G2 Tamer Throttle Tube for the ST1300

I just got this in the mail last night, here are some
pics of the tube:
5022.jpg5023.jpg5024.jpg5021.jpg5020.jpg5019.jpg

G2 Tamer Throttle Tube Install Steps
  • Step 1
    Remove Bar End Weights - This pic is showing me removing the
    clutch side but but I was also installing some symtec heated grips so
    I was taking both sides off and the approach is the same.
    5017.jpg
    5016.jpg
  • Step 2
    Remove grips w/compressed air - this is so easy it's not even funny
    place the tip of the air tool between the bar and grip - bar and
    throttle sleeve on the throttle side - then cup your hand to keep
    air from coming out - when you hit the air and pull on the grip it
    will balloon out a little and pop right off. If you have lots of glue
    on the grip you might need to get a small thin and long screwdriver
    and help break the glue loose.
    Warning - if you have heated grips you might want to try a
    different method as ballooning the grips could cause the heating
    elements in the grips such as the OEM Honda heated grips to break
    and fail.

5015.jpg
    5014.jpg
    5013.jpg
  • Step 3
    Loosen/Remove Throttle Sleeve - There are two screws under
    the right-side switch housing that will need to be removed.
    5012.jpg
    Once the switch housing is loose, you can see the end of the
    throttle sleeve where the two throttle cables are attached.
    5011.jpg
    Now, the easiest thing to do is disconnect the upper cable first.
    You want to be careful as to not nick or damage the cable and
    have it break on you in the future. So, just use little effort when
    messing with the cable - don't force anything. A small screwdriver
    will allow you to position the cable to slide it out of the retention
    part of the throttle sleeve.

5010.jpg

5009.jpg

5008.jpg

Now that the upper cable is disconnected, you can rotate the sleeve
    counter-clockwise and the lower cable will be easier to disconnect.
    5007.jpg
    Now, just slide the OEM throttle sleeve off the handlebar.
    5006.jpg
  • Comparisons
    Just a couple comparison photos.

5004.jpg 5005.jpg
  • Step 4
    Install G2 Tamer Throttle Tube - I decided to clean the handlebar
    with some mineral spirits - the G2 doesn't need any lubrication, you
    just slide it on.
    5003.jpg
    5002.jpg
    5001.jpg
  • Step 5
    Reverse order - As with most things, installation will be the reverse of
    disassembly. Start with the cable retention holes at the 2 O'clock
    position and use the top hole which is the lower cable retention
    hole. Then, after the lower cable has been inserted, rotate the
    sleeve clockwise until the holes are back to where they were on
    the OEM sleeve.
    5000.jpg
    4999.jpg
    Now, you just need to install the top cable into the top cable
    retention hole and you're almost done - that small screwdriver
    will come in handy again.
    4998.jpg
    4997.jpg
    4996.jpg
  • Step 6
    Reattach right side switch housing - This housing is tricky so you
    will probably have to jiggle it a little but it will seat once you play
    around some. In case you forgot - the small screw goes towards
    the front of the bike.
    4995.jpg
    4994.jpg
  • Step 7
    Reinstall Grips/Bar End Weights - No pics here, apply grip glue
    to the G2 tube, then you can use an air compressor to install the
    grip in the similar manner used to remove it.
You're Done!

Evaluation:
Yes, as others here have stated, it does take the edge off the 'from a stop'
abruptness of the throttle. I think that for under $80 this is a good
addition to help make the ST1300 a smoother bike.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Re: G2 Tamer Throttle Tube Install

I'll have to try it out tomorrow or later tonight... still got some heated grips to put on.

Byron

STOC #

Joe,

I wish I'd seen your write-up before I installed mine tonight. I tried to remove the cables but was afraid of of damaging them. I then went under the tank and relaxed the cable as far as it would go and then was able to remove the cables.

I only went for a short test ride to ensure everything was back together and working. It does seem to allow more precise throttle control when going from closed butterflies to barely open and back the other way.

Tomorrows riding will tell more.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Joe,

I wish I'd seen your write-up before I installed mine tonight. I tried to remove the cables but was afraid of of damaging them. I then went under the tank and relaxed the cable as far as it would go and then was able to remove the cables.

I only went for a short test ride to ensure everything was back together and working. It does seem to allow more precise throttle control when going from closed butterflies to barely open and back the other way.

Tomorrows riding will tell more.
If you've already taken slack out of your cables previously, that may be the best option. I never have done that as I didn't have a lot of slack and there was enough to work with.

As stated in the first post, care should be given to not apply a lot of force and very little was actually needed so all it fine. If the cable has no give at all then I would suggest what you did. Mine was pretty easy.

Just a little addition to re-installing/assembling the housing...
It's worthwhile pencilling a line on the bar to indicate just where the housing is relative to the brake reservoir before dis-assembly.

More important... note where the top of the housing is relative to the horizontal.

Why? If you you look at the inside if the lower "half" of the housing you'll see shiny little peg which goes into a corresponding hole on the underside of the handle bar. Unless you get the peg in the hole, you haven't a prayer of getting the two halves to mate up.

Having reference marks before disassembly will save a lot of time and frustration. Don't ask me how I know!

Just finished installation this pm. Turbo Tom and the G2 have transformed the bikes low speed behaviour.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Just a little addition to re-installing/assembling the housing...
It's worthwhile pencilling a line on the bar to indicate just where the housing is relative to the brake reservoir before dis-assembly.

More important... note where the top of the housing is relative to the horizontal.

Why? If you you look at the inside if the lower "half" of the housing you'll see shiny little peg which goes into a corresponding hole on the underside of the handle bar. Unless you get the peg in the hole, you haven't a prayer of getting the two halves to mate up.

Having reference marks before disassembly will save a lot of time and frustration. Don't ask me how I know!

Just finished installation this pm. Turbo Tom and the G2 have transformed the bikes low speed behaviour.
Good tip thanks, I never even saw that when I did mine.. I just got lucky and fiddled with it 'til it fit.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #

I went for a 200 mile ride yesterday and really appreciated the G2.:04biker::bow1:

Bike
still deciding
STOC #

Too bad I didn't see this sooner. I installed mine today and it was very easy until I tried to reinstall the switch housing. Just couldn't get the housing to mate up until I looked closely and noticed the silver peg on the bottom half. I started looking and found the hole in the handlebar. Once I found this the housing mated perfectly in short order. The only other problem I had is the symtec heating element wouldn't stick anymore. I'm trying some glue and hopefully I'll be good to go tomorrow.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Too bad I didn't see this sooner. I installed mine today and it was very easy until I tried to reinstall the switch housing. Just couldn't get the housing to mate up until I looked closely and noticed the silver peg on the bottom half. I started looking and found the hole in the handlebar. Once I found this the housing mated perfectly in short order. The only other problem I had is the symtec heating element wouldn't stick anymore. I'm trying some glue and hopefully I'll be good to go tomorrow.
Put a few zip-ties on the heater elements overnight.. should allow it to hold better.

Bike
still deciding
STOC #

I managed to get the Symtec heater glued on. Now I find my Vista Cruise won't hold on the new aluminum tube. When I installed it several years ago I went to far in increasing the inside diameter, but it still managed to hold the plastic throttle tube if only barely. So I ordered a new Vista Cruise and will have to be careful not to overdo the modification this time.

I also noticed the BMW grip doesn't want to hold as well. I used alcohol which has worked in the past, but not this time. I'm going to try hairspray and see it that will hold the grip. Would adhesive spray work? Any other suggestions are welcome.

st13fundred

Blue:The color of which place?
Bike
'04 ST13A

On a related note, I added some photos (and wiring diagram) to another thread describing how to interface the Symtec elements to the factory Honda heated grip controller. I had to do this because I destroyed two Honda throttle-side heated grips trying to slide them over the G2. This is a good solution because you can use whatever grip you choose (I used the BMW grips) while retaining the Honda grip controller, and the G2.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58326&page=2

Matt

Bike
ST 1300A
STOC #

We are planning a group buy in the Netherlands gor the G2 as well.

Am I correct to say it is risky with original Honda heated grips?
Several dealers do not want to install th G2 with heated grips on their risk....

Second question: will a VISTA cruise control still work?
Photo attached.

Thanks for the info.

Attachments

jimlwright

Jim04ST

I've ruined two, yes two, pairs of Honda Heated grips and am now putting on the Symtec/BMW grips (ST13Fundred post and link above). I'm not the only one who has had this problem.

That said, others have had no problem getting the Honda heated grips on the Throttle tamer. The tamer is 1/32 greater in diameter that the OEM tube and the Honda grips are very rigid with little to no expansion capacity.

Pacificcoaster

former PC800 Pilot
Bike
Honda ST1300A
STOC #

I just purchased a G2 Throttle Tamer on Tuesday and it should be here on Thursay. When I spoke with Sam, the owner, he asked me to remind our members that the G2 was originally designed to work with the Throttlemeister cruise control. So, for furture reference, consider the Throttlemeister before a Vista or other types of manual cruise controls.

Just my 2 cents...

Pacificcoaster '07 Pan-American 13 "Lucky Stars"

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

I just purchased a G2 Throttle Tamer on Tuesday and it should be here on Thursay. When I spoke with Sam, the owner, he asked me to remind our members that the G2 was originally designed to work with the Throttlemeister cruise control. So, for furture reference, consider the Throttlemeister before a Vista or other types of manual cruise controls.

Just my 2 cents...

Pacificcoaster '07 Pan-American 13 "Lucky Stars"
That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.. it will work regardless of which one you have.. The 2nd version is supposed to have a longer tube to match the OEM tube as the 1st version had a shorter tube. So, the newer version makes installing a throttlemeister easier but since it now matches the OEM length, any aftermarket throttle lock/cruise control will still work.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway

Did anybody try to cut original throttle tube to the same shape as G2 Tamer?
I think it will do the same job for less $$$
I mark it in red:
It should work fine to reduce the throttle sensitivity at low speeds just like the Tamer does but something to keep in mind; if you don't build up the rest of the cam diameter a bit to compensate for the diameter lost where you shave it down, you may not be able to fully open the throttle butterflies before the throttle barrel hits the stop. The G2 takes this into account, thereby preserving WFO capability!

Bike
ST1300

It should work fine to reduce the throttle sensitivity at low speeds just like the Tamer does but something to keep in mind; if you don't build up the rest of the cam diameter a bit to compensate for the diameter lost where you shave it down, you may not be able to fully open the throttle butterflies before the throttle barrel hits the stop. The G2 takes this into account, thereby preserving WFO capability!
You maybe right, but I measure picture and didn?t see any difference in diameter except part that I mark in red?
Anyway I?d like somebody with skills and tools to make throttle pulley mod ? change the shape same way as G2 Tamer(there is more room for mod around throttle body than in throttle tube) and add attachment point for cruise control, plus I think original pulley spring is too strong.

Vitaliy

Top Bottom