Article [13] ST1300 - Flange Bearing Inspection

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Re: Checking your Flange Drive Bearings

Forgot to mention. Thanks again Chuck! Another job well done!! We will miss you! When you move to Colorado.

Bike
07 ST1300
What are the noticeable symptoms of this flange bearing that would prompt you to inspect them? After my last tire change, i now notice a low-pitched humming sound when coming to a slow roll and stop. Thanks!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
What are the noticeable symptoms of this flange bearing that would prompt you to inspect them? After my last tire change, i now notice a low-pitched humming sound when coming to a slow roll and stop. Thanks!
You should inspect them at each tire change. You may just have a very slight notchy feeling and that's enough to replace them. If your tire-guy isn't doing this, take the wheel off yourself and check. They are fairly easy to replace:
Flange Bearing Replacement Article

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
better make sure its not your back brake pads dragging... they make a hum sound as well !

I need to change mine out probably for my next years maintenance... 92K and I havent replaced them, you still got some Khris ?

Last edited:
Bike
07 ST1300
As a matter of fact, when I had my tires replaced they also put new rear brake pads in. The braking seems to work okay, but there may be something related to that work that is producing this low-pitched hum when coming to a slow-roll stop. The mechanic did take it for a test ride after I complained about this, but he was wearing a full faced helmet and may not have heard what I was hearing. I use a flip-up helmet and can hear the sound easily with the helmet in the up position. Weird...

Bike
2005 ST1300
I know this is a very old thread but since it is in the Article section I would like to inquire about the pictures. They seem to be missing these days. Can someone relink those pictures please.

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #

JimS

Today is a Good Day to Ride
Bike
'06
STOC #
Why do you need to remove the flange just to inspect them? I stick my finger in the flange side while on the rim and can spin and feel the bearings. What is the difference?
Thanks for the help.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Why do you need to remove the flange just to inspect them? I stick my finger in the flange side while on the rim and can spin and feel the bearings. What is the difference?
Thanks for the help.
You don't necessarily have to remove the flange. I do like you do. If anything unusual is felt then remove and check to figure out where the bad bearing is located.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
You will remove the flange every time after the first time you remove the collar and find bits and pieces of the inner flange bearing under the collar. The collar rides inside both bearings and the inner one is usually the one that comes apart. Turning the collar from the outside it still feels good because the outer bearing supports the collar after the inner one disintegrates.

Bike
'03 ST1300 ABS
hi guys, I just removed my rear wheel to replace the tire. Noticed the flange has some play inside the rim. Is that normal ?
will check the bearings when I get the wheels back from the tire shop.. Just wanted to know if I need to worry about something bad ?

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
I believe what you are talking about is normal. The flange is held by the big o-ring on the outside and the rubber cushions on the inside, so that if you grab the splines and apply side pressure it will move against the rubber cushions.

JimS

Today is a Good Day to Ride
Bike
'06
STOC #
hi guys, I just removed my rear wheel to replace the tire. Noticed the flange has some play inside the rim. Is that normal ?
will check the bearings when I get the wheels back from the tire shop.. Just wanted to know if I need to worry about something bad ?
This is an old thread, but when I was going through the maintenance on my '06 last summer, I felt the same thing. Igofar recommended replacing the dampers in the hub, and that tightened things up significantly. They're inexpensive and a quick and easy replacement.

Top Bottom