Conti Road Attack Life Report

Bike
VFR 840cc
STOC #
I just changed out a set of Continental Road Attacks on my '05 ST1300. Total miles: 5,300.
The Good: the first 4500 miles went well - tires were responsive in the turns, grip was good enough to scrape the pegs on dry roads and they didn't slide on wet roads. Tracking on steel grate bridges, scarified pavement and gravel roads was excellent. At the end, the rear tire had flattened in the center, so that no tread showed. The front profile was assymetric with pronounced wear on the left side, but little or no scalloping that I've encountered with Bridgestones.
The Bad: The last 800 miles were not fun- the bike wanted to stand up in the turns unless I muscled it over to nearly full lean. Mileage was disappointing - I had hoped to reach ~6500 miles before replacing, based on my experience with the same tires on my VFR.

Conclusion: It's time to try a dual compound tire to see if I can extend the mileage. 6500 would be good! Note, I ride on Macadam pavement 90% of the time, most of which has a coating of chip seal that's pretty abrasive, so there's no hope of achieving 10,000 miles that riders on smooth asphalt expect. I just mounted a set of Michelin Pilot Road dual compound tires. I hope they get me to the Pacific coast next spring!

Bike
06 St1300
I just changed out a set of Continental Road Attacks on my '05 ST1300. Total miles: 5,300.
The Good: the first 4500 miles went well - tires were responsive in the turns, grip was good enough to scrape the pegs on dry roads and they didn't slide on wet roads. Tracking on steel grate bridges, scarified pavement and gravel roads was excellent. At the end, the rear tire had flattened in the center, so that no tread showed. The front profile was assymetric with pronounced wear on the left side, but little or no scalloping that I've encountered with Bridgestones.
The Bad: The last 800 miles were not fun- the bike wanted to stand up in the turns unless I muscled it over to nearly full lean. Mileage was disappointing - I had hoped to reach ~6500 miles before replacing, based on my experience with the same tires on my VFR.

Conclusion: It's time to try a dual compound tire to see if I can extend the mileage. 6500 would be good! Note, I ride on Macadam pavement 90% of the time, most of which has a coating of chip seal that's pretty abrasive, so there's no hope of achieving 10,000 miles that riders on smooth asphalt expect. I just mounted a set of Michelin Pilot Road dual compound tires. I hope they get me to the Pacific coast next spring!
I would love to know how the PR2's do on the ST. I had them on my VFR and loved the confidence they gave me. Awesome in the Wet and Dry . It was like riding on rails, they allways gave great feedback. I cant give you a mileage report cause i only put 1k on them. Only negative i had with them is the "bad bearing( low roar)" like sound they produced. I had my frontend bearings checked twice cause of the noise...

My VFR had conti's on it when i got it as well. I didnt like them from day 1. I had mucho tread life left when i swapped to the PR2's( previous owner put 3k miles on them). Front tire cupped bad causing the bike to "Fall" into the turns. The front end allways felt like it was fighting to enter a turn or from falling over in it.. My experience with them on the VFR was very close to yours.

My ST has Metzlers on it now brand spanking new. Since i have only 600 miles on them the jury is still out on them. They came on the bike when i bought it with 2 whole miles on them..So far they seem to be decent, This is my first time owning a set of Metzlers. So far no odd behavior, they seem to grip pretty good.

Top Bottom