Shinko rear - 5,000 miles later

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
Shinko rear - 5,000 miles later - 10k Update

I installed (OK, not me ... but the place down the street) a Shinko rear tire on the ST. They did not have the Bridgestone 021 tires that I was running from the dealer so I went with an 020 in the front and decided to try the Shinko on the back.

This has worked great.

The first obvious notice is that the bike no longer pulled to the right. Secondly the Shinko appears to put a bit more tread on the ground. Now maybe it doesn't really but the feeling is that it does.

I ride the desert run to Mexico in excess of 100mph and the bike is steady and smooth. The tire is H rated and handles the speed easy enough.

I have limited twisty action to talk about so I won't at this time. I mainly commute and ride across the desert for enjoyment. Not much of a mountain rider.

For $73 this tire is the bomb. I average 1000 miles per week and as quickly as I change tires this is the best way to go.

Don't be scared of the Shinkos.

UPDATE !

10k to the mile ... almost, give or take 6 miles.

New shoes ... $211.43

For putting new shoes on the bike every 6 weeks I can live with the Shinkos. Good tire all around for me.

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Thanks Mark.. what kind of mileage do you thing you'll get from these?

OP
OP
Capt_Gruuvy

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
I am averaging 38 - 42 mpg. This is my doing in that I ride fast ALL THE TIME. I need to slow down ... at least that what the guy in the funny boots said.

The tire is still thick after 5000 miles. I imagine that I will have over 10k on it. The tire has not squared off like the Bridgestone did either.

Sounds good enough.Which Shinko is it and where did you buy it?
I usually change frt. and rear at the same time but this time my rear is used up and I probaly have at least 7K left on the front. Seems like a good time to experiment.

OP
OP
Capt_Gruuvy

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
The tire is the same size as stock. I purchased it at Beaumont Cycles which is just down the street. Nice people over there.

I'll look up the model number for you. That would be helpful. It is the Shinko Sport Touring tire.

Details to follow.

OP
OP
Capt_Gruuvy

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
I do not know that answer. I was a little apprehensive to switch both since I had no experience with the Shinko's.

I'll look on their website.

Personally I would rather spend a little more on the front and run the Shinko on the rear. Maybe next time I'll get gutsy and run a shinko front.

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
Wow, they have some nice choices but the fronts only come in 16" and 17" so no matched sets for us ST's.

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
Shinko's are not a bad tire but a budget tire. We've had guys run them on Busa's and ZX14's along with Goldwings. They mount easy and balance well. So they are an option

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Shinko's are not a bad tire but a budget tire. We've had guys run them on Busa's and ZX14's along with Goldwings. They mount easy and balance well. So they are an option
Tim, when you say a 'Budget Tire'.. Are you implying they are of less quality or just plain cheaper?

Those that do lots of commuting, along with the current economic situtation, might really benefit for these.

I wouldn't mind throwing one on between tours just for going to work and back at half the price of most other rear tires.

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
Tim, when you say a 'Budget Tire'.. Are you implying they are of less quality or just plain cheaper?

Those that do lots of commuting, along with the current economic situtation, might really benefit for these.

I wouldn't mind throwing one on between tours just for going to work and back at half the price of most other rear tires.
Yes they are cheaper. Quality seems the same. Be careful on these when new they are very slick. Its a must to stick with the 100 mile break in period.

I've had them break loose with very little throttle straight up and down.

Straight line highway I think they would be ok. Not sure about curves but research will tell.

They have expanded their line over the last year. They have Goldwing tires now. I've had some guys run the supersoft tires at the drag strip and love them. All I can tell you is try them and see just be careful.

Brittany and Parker Colorado in summer time
Bike
ST 1100
STOC #
I installed (OK, not me ... but the place down the street) a Shinko rear tire on the ST. They did not have the Bridgestone 021 tires that I was running from the dealer so I went with an 020 in the front and decided to try the Shinko on the back.

This has worked great.

The first obvious notice is that the bike no longer pulled to the right. Secondly the Shinko appears to put a bit more tread on the ground. Now maybe it doesn't really but the feeling is that it does.

I ride the desert run to Mexico in excess of 100mph and the bike is steady and smooth. The tire is H rated and handles the speed easy enough.

I have limited twisty action to talk about so I won't at this time. I mainly commute and ride across the desert for enjoyment. Not much of a mountain rider.

For $73 this tire is the bomb. I average 1000 miles per week and as quickly as I change tires this is the best way to go.

Don't be scared of the Shinkos.
Got to be better than BT 021's, they must be the worst tyre that Bridgestone have made.

With the drought we've been having the past few years I still know but it's hard to describe. It's kinda like what the HD guys say,"If I have to explain it you wouldn't understand"?

Top Bottom