Article [13] ST1300 - Flange Bearing Inspection

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Checking your Drive Flange Bearings on your ST1300
Here is a pictorial for checking your Drive Flange Bearings on your ST1300.

Photo 1 Ice pick method to remove large Snap Ring.

Photo 2 Screwdriver method to remove large Snap Ring.

Photo 3 Snap Ring pliers is the preferred method for removal.

Photo 4 Carefully work ring out of grove. Do not force or bend.

Photo 5 Snap ring removed

Photo 6 Clean off spline with rag.

Photo 7 Lay wheel over about 2 inched above floor and gently drop on floor. Flange assy will come out.

Photo 8 Flange assy out of wheel, laying on floor.

Photo 9 Flange assy with rubber drive cushions

Photo 10 Check bearing by turning with your finger. Should be smooth turning. IMGP1427r.jpg

Photo 11 Check other side the same way.

Photo 12 Inspect O-ring on Wheel.

Photo 13 Inspect O-ring on Flange.

Photo 14 Inspect rubber drive cushions

Photo 15 apply Honda Molly to wheel bearing face.

Photo 16 install Rubber drive cushions in wheel

Photo 17 Lay wheel in your lap so as not to damage disk and install Drive Flange into wheel.

Photo 18 Install snap ring into grove in wheel.

Photo 19 Inspect and make sure snap ring is in grove all around wheel

Photo 20 apply Honda Molly to Flange Splines in preparation for reinstallation of wheel on to rear drive.

This whole procedure takes about 15 to 20 min. to do. It is well worth the piece of mind. My bearings were good this time. Next time if they are bad I will do a bearing replacement episode.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
04ST1300A
STOC #
Re: Checking your Flange Drive Bearings

Great job Chuck and thanks

--Bryan
04ST1300A
:04biker:

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #

Chuck, great pics and writeup...

Just on question, what's your total miles on this bike?

best
Tom Mac

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #

Chuck, great pics and writeup...

Just on question, what's your total miles on this bike?

best
Tom Mac
60k and I have changed the two Flange bearings 3 times. I now check them at every tire change.

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #

Chuck

In your caption for Pic 15 you said, apply Honda Molly to wheel bearing face....

Is that the correct grease for that application?

Thanks

Forest

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Chuck

In your caption for Pic 15 you said, apply Honda Molly to wheel bearing face....

Thanks

Forest
The manual doesn't state that's necessary.. but I can't see where it would hurt.

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #

Chuck

Thanks

Forest
On page 16-10 2003 Honda Service manual, about 1/3rd of the way down the manual states.... "Apply 3g of Molly disulf paste to the mating surface of the rear wheel hub end and final driven flange A."

This step should be before.... "Install the driven flange assembly to the right wheel hub."

The manual sequence is wrong. My thought is these pieces will have a slight bit of movement against them self as the rubber dampers flex. So the requirement for Molly. I hope this clears it up.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

On page 16-10 2003 Honda Service manual, about 1/3rd of the way down the manual states.... "Apply 3g of Molly disulf paste to the mating surface of the rear wheel hub end and final driven flange A."

This step should be before.... "Install the driven flange assembly to the right wheel hub."

The manual sequence is wrong. My thought is these pieces will have a slight bit of movement against them self as the rubber dampers flex. So the requirement for Molly. I hope this clears it up.
Thanks Chuck, that's page 16-11 on a 2003-2007 Service Manual. I think the confusion is the picture is of the assembled wheel.

Papa Ritch

Ritch Davis
Bike
09 SilverWing
STOC #

Great job. It nice to have member who can write and take pictures like this to help people like me who want to do our own work. THANK YOU Ritch :03biker:

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #

Are the Honda bearing remover shaft and bearing remover head tools needed for this job? Do you also need the driver, attachments, and pilot tools? Or do you improvise with something else?

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #

Are the Honda bearing remover shaft and bearing remover head tools needed for this job? Do you also need the driver, attachments, and pilot tools? Or do you improvise with something else?

For checking no.

For Changing, I improvise by using deep well sockets and a rubber mallet. Next time I have to change the bearings I will do a write up on changing them.

joesmoe3

Happy Home
STOC #

The initial post was most helpful!

FWIW, my bike has ~10,600 miles on it, and the bearing on the drive flange side was 'chunky'. Upon removal, (I had replacement bearings on hand for comparison) the outermost 6509 bearing was the culprit, and it clearly had experienced high heat.

Thank you.

By the way, I ordered the Honda tools for bearing removal, and it's the old adage -- with the right tools one can move mountains.

They weren't expensive, so the peace of mind was worth it in my case.

Last edited:

RCS

The initial post was most helpful!

FWIW, my bike has ~10,600 miles on it, and the bearing on the drive flange side was 'chunky'. Upon removal, (I had replacement bearings on hand for comparison) the outermost 6509 bearing was the culprit, and it clearly had experienced high heat.

Thank you.

By the way, I ordered the Honda tools for bearing removal, and it's the old adage -- with the right tools one can move mountains.

They weren't expensive, so the peace of mind was worth it in my case.
+1. My bike had 11,800 miles on it. I can't remember whether it was the inner or outer of the two Final Drive Flange Bearings that was burn't/toasted - probably from experiencing high heat. I also ordered the special tools and should have them in 4 weeks since they are on backorder.

RCS

Right tools? The rear bearings are simple to replace.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55014
Joe:

You are absolutely right. No special tools are needed. I did read your terrific thread before doing mine. I was able to pop out "Collar A" by putting the axle through the Collar and tapping it only once lightly with a rubber mallet.

To reinstall the bearings I didn't have a large enough socket so I used the old bearings and a pipe to keep it centered.

Given that an imperfect insertion of new bearings could be the cause of the problem, I wanted to have the right tools on hand for the insertion of the bearings. I want to ensure they go in perfectly and in prestine condition. Plus I wanted the tools to remove the other wheel bearings too since I know I'll be doing lots of highway miles on this ST.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Joe:

You are absolutely right. No special tools are needed. I did read your terrific thread before doing mine. I was able to pop out "Collar A" by putting the axle through the Collar and tapping it only once lightly with a rubber mallet.

To reinstall the bearings I didn't have a large enough socket so I used the old bearings and a pipe to keep it centered.

Given that an imperfect insertion of new bearings could be the cause of the problem, I wanted to have the right tools on hand for the insertion of the bearings. I want to ensure they go in perfectly and in prestine condition. Plus I wanted the tools to remove the other wheel bearings too since I know I'll be doing lots of highway miles on this ST.
I understand completely. So far, mine have looked great at every tire change since. I've put 10,000 additional miles on them.

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #

Just ordered 10 Bearings....$29.95 vs. 2@5.95=$11.90

Anyone need a spare set? $10 Shipped to the US..Once I receive them..

Just received my bearing order today... I now have 10ea 6905-2RS bearings...on hand :D

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy

Just received my bearing order today... I now have 10ea 6905-2RS bearings...on hand :D
If you still have a set. I will get them from you at TexSTOC. I just checked mine last week. No problems yet. Would like to have a set on hand though.

Top Bottom