Article [13] ST1300 - Reinstalling Rear Wheel

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Installing rear wheel on a ST1300.

Disclaimer: This Photo essay is not a replacement for the service manual. My goal is to maybe enhance ones understanding of the service manual and make it a bit easer thru some of my pictures. At no time do I recommend relying solely on these photos and my instructions. As a wise old instructor once told me "RTFB square." Enjoy, good luck.

Photo 1. Clean old molly off of wheel hub and pumpkin splines.

Photo 2. Lube pumpkin splines with Honda Molly

Photo 3. Lube wheel hub with Honda Molly ( be some what liberal but don't over do)

Photo 4. Install wheel into pumpkin making sure wheel splines mate with pumpkin splines. Might take a couple of try's to get them to slide in.

Photo 5. Clean axle

Photo 6. Grease axle with axle grease. DO NOT use Molly for this.

Photo 7. Slide axle into pumpkin side and stop before axle exits wheel on left side. Axle should slide with only hand force. DO NOT use excessive force. Might have to jiggle wheel a bit.

Photo 8. Inspect brake pads at this point and make sure there is enough space between pads to install caliper onto disk.

Photo 9. Work caliper on to Disk and align axle hole, and hand push axle the rest of the way through. Do not over force.

Photo 10. Honda says to replace Caliper Stopper bolt, because of the lock tight from the factory. I use the same bolt after I clean the old lock tight off and reapply a new coat of red lock tight. Works for me. You make your choice.

Photo 11. Apply a couple of drops of red lock tight to caliper stopper bolt.

Photo 12. Install caliper stopper bolt.

Photo 13. Set torque wrench to 51 ft lbs. (If you are going to do maint. on your bike please get a descent torque wrench)

Photo 14. Access the caliper stopper bolt forward of the muffler above the cat converter, and tighten to 51 ft lbs.

Photo 15. Install axle nut.

Photo 16. Using a 27 mm 6 point socket for tightening axle nut. IMGP1457r.jpg

Photo 17. Set torque to 80 ft lbs and tighten axle nut to 80 ft lbs.

Photo 18. Re-install right exhaust IMGP1459r.jpg

Photo 19. Re-install lower rear fender

Photo 20. Job complete, go test ride. IMGP1462r.jpg

Now I am going riding, while you all reinstall your rear wheel. Mine is done.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
2005 ST1300
Re: Reinstalling rear wheel ST1300

Great Pics! Thanks for the writeup.

BTW: Is that a tub in the background of the last pic? I see tiles on the wall?

And that bike station setup is da bomb!

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour

Thanks Chuck. Great enhancement to the manual.

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #

Great Pics! Thanks for the writeup.

BTW: Is that a tub in the background of the last pic? I see tiles on the wall?

And that bike station setup is da bomb!

It is a utility sink with a tile back splash that I installed in the garage. Best 150 dollars that I ever spent. No need to piss off the wife washing dirty hands / parts etc in her kitchen sink.
The next best 250 dollars spent, was on the bike lift.

Bike
2003-ST1300A

A picture is worth a thousand words... imagine 20!

Re:The next best 250 dollars spent, was on the bike lift.

Can you expand a bit on the bike lift!? What brand is it, where did you get it? Can you provide a link as to where we could find out more about it.

Thanks,
Claude

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #

The lift is a Harbor Freight, bought at Harbor freight tool store for about 350 dollars now. Do a google search for there web site. Should be under there lift section.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #

Hey, Chuck!

Thanks for the time and effort to put this together. The pix really help. Nicely done.

John

deanrd

06 ST1300a
Bike
06 ST1300a
Re: ST1300-Reinstalling Rear Wheel

Just the info I was looking for! Awesome and thanx for taking the time to put this together.

I'm jealous of your garage setup!

Dean

Chuck...need some help mate if possible. I am unable to torque the rear wheel nut to 80lb ft without the wheel then locking up..... if i torque it up the wheel moves across to the diff and catches on the plastic shield around the diff. i noticed at low speeed a clunking from th erear end.....sat the bike on the centre stand and ran it in 2nd gear only to hear it again...it sounded like a coin inside a tumble dryer!!! stripped the rear wheel of, bearings all ok but i did notice the spacer tube inside would wobble around making the same noise i heard...anyway, put it all back together again...but as i said if i torque the nut it pulls the wheel right over and locks it against the diff....PLEASE HELP IFYOU CAN

Bike
'89 Transalp
STOC #

Sure sounds like a missing or improperly installed spacer. I looked in the manual and there is a collar that goes in the left side of the wheel hub. Any chance that is missing or in wrong?
Rod:tools1:

Rod, Just been through it all again with the schematic. I have all parts in correct except no's 22 and 23 which state o ring. but cant see them doing much. Anyhow, the collar is in there.......the Honda Dealer is in agreeance but why when i torque it up it pulls across to th ediff that much that it fouls the plastic guard and i cannot freely spin the wheel...the bike will be going soon if i cant solve this........had enough of th edam thing already!!

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #

Chuck...need some help mate if possible. I am unable to torque the rear wheel nut to 80lb ft without the wheel then locking up..... if i torque it up the wheel moves across to the diff and catches on the plastic shield around the diff. i noticed at low speeed a clunking from th erear end.....sat the bike on the centre stand and ran it in 2nd gear only to hear it again...it sounded like a coin inside a tumble dryer!!! stripped the rear wheel of, bearings all ok but i did notice the spacer tube inside would wobble around making the same noise i heard...anyway, put it all back together again...but as i said if i torque the nut it pulls the wheel right over and locks it against the diff....PLEASE HELP IFYOU CAN
Did you go into the wheel and check the bearing for the drive flange? That is the next article, Other than that I agree with Old2wheeler, it has got to be one of the spacers. Check and make sure the spacer in the drive hub (diff) is seated properly. Sometimes if gets stuck. make sure it is not in back wards. Make sure you have the spacer on the left side of the wheel seated properly. Hard to diagnose with out seeing it. Good Luck, let me know what the solution was.

JimS

Today is a Good Day to Ride
Bike
'06
STOC #

I used denatured alcohol to clean the old paste out of the splines, when on the wheel portion, I noticed what appears to be an O ring underneath the driven flange. It flashed through my mind that the alcohol could damage the ring. Should I be concerned that alcohol came into contact with it?

Also, I used blue loctite on both rear and front bolts instead of red. Again, should this be of concern? After the hassle I had removing the caliper bolt, I'm a little hesitant to use anything more severe.

Thanks.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

I used denatured alcohol to clean the old paste out of the splines, when on the wheel portion, I noticed what appears to be an O ring underneath the driven flange. It flashed through my mind that the alcohol could damage the ring. Should I be concerned that alcohol came into contact with it?

Also, I used blue loctite on both rear and front bolts instead of red. Again, should this be of concern? After the hassle I had removing the caliper bolt, I'm a little hesitant to use anything more severe.

Thanks.
The o-ring is probably fine, once it's installed and on the bike the moly that's on the splines will make it's way to the o-ring and probably keep it nice and greasy... I'd take a look at the o-ring the next time you do a tire change but if it were me, I wouldn't stress over it. If you see an unusual amount of moly on your wheel it might suggest the o-ring isn't doing it's job but I've never seen that.

Not sure what front/rear bolts you're talking about... axle bolts? I don't put loctite on anything.. I just torque to spec, there's usually some stuff left from the factory. Not saying you shouldn't, just saying I haven't... so, not sure if you are more right or I am more wrong.. LOL

Avtrician

Dont forget to lower the bike and unstrap it first before you ride. ( you forgot ot mention that...)

Top Bottom