Article [11] ST1100 - Maintenance Schedule

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
I just added the ST1100 Maintenance Schedule.
Thanks for the maint schedule mellow! Concerning the timing belt, is there s time limit on it? No one seems to have one and cars seem to be at 7-10 years. Im certain the one in my 110” is original, which makes it 25 years old.
im pretty sure i already know the answer!
Thanks!

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
^^ You’re right, there is no service interval, time wise. I changed out mine a couple of years back as the bikes are so old at this time. You can make a case either way...the majority of people who changed out the belt said they looked as new (mine included on both bikes actually). It’s all a matter of risk mitigation. If you do nothing and your bike is at relatively low miles, you’re probably good for a bit. Then, you have to ask the question...’if I do this, am I going to make things worse?’
Once you’re that deep in the bike, there’s no going back. You must finish the job. A little daunting at first, but now I could do it again easily and now I’ve done 2 of them.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
^^ You’re right, there is no service interval, time wise. I changed out mine a couple of years back as the bikes are so old at this time. You can make a case either way...the majority of people who changed out the belt said they looked as new (mine included on both bikes actually). It’s all a matter of risk mitigation. If you do nothing and your bike is at relatively low miles, you’re probably good for a bit. Then, you have to ask the question...’if I do this, am I going to make things worse?’
Once you’re that deep in the bike, there’s no going back. You must finish the job. A little daunting at first, but now I could do it again easily and now I’ve done 2 of them.
Thanks! The bike has 25000 on it. And the risk concerns me.

Bike
VStrom 650
You do.......
Thanks for the maint schedule mellow! Concerning the timing belt, is there s time limit on it? No one seems to have one and cars seem to be at 7-10 years. Im certain the one in my 110” is original, which makes it 25 years old.
im pretty sure i already know the answer!
Thanks!
You do.........know the answer.
Its got to be due but they don't seem to be troublesome due to age, although I seem to remember someone had one go South not so long back.
Chances are at the low mileage it'll be fine. But if its going to keep you awake?
I don't think Honda ever envisaged these bikes would still be running after 25 years let alone there'd be some with just 25,000 miles on the clock.
Upt'North.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
54K on my 01. I'm not touching it until 100K. Never heard of a belt failure. Never heard of a belt in bad shape. They all look like new when they come out. Some will say I'm nuts. Maybe. But statistics are on my side. And used engines/bikes are cheap.....

RT

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
From what I understand, when timing belts go (unless there's a mechanical failure), it's usually from the teeth shearing off.

How about starting a thread asking about any belt failure, including age, mileage, OEM or replacement, brand if replacement, etc?

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
You do.......

You do.........know the answer.
Its got to be due but they don't seem to be troublesome due to age, although I seem to remember someone had one go South not so long back.
Chances are at the low mileage it'll be fine. But if its going to keep you awake?
I don't think Honda ever envisaged these bikes would still be running after 25 years let alone there'd be some with just 25,000 miles on the clock.
Upt'North.
Thank you. Guess I flip a coin or my charge card!

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I seem to remember someone had one go South not so long back.
I think there have been a couple of instances where the belt failed, but AFAIK it was always collateral damage from either the water pump or pulleys failing and taking the belt with them. I don't know that anyone has reported a simple belt failure, but I'm not claiming its never happened.

Bottom line to the OP, its a fairly safe bet to leave it alone based on what all of us who have changed them have seen.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
I think there have been a couple of instances where the belt failed, but AFAIK it was always collateral damage from either the water pump or pulleys failing and taking the belt with them. I don't know that anyone has reported a simple belt failure, but I'm not claiming its never happened.

Bottom line to the OP, its a fairly safe bet to leave it alone based on what all of us who have changed them have seen.
Thank you. Im not leaving boston for a tour until mid april and plan to make a decision before then, obviously. Until i bought the bike last spring, i'd be surprised if it ever even saw the rain. 13,300 at 24 yrs old? A garage queen indeed! The guy I bought it from was obsessive on the st.

Bike
2000 ST1100
I'll probably have 100K on my belt when my 2000 ST1100 becomes 25 years old. I'm not even thinking of inspecting/ replacing the belt as I now have only 75K on my ride. Maybe at 100K I might have a look see.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
The only Honda I’ve personally witnessed with a belt failure was my dad’s old Accord which had > 240K on it (the odometer was broken after that)...on the ORIGINAL belt (the rest of the car was pretty shot as well- he was kind of rough on cars). Your mileage may vary of course.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Durability of automotive parts has steadily improved since we ceded our auto industry to Japan over poor quality. That aside....my previous touring bikes were GL1000's. Rebuilt my first in 1991. I replaced the timing belt during the rebuilds and adhered to the replacement schedule thereafter....no obvious problems. Nine years ago, the newest belt...somewhere around 5000 miles on it...failed and damaged the left side valves. Three teeth (design mimicked gear teeth) had parted company from the rest of the belt. These were all from Honda. Spoke with the dealer about belts. He said the belts hadn't been made new for years at that point and had probably been sitting on some distributor's shelf since 1978-1988. Time was the culprit, not the miles.
I replaced the belt in my 1991 during the refurbishment I did (20 year garage queen, just 16000 miles...many of you have seen this tale before, sorry). The belt still looked new, compared with the replacement there was no obvious difference. My experience with the GL belts simply reinforced my intent to adhere with the Honda schedule.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Durability of automotive parts has steadily improved since we ceded our auto industry to Japan over poor quality. That aside....my previous touring bikes were GL1000's. Rebuilt my first in 1991. I replaced the timing belt during the rebuilds and adhered to the replacement schedule thereafter....no obvious problems. Nine years ago, the newest belt...somewhere around 5000 miles on it...failed and damaged the left side valves. Three teeth (design mimicked gear teeth) had parted company from the rest of the belt. These were all from Honda. Spoke with the dealer about belts. He said the belts hadn't been made new for years at that point and had probably been sitting on some distributor's shelf since 1978-1988. Time was the culprit, not the miles.
I replaced the belt in my 1991 during the refurbishment I did (20 year garage queen, just 16000 miles...many of you have seen this tale before, sorry). The belt still looked new, compared with the replacement there was no obvious difference. My experience with the GL belts simply reinforced my intent to adhere with the Honda schedule.
I seem to recall the early GL 1000 and GL1200's and your correct that there was proven failure if you did not change the belts at 40K? I think. Our ST1100 belts must be made of kryptonite because they seem to be more robust.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I seem to recall the early GL 1000 and GL1200's and your correct that there was proven failure if you did not change the belts at 40K? I think. Our ST1100 belts must be made of kryptonite because they seem to be more robust.
I seem to recall that the GW belts were the type with the square teeth design, but I never owned one so I'm not sure about that. I had a VW Scirocco that used that same square tooth belt design, and as the belt aged the teeth edges would crack and the entire tooth would fall off the main part of the belt. The ST1100 belt is a totally different design with U shaped teeth that appear to be more integral with the main part of the belt. On my old belt I couldn't find any evidence of cracking at the base of the teeth.

Top Bottom