Article [13] ST1300 - Reinstalling Rear Wheel

Bike
Honda ST 1300 A
This is awesome for us noobies! I have everything going back together and ground to a halt when reinstalling rear caliper I cant seem to get brakes open enough to slide over disc. Is there a trick to getting it back on? Any suggestions welcome. I did try to use a screwdrive, one end would open for the other to close.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
This is awesome for us noobies! I have everything going back together and ground to a halt when reinstalling rear caliper I cant seem to get brakes open enough to slide over disc. Is there a trick to getting it back on? Any suggestions welcome. I did try to use a screwdrive, one end would open for the other to close.
Sometimes you have to wiggle it some to get it over the disc... I've used the screwdriver many times to just get the pistons open a hair more which is all it takes. It helps if you can get a small piece of wood on between the pads on one end while using the screw driver on the other as the pistons will push in on one site as you're pushing the other side... Always remember to never touch your brakes between teh time you took the caliper off and putting it back on.

Bike
Honda ST 1300 A
Went out to attempt to work on the brake, but after being in the heat all day, I just could not do it. I taught the range part of MSF class this am and am DONE!

Bike
2006 Aprilia Capo
Great instructions, hope you don't mind, but I integrated the text and the pictures into a MS Word file and have the file saved to a Google Drive.

Link to Google Drive Files (viewing)

If not "kosher", I'll remove the link.

Thanks again for the extremely succinct and helpful write-ups.

Mike

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Great instructions, hope you don't mind, but I integrated the text and the pictures into a MS Word file and have the file saved to a Google Drive.

Link to Google Drive Files (viewing)

If not "kosher", I'll remove the link.

Thanks again for the extremely succinct and helpful write-ups.

Mike
No problem Mike. Just add my name to the credits and include this line the very end. "Now I am going riding, while you all reinstall your rear wheel. Mine is done." Thanks for marrying up my text to the pictures. Hope it has been a help to others as it was done about 5 years or so ago.

Bike
2006 Aprilia Capo
No problem Mike. Just add my name to the credits and include this line the very end. "Now I am going riding, while you all reinstall your rear wheel. Mine is done." Thanks for marrying up my text to the pictures. Hope it has been a help to others as it was done about 5 years or so ago.
Done.

Great source of info here.....thanks kindly. Just purchased an 07' and in the process of changing all the fluids as well as rear tire. Having this info was a god send. Nice to know that you are doing it correctly when you are working on your own ride.

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
What is best to clean old moly off pumpkin
I did mine a couple of days ago. I used contact cleaner and small bits of rags. I cut up small pieces as one wipe and I tossed it into the garbage.
Use latex or equivalent rubber gloves as this is messy.
So, spray a bit of cleaner onto the rag, now using a flat blade screwdriver (or similar tool), stuff the rag in between the gear teeth, rag becomes dirty, toss it and start all over again with a clean rag.
Also, I have heard of people using Q-Tips also.
The only thing I would of liked to do is rotate the gear teeth in the pumpkin. Not sure how to do this with the rear wheel off. I was thinking about making a star like tool, insert it inside the gear teeth to rotate it.
Another way of rotating the pumpkin gear teeth is:
Remove the final drive spline from the rear tire. Insert, the final drive spline into the pumpkin and rotate.
It easier to clean the teeth in the pumpkin if they are near Bottom Dead Center

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Re: Reinstalling rear wheel ST1300

Pictures have been reestablished in Post one for this installation of the ST1300 Rear wheel.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Old thread for sure but one correction I think necessary. Chuck says to use LocTite Red to secure the caliper stopper bolt.

Honda branded HondaBond Red in picture is removable at a later time with appropriate force but LocTite branded Red formula is not removable later without heat or inappropriate force on a steel bolt threaded into aluminum. I think most of use use the word Loctite as both a noun and a verb and most of us DIY'ers should know Loctite brand Blue formula (removable) is what to use on the stopper bolt if you don't have a tube/bottle of Honda Pro Chemical Red on hand.

Last edited:
Top Bottom