Buell As a Police Bike? Are they kidding?

Bike
ST1300
Just saw the evening news here in Charlotte, NC. The Gastonia PD has accepted delivery of two Buells for street patrol. In the long run it will likely turn out to be a good deal because there are getting them on lease essentially for free - $1 per year per bike on a one year lease.

But, I've got to think the officers riding these things will be severely disappointed after a full shift or two. What do you guys think?

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I saw that too. They said they would be able to go off road, so I'm guessing the Ulysees(sp)?

OP
OP
LeeWonnacott
Bike
ST1300
The report did not mention the model.. it didn't look very large at all. It did appear to have some sort of cobbled up... square... saddlebag units... all of the PD options were literally hung on the frame from every conceivable spot. Looked like a disaster just sitting on the floor.

MotorSam

I get paid to do this!
Bike
ST1300PD issued
No not really...Depends upon what the main mission of their unit is...looks like a great hybrid to used over all types of terrain- and thats what it's built for. (When I see this bike I think of "Park Police". Yet if the primary use is speed enforcement, I don't know how they will hold up. Police motors take a thrashing in day to day use anyway.

I like the Buell, but I am over 6ft...so I would get tired quick on this puppy. I would say it looks like they are trying to fill the void the BMW 650 left.

MotorSam

I get paid to do this!
Bike
ST1300PD issued
The report did not mention the model.. it didn't look very large at all. It did appear to have some sort of cobbled up... square... saddlebag units... all of the PD options were literally hung on the frame from every conceivable spot. Looked like a disaster just sitting on the floor.
OH ya..and do you notice any saddlebag or engine guard protection? drop this one and it will leave a mark..on it and YOU:D

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I had a Uly and it was an awesome bike, it would make a great police bike.

You can ride over curbs, down stair and through rough streets without any issue.

As far as dropping it is second only to the ST it that regard as the puck costs $30 for a pair to replace.

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
As far as dropping it is second only to the ST it that regard as the puck costs $30 for a pair to replace.

I think the author was referencing the unprotected saddlebags. Looking at the above picture, drops will be expensive and messy. Looks like the siren bell hangs out there a ways too. And I don't see those aluminum wheels holding-up to curb hopping and stair descending.

Last edited:
Bike
v-rod
STOC #
I have had my Buell XB12XT droped twice with no damage at all, very small scratch at the bottom of the left side bag. Both of the drops was by the Neighbor boy while learning to ride.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
The Suzuki's were purchased back in October. They just announced 2 new HD's for a dollar a year lease. The HD's are the model that is pictured earlier in this thread.

ocho nueve

Wanted: Slipper clutch
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
At least in our neck of the woods, H-D has pulled their LE lease deal. Interesting some parts of the country are still benefitting from it.

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I think the author was referencing the unprotected saddlebags. Looking at the above picture, drops will be expensive and messy. Looks like the siren bell hangs out there a ways too. And I don't see those aluminum wheels holding-up to curb hopping and stair descending.
I know exactly what I am talking about since I had one and never had an issue. The author of the thread is guessing based upon what he "THINKS."

The Uly wheels are of a different design than the other Buell wheels. As far as the siren, it is within the impact zone of a tipover as are the bags, but since you have one you must know better, right?

Geez, if you look at an ST without knowing you would think that then bags would hit, but they don't do they??

I'm not sure why I tried to enlighten an obviously biased and hateful thread with facts.

Please continue on with the HD Bashing already in progress.

Bike
07 Buell XB12X
Just saw the evening news here in Charlotte, NC. The Gastonia PD has accepted delivery of two Buells for street patrol. In the long run it will likely turn out to be a good deal because there are getting them on lease essentially for free - $1 per year per bike on a one year lease.

But, I've got to think the officers riding these things will be severely disappointed after a full shift or two. What do you guys think?
I have no idea how the Uly will hold up as a police bike, but from a comfort, durability, and performance standpoint, I don't see any problem. I've had mine two seasons (late April - early November) now and have put ~15,000 miles on it. I use it to commute during the week and for fun on the weekends. The only thing I've done to mine in two years is standard maintenance and tires. The exception is I had to replace a turn signal and clutch lever after I dropped it. That set me back about $50. I've dropped mine a couple of times and the hand guards, bags, and frame pucks take the brunt.

It has a little over 6" of travel and is a blast to ride on dirt roads. It has a fairly short wheel base of 54" and steep geometry which makes it really easy to drop into turns. The twin has lots of torque and plenty of HP for most situations. It is tall (31.5") and very comfortable for me (5'11"). It has a neutral seating position that is all-day comfortable. I consider the stock seat to be comfortable, but I have heard others complain about it. I've ridden it in all weather conditions. It gets a bit cold when the temps drop below 50, but good riding gear takes care of that. My only complaints, and they are really nit-picking, are the heat on your right thigh and the cooling fan that continues to run after you shut the bike off.

As I said, I can't begin to comment on its ability as a police bike, but I think it would be fine.

STOC #
Unless I missed something, this whole thread is a moot point because those bikes are DRZ's or something like that. I had to laugh though because the officer who made the quote about being plenty fast for LEO's to chase down motorists obviously has not ridden a DRZ at speed (if that is indeed what it is.)

MotorSam

I get paid to do this!
Bike
ST1300PD issued
Yes I was refering to the lack of guards around the saddlebags and siren. I have not seen the police Uly in person so I made only an assuption based upon the picture. Pure speculation. :eek::

If you look at most police ST's its not the guards or bags that take the beating, it the plastic side skid plates on the lower fairing.

And the speed thing... I was refering to the rabbit starts and stops we do...that wears on any machine over time.

Yet bottomline I gather Buell has done thier research or they would not have offered the platform. I think its a nice looking motor and will certainly work out for agencies who need something versatile for on/off road enforcement.

Top Bottom