by making my own using a shoestring budget, elbow grease, and 1 hour.

Stopped at Lowes and picked up about 10 dollars in supplies.

* Plexiglas
* Industrial double sided sticky foam
* Cheap plain ceramic tiles.

Plus tools I already own.

* Dremel
* Leatherman
* Cardboard
* Sharpie

First you make the part out of cardboard before any cutting is done.

Then trace your cardboard design on the piece.

Score the Plexiglas and break it to the desired size.

Now you can use the dremel tool to carve the shape out of the plexiglass.

Once the piece is cut out, you can bend it to the right angle.

I bought 2 cheap pieces of plain tile and placed them a inch apart on top of a burner. A wider gap makes a rounder bend. Turn the burner to just past medium and hold the plexiglass close till it becomes pliable over the gap. Then gently bend to just past the desired angle, it will relax to the angle you want as it cools.

WARNING: use safety protection, ceramic tiles may explode if they have a bubble hidden in them.

WARNING: I am told glazed tile emit lead when heated, so use Unglazed Quarry Tile (Look for Fireclay brand, or "All natural clay and shale" or "Lead-Free").

Tip: Cool pieces in fridge before removing protective plastic film, it will come off a lot easier.
Tip: Remember to bend the left and the right side in opposite directions.

Plexiglass is fragile, careful you do not bend too far, or you will have to restart like I did.

Now affix the double sided sticky foam to the piece.

Install and enjoy.
High Res

Note the pieces installed over the mirrors to deflect the wind that would otherwise beat down on my fingers. The pieces easily slip between the mirror and the mirror cover. They are too thin to be permanent, a curious passerby could snap them off with little effort. I also threw on a couple simple shin guards.

Should you wish for a little more longevity, I would make them using Lexan. It is twice as hard to break, bend, and cut. But should last the life of the bike.

HD photos can be found here.

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Re: How To:$10 Homemade deflector farkle set

Moving to ST1100 Article/Farkle section.. thanks!

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #

Err to keep you hands warm:confused:
Nice write up. My hands are usually the hardest to keep warm.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #

Sounds like a neat idea.
I'm not quite seeing where these are mounted to the mirrors from the pics however..couple more pics possibly?

Last edited:
Bike
st1300
STOC #

I have not had the opportunity to ride an 1100 and can't comment on the deflectors, but I really like the gapped tiles on the burner trick. very clever indeed, and now stored in the random access memory in my head. Thank You.

OP
OP
Mountain Mike

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #

Err to keep you hands warm:confused:
Nice write up. My hands are usually the hardest to keep warm.
More like reduce windchill.

Excellent & cheap. Just like me! :D

I think making these easy to remove makes sense. You can easily remove them when done in Florida, and pop them back on for your return trip north.
Great suggestion. I will bring the roll of double sided tape and yank them if I feel the need. They do looks kinda dorky, should have rounded the edges more, and may use black electrical tape on the shin flares to hide the 4 patches of foam look.

Sounds like a neat idea.
I'm not quite seeing where these are mounted to the mirrors from the pics however..couple more pics possibly?
I slipped them between the mirror and the mirror cover.
It pops off, and I stickied it to the roof on the inside of the cover and popped it back on.

Last edited:

This is great and I think I am going to do the same. Maybe tomorrow!

FYI Polycarbonate can be bent cold without fear of cracking in a press or bending brake, but it will spring back some. Acrylic softened with heat will not spring back. I have used the slot of a toaster as a "line" heater on small pieces of plexi with ok results.

Bbob

Last edited:

Hi Guys, bad news, Plexiglass or Perspex is brittle and will shatter and explode on impact with rocks etc. That is why our screens are polycarbonate. Don’t use in areas that are prone to damage by flying objects. If you don’t think this is correct then just lightly hit a sample piece with a hammer and see what happens (Safety glasses should be used)

The idea is great but I would recommend polycarbonate. My 2 cents worth.

Cheers
Brett

Bike
'07 ST1300

very interesting

if one used Lexan or polycarbonate, would you still save significant $$ on a homemade item, say small "wings" under the mirrors, etc.....???,

those extensions for shins are a thought for cold weather

thanks for the info- food for thought

Hi Moosulkwaman,
I don’t want to damper this good idea, the cost would be rather high I would say, the idea is great but the material is dangerous to use in areas that are subject to high impact, it’s material strength and brittleness is almost the same as household window glass.
I will have a play with this idea on my bike but I am not using Perspex.

Cheers
Brett

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #

Good idea!

OP
OP
Mountain Mike

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #

UPDATE:
I would definitially remake them with better material next time. Probably lexan. But I was covered head to toe with gear, so if they shattered it would not phase me.

They held up, except when turning around in a dark parking lot in Florida I was surprised to find out it was not a parking lot, but a field of smooth beach sand gobbling my front wheel.

Quick reaction sprung my legs out and saved my bike but my leg hit the right shin shield and broke the corner off, so 45 degree them next time.

Also, I am very glad I had them because the last day of the trip it hit zero degrees outside all the way from NY to Eastern MA. Burrr! So much pain, buying heated gloves before the fall, and that's a promise.

Last edited:

I wanted some temporary wind deflectors for my 3600Mile ride to Key West and back to New England in chilly October (I leave this Friday). So here?s a brief write up of how I saved money by making my own using a shoestring budget, elbow grease, and 1 hour.

Stopped at Lowes and picked up about 10 dollars in supplies.

* Plexiglas
* Industrial double sided sticky foam
* Cheap plain ceramic tiles.

Plus tools I already own.

* Dremel
* Leatherman
* Cardboard
* Sharpie

First you make the part out of cardboard before any cutting is done.

Then trace your cardboard design on the piece.

Score the Plexiglas and break it to the desired size.

Now you can use the dremel tool to carve the shape out of the plexiglass.

Once the piece is cut out, you can bend it to the right angle.

I bought 2 cheap pieces of plain tile and placed them a inch apart on top of a burner. A wider gap makes a rounder bend. Turn the burner to just past medium and hold the plexiglass close till it becomes pliable over the gap. Then gently bend to just past the desired angle, it will relax to the angle you want as it cools.

WARNING: use safety protection, ceramic tiles may explode if they have a bubble hidden in them.

WARNING: I am told glazed tile emit lead when heated, so use Unglazed Quarry Tile (Look for Fireclay brand, or "All natural clay and shale" or "Lead-Free").

Tip: Cool pieces in fridge before removing protective plastic film, it will come off a lot easier.
Tip: Remember to bend the left and the right side in opposite directions.

Plexiglass is fragile, careful you do not bend too far, or you will have to restart like I did.

Now affix the double sided sticky foam to the piece.

Install and enjoy.
High Res

Note the pieces installed over the mirrors to deflect the wind that would otherwise beat down on my fingers. The pieces easily slip between the mirror and the mirror cover. They are too thin to be permanent, a curious passerby could snap them off with little effort. I also threw on a couple simple shin guards.

Should you wish for a little more longevity, I would make them using Lexan. It is twice as hard to break, bend, and cut. But should last the life of the bike.

HD photos can be found here.
HI, sadly i can't see the photos...

Hello mate,
Thanks for the wellcoming, sorry for my lousy english. I've bought a 1999 st1100 candy wineberry red, i dream with this bike sice the launch, i have 3 more Motorcycles ( honda ntv 650 , honda silverwing 600 and a yamaha xj 900 diversion, but my queen now is the ST1100 and must sell the Diversion early spring next year. hope to find here in this page lots of tips and opinions about this wonderfull bike.
Chears Mate

Top Bottom