OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Up top for cleaning question in previous post..don't abandon me now fellas. We're almost done and I still need your help.

Rim is now shod with a brand new Michelin Pilot Road 2. Dang those things are pricey, but if I can put off doing this job again a little longer it'll be worth it. Got 8126 out of the original Bridgestone (and it would have gone some more without the slash/flat) but I'm hoping for 10-11,000 out of this Michelin. I have always had good luck with Michelins and won't run anything else on my Honda cars. Got 117,000 miles out of the last set on my car.

The guy at the shop where I had the tire put on said NOT to put loc-tite on the caliper pin. He seemed very familiar with ST's too and speeled off the tire removal procedure correctly from memory. Thoughts on this?

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I'd say MEDIUM Loctite should be OK, but what do I know! Wouldn't use the hard stuff.

Get that tire on! We need another RTE before the sn....snnnn....white crap flies!

OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Hey Pat, I assume you got your alternator fixed and you and Annette rode to the BRP? Have a good time?

What do I clean these splines with? Contact cleaner? WD40? Just a rag?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I use brake cleaner.. then even some q-tips to get anything I miss.. I would think many just wipe off with paper towel and apply some new moly paste.. be careful with that stuff it sticks to ya.. get some rubber gloves.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
< clean out the old molly paste, just a rag or some type of lubricant?>
I just wiped out as much as possible with a rag and old toothbrush... Then put the moly paste back on in spline grooves and lightly wiped o-ring... don't over do the moly.

<hardest part gettin fender off>
I put the bike on a 2x6 with cstand... the extra couple of inches allow the tire to roll out to the left with fender on.

best
Tom:04biker:

OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
ok I have all the old moly off, well not all but certainly most, geesh what a dirty job. I'm certain I have it 99% cleaner than a shop would do if I were paying them to install a new rear wheel.

I didn't take the oring off, because I don't have a replacement if something happened to it (stretched, nicked etc) and I think I'll have to wait on removing that ring too Joe until next time I do the job. The bike only has 8,100 miles and the other bearings felt fine so I'll check that last bearing next time I replace the rear tire (at 16-20,000 miles). I'll pick up some snap ring pliars in the mean time so that I can do it right.

In the next few days my Honda Moly 60 will be in at the dealer and I can start putting this back together. Maybe by the weekend.

Y'all have been a fountain of good info. Appreciate it.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'm sure you'll be fine.. most bikes that have bearing issues are 2 or 3 tire changes into the bike so if it were me I wouldn't worry about it but definitely check the next time.

You now have the skills to do pretty much anything on the ST.. just patience and some guidance and you'll be fine. Bravo.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I've found one of those stiff brushes you can get at a bicycle shop for cleaning derailers works well.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
ok I have all the old moly off, well not all but certainly most, geesh what a dirty job. I'm certain I have it 99% cleaner than a shop would do if I were paying them to install a new rear wheel.

I didn't take the oring off, because I don't have a replacement if something happened to it (stretched, nicked etc) and I think I'll have to wait on removing that ring too Joe until next time I do the job. The bike only has 8,100 miles and the other bearings felt fine so I'll check that last bearing next time I replace the rear tire (at 16-20,000 miles). I'll pick up some snap ring pliars in the mean time so that I can do it right.

In the next few days my Honda Moly 60 will be in at the dealer and I can start putting this back together. Maybe by the weekend.

Y'all have been a fountain of good info. Appreciate it.

Use rubber gloves and a tooth brush to reapply the molly. I will be doing this tonight on my wheel. Got my tire mounted today. If you would like some pic's let me know which ones, of what procedure. If you are careful you could use a small screwdriver to dislodge the large snap ring. And carefully work the ring out of the grove. I have done it that way, but one must be careful not to bend the ring. Reinstall in reverse. I will try and take some pic for you tonight.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Use rubber gloves and a tooth brush to reapply the molly. I will be doing this tonight on my wheel. Got my tire mounted today. If you would like some pic's let me know which ones, of what procedure. If you are careful you could use a small screwdriver to dislodge the large snap ring. And carefully work the ring out of the grove. I have done it that way, but one must be careful not to bend the ring. Reinstall in reverse. I will try and take some pic for you tonight.
Please do Chuck, there are others that would like to see that and I didn't do it the last time I had the wheel off.. doh!

OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
any and all pics always welcomed by me and I'm sure by others as well

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Checking your Flange Drive Bearings on your ST1300

Here is a pictorial for checking your Flange Drive Bearings on your ST1300.

Photo 1 Ice pick method to remove large Snap Ring.

Photo 2 Screwdriver method to remove large Snap Ring.

Photo 3 Snap Ring pliers is the preferred method for removal.

Photo 4 Carefully work ring out of grove. Do not force or bend.

Photo 5 Snap ring removed

Photo 6 Clean off spline with rag.

Photo 7 Lay wheel over about 2 inched above floor and gently drop on floor. Flange assy will come out.

Photo 8 Flange assy out of wheel, laying on floor.

Photo 9 Flange assy with rubber drive cushions

Photo 10 Check bearing by turning with your finger. Should be smooth turning.

Photo 11 Check other side the same way.

Photo 12 Inspect O-ring on Wheel.

Photo 13 Inspect O-ring on Flange.

Photo 14 Inspect rubber drive cushions

Photo 15 apply Honda Molly to wheel bearing face.

Photo 16 install Rubber drive cushions in wheel

Photo 17 Lay wheel in your lap and install Drive Flange into wheel.

Photo 18 Install snap ring into grove in wheel.

Photo 19 Inspect and make sure snap ring is in grove all around wheel

Photo 20 apply Honda Molly to Flange Splines in preparation for reinstallation of wheel on to rear drive.

Photo's 10 thru 20 are in the next post.

Last edited:

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Checking your Flange Drive Bearings on your ST1300

Post two: continuation of photos 10 thru 20 of drive Flange bearing check.

This whole procedure takes about 15 to 20 min. to do. It is well worth the piece of mind. My bearings were good this time. Next time if they are bad I will do a bearing replacement episode.

Last edited:

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Joe, I was going to put these in the ST1300 Tech forum but it said I did not have access authorization ?????

Last edited:
OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Excellent series of pics Chuck.

Looking forward to the next installment

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
If you carefully smack the right muffler with a ball peen hammer where the axle touchs it when you pull the axle out before pushing the muffler down, you never have to do that step again cause the dent you put in the bottom of the muffler will allow the axle to come out without all that loosening of the muffler bolts etc. And the dent in the bottom of the muffler is not noticeable when you're standing up. If you lay down next to the bike you may see the dent. The shop in ND that did my rear tire hit my muffler at least 3 times before they got the axle out and I didn't know it until I changed the tire when I got home!!
Mac, is that what caused all yur electrical problems later on? Ya ought'a sue the ba$stards!! :D

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Joe, I was going to put these in the ST1300 Tech forum but it said I did not have access authorization ?????
I'll check the permissions. Were you trying the tech or the articles sections? Only we can move stuff to the article sections.

okmurdog

Will Ride for Pie
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
Chuck - great job on the pics. I will be doing this same procedure on my bike soon, nice to have the pictorial

Top Bottom