BMW K1300GT

Okay, I'm gonna get on my soapbox here...

[Rant On]

Why would you even consider buying this thing given the following:

1. An increasing number of final drive failures, not related to age or miles driven. Ken Meese lost this year's SPANK rally because of it; Jerry White lost his on the drive home from the same rally; a couple from Milwaukee lost theirs on a 48/10 ride; friend of mine lost his in CO on a vacation this year. OTOH, others have ridden 1000s of miles with no problems. Do you want to take the risk?

The worst part of the issue is that BMW Germany denies that there is any problem and without a lot of pressure will do nothing to make the owner whole financially.

2. A decreasing dealer network - 'nuff said.

3. Expensive service. You can't do much on the bike without voiding the warranty.

4. On top of #3 above, you will probably have problems attaching any non-OEM electrical stuff to it because of their CANBUS system.

5. Linked brakes and ABS have been a problem for BMW in the past and continue to be - touchy and erratic. Don't even think of trail braking in a corner.

6. What happens when you drop this expensive piece of plastic - no tip over wings - and the mirrors, saddlebags and side cowls take major hits, all probably VERY expensive?

Here on this forum, we talk and carp about oil, tires, gas mileage, etc., etc. but we do NOT appear to have major failures that leave people on the side of the road. Even the T-stat issue doesn't leave you stranded.

My '04 ST, Tigress, has 120,000 miles on it. She has been around/across the country 4 times in that period, from +20* to +110*. My dealer (I have a good one) installs tires for me (I buy them from him and he matches prices to SWMOTO,COM) and does the occasional valve check for me. Other than that, I change my own oil and filter (Rotella T and Pure One) What else is there to maintain?

Adding electrical stuff is easy - attach it, wire it, fuse it and forget about it. It works. No hassles.

No question that the 1200/1300 series does LOOK nice and I'm sure it a fine ride, but I'm looking for something that's gonna get me back home - reliably.

[Rant off]
Down boy down, Take a deep breath and count to ten.:p:

OP
OP
pepollock
Yes, beauty is in the... etc. but for this beholder, it's just ugly. Those slab-side panels that look like they don't fit together make me wonder what those guys are thinking. To paraphrase a Bike magazine piece on the R1200S, somebody at BMW must have said, "This thing is ugly even by our standards."
We don't know the price yet ($20K would be my guess) but look at the list of options and accessories. Heated grips not standard?

Also shown on Web Bike World is the new K1300S which takes contrived styling beyond awful. If form follows function, what is this thing?

OK, OK, I know some folks will like them. Hey, a few people bought Pontiac Aztecs. Dick Bettencourt used to say "There's an a** for every saddle." My sizeable rump will not sit on a K1300 anytime soon. Well, maybe for a test ride. Just to try it out, y'know?

STArnie13

R.I.P. - 2020/07/03
Rest In Peace
As far as service is concerned you may be able to do some but when my local dealer gave up the BMW franchise the service guys said the newer BMW's require the BMW computer to do almost anything. At that rate one might not be able to get around the dealer service rates.:03biker:

Bike
2006 ST1300

[Rant On]

1. An increasing number of final drive failures, not related to age or miles driven. Ken Meese lost this year's SPANK rally because of it; Jerry White lost his on the drive home from the same rally; a couple from Milwaukee lost theirs on a 48/10 ride; friend of mine lost his in CO on a vacation this year. OTOH, others have ridden 1000s of miles with no problems. Do you want to take the risk?

The worst part of the issue is that BMW Germany denies that there is any problem and without a lot of pressure will do nothing to make the owner whole financially.

3. Expensive service. You can't do much on the bike without voiding the warranty.

4. On top of #3 above, you will probably have problems attaching any non-OEM electrical stuff to it because of their CANBUS system.

5. Linked brakes and ABS have been a problem for BMW in the past and continue to be - touchy and erratic. Don't even think of trail braking in a corner.

6. What happens when you drop this expensive piece of plastic - no tip over wings - and the mirrors, saddlebags and side cowls take major hits, all probably VERY expensive?

Here on this forum, we talk and carp about oil, tires, gas mileage, etc., etc. but we do NOT appear to have major failures that leave people on the side of the road. Even the T-stat issue doesn't leave you stranded.

My '04 ST, Tigress, has 120,000 miles on it. She has been around/across the country 4 times in that period, from +20* to +110*. My dealer (I have a good one) installs tires for me (I buy them from him and he matches prices to SWMOTO,COM) and does the occasional valve check for me. Other than that, I change my own oil and filter (Rotella T and Pure One) What else is there to maintain?

Adding electrical stuff is easy - attach it, wire it, fuse it and forget about it. It works. No hassles.

No question that the 1200/1300 series does LOOK nice and I'm sure it a fine ride, but I'm looking for something that's gonna get me back home - reliably.

[Rant off]

:BDH::BDH::BDH::BDH:

LMAO! Some things never change. It's okay, you don't have to buy one.

Last edited:
Bike
2007 st1300
Sorry I don't see whats so great about the BMW. Test rode it before buying the ST . Didn't like anything about the bike. Power , Handling, not into all the work playing with the suspension settings. Besides my honda came with the 7 year warranty at no extra charge . Price , Value , Dependability , Handling , Power . You can tell I love my bike

FlexyRacer

Be Seeing You
Bike
2007 ST1300

[Rant On]

[Rant off]
You're right! I used to be a "rabid" BMW fan since my youth. BMW's arrogance has been growing for years. Both their cars and bikes are only refined as their poor customers reveal the defects. All the while, BMW denies the existence of any problems. I sold all my BMW cars and even though I was temporarily wooed by a new R1200RT, I could not forget the arrogance and denied quality control. People seem to be in love with the "romance" of having a BMW because when I was growing up, there were guys traveling the enitre world putting 200,000 miles on their old BMW cycles. I am thankful I bought a used 2006 ST1300 and will gladly endure the relatively minor flaws of the Honda. With the improvements I have installed, it is getting close to perfect for me.

I think that bike is Gorgeous!!! Like someone else said, too bad I can't afford it. They are really priced out of my budget.... until the kid gets out of school and the cars are paid for.... hmmm, I had always thought my retirement bike was going to be a Gold Wing, but just maybe the Beemer sport/tourer???

Things Honda should copy: The cruise control
the lower seat option (NO SHORT JOKES!!!)

Last edited:
Now that Honda is rapidly closing in on the price tag of the BMW's...Uh...What were they thinking? $17,199 for the exact same bike they've been selling since 02'? :well1: UH, OK? Don't get me wrong, I spend a lot of time of a Honda ST1300 and I think it's great bike! But are they freakin' serious??? $17,199!! That's nearly $18k after taxes, tag and title!! And the only thing that Honda has changed is the damn color, and they really didn't even do THAT this year! I think they just messed up on the dye...LOL! It's not like you're getting electronic cruise control, heated seat, heated grips and electronic suspension adjustment...Come on Honda...I could understand if that was the price tag hanging on the bar end of a ST1500...but a circa 2002 bike? No thanks...:nuts1:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Now that Honda is rapidly closing in on the price tag of the BMW's...Uh...What were they thinking? $17,199 for the exact same bike they've been selling since 02'? :well1: UH, OK? Don't get me wrong, I spend a lot of time of a Honda ST1300 and I think it's great bike! But are they freakin' serious??? $17,199!! That's nearly $18k after taxes, tag and title!! And the only thing that Honda has changed is the damn color, and they really didn't even do THAT this year! I think they just messed up on the dye...LOL! It's not like you're getting electronic cruise control, heated seat, heated grips and electronic suspension adjustment...Come on Honda...I could understand if that was the price tag hanging on the bar end of a ST1500...but a circa 2002 bike? No thanks...:nuts1:
No one really pays that much... most volume dealers are closer to the 14-15k number and usually the previous year model is being pushed out of warehouses at the 11-13k range.

Bike
2006 St1300
No one really pays that much... most volume dealers are closer to the 14-15k number and usually the previous year model is being pushed out of warehouses at the 11-13k range.
True, most buy a year old. I bought a two year old. Kind of like some two wheeled bottle of port or something. I'm concerned about the current / previous year sales numbers killing the prospect of future ST production... You don't sell at 66% for long and keep producing the same product... Some genius at Honda might do something we all don't like.

Then again it doesn't spontaneously combust so it may be OK.

Last edited:

Winged_STer

Gary Gray
Site Supporter
Bike
'20 BMW R1250GS Adv
2024 Miles
STOC #
I like the K1300GT. There. I said it. Am I now banished from future STOC events and postings? Hope not.

The ST is, for about half the money (YMMV), just as capable and probably more reliable. The economics of it put the BMW out of reach for me. Not ever owning a BMW I can't comment on the reliability but if it is close to that of the Honda, the smaller dealer network is not really an issue. I know a few independents that work on them too so (non-warranty) service is available. With a few exceptions, in my experience, Honda service quality is fair at best. Honda reliability is unparalleled. My :tc1:

My ST is staying for the foreseeable future.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
I have a friend that was touring on his GS in CO... his TB decided it loved CO more than TX and bailed... he did stop and retrieve it :D I told him at least it wasn't his final drive... BMW did replace the mounting bracket and TB... :rolleyes:
TB? Throttle Body? Tuberculosis? Tank Bang?

As others have said, styling is in the eye, etc., but I think this is hideous. Where the ST1300 is an integrated shape, with all the parts flowing into a harmonious whole, this looks like an assmblage of random pieces. No two lines meet in any close to harmony. It looks, to me, like something penned by an elementary school kid with a ruler while he should have been paying attention in math class. :p:

Then again, compared to the K1300R its a beauty.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/BMW-motorcycles/bmw-k-1300-r/

And BMW's still spending millions answering questions that no one asked. Their ultra expensive ESA, based on most of the reviews I've ridden works no better than a good manual suspension, and worse than many. Spend the same money on a Penske or Ohlin shock, and be done with it. Same with BMW's ever evolving front suspensions. The concepts are great, but in reality a good set of telescopic forks works as well or better.

This, on the other hand, is what a motorcycle should look like:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/triumph-motorcycles/bonneville-se/

This is one of their better looking models to me, but I had still rather
have something more reliable and a pocket full of cash....

It won't bother me a bit if they keep the Honda ST 1300's just like they are
for another 5 years...... this HP race is getting a little out of hand IMHO

Winged_STer

Gary Gray
Site Supporter
Bike
'20 BMW R1250GS Adv
2024 Miles
STOC #
It won't bother me a bit if they keep the Honda ST 1300's just like they are
for another 5 years...... this HP race is getting a little out of hand IMHO
The ST has more power than I need now. I remember when I thought the CB750 was huge and why would anyone need a bike that big. Times have changed.

Winged_STer

Gary Gray
Site Supporter
Bike
'20 BMW R1250GS Adv
2024 Miles
STOC #
........ back when I had a 29" waist :rolleyes:....
I don't think I evar had a 29" waist :eek:4: I've always had a Shrek like physique.

Granted when they came out I was only 10 and my sisters boyfriends were riding Bonneville's and Norton's. It looked huge to me then.

Top Bottom