Article Making Brake light spoiler Brake & Running light

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm running the spoiler LED with a running light and brake light function. The brake light power passes through a modulator so it's easier to differentiate between running and brake light operation. See the attach file for the cable harness I used to make this work. The brake light modulator is attached before this harness.

Attachments

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
I first seen this farkle in action at my first Moonshine run back in 2006. Trashman had it installed on his ST at the time and I thought that it worked nicely. When I picked up the top box spoiler about a month later I wired it up similarly.

I did note that the schematic calls out the use of two 330 ohm resistors but fails to neglect on how to wire them together, i.e., series or parallel. Wired in series would give you 660 ohms and wired in parallel would give you 165 ohms. I suspect that he intended you to wire them up in series since a 165 ohm resistance wouldn't provide enough of a voltage drop in order to get a good contrast between running lighting and braking lighting.

I ended up using one 470 ohm 2 watt resistor in my circuit. I prefer the contrast level that this resistance provides. If anyone wants the resistor I do have some spares lying around, just shoot me a PM.

Top Bottom