Article [13] ST1300 - G2 Tamer Throttle Tube Install

FlexyRacer

Be Seeing You
Bike
2007 ST1300
Re: ST1300-G2 Tamer Throttle Tube Install

Count me as one of the fortunate folks who just installed both the G2 Throttle Tamer and the Hondaline Heated Grips and everything works. But I had my problems. After initially installing the G2, the heated grip for the throttle would not slide up all the way onto position on the G2, even after using "Lube and Glue". I then could not get the Honda heated grip off the G2.

After reading this thread a few times before, I was aware of the potential risk of destroying the Honda Heated grip. Can't resist a challenge of this type. I ended up removing the G2 with partially installed grip and soaking it in a bowl of hot water and fabric softener (slippery solution). This allowed some movement but not enough. The next day, I took it to my work bench and carefully combined use of an air hose with some in line leverage prying I devised. The grip slowly slid off. The inside of the grip looked undamaged except for a little rubber being roughed up. I smoothed out the rubber and turned my attention to the G2.

I used a flat file and smoothed down the knurled portion of the G2 and finished it off with some fine emery paper, just enough to take the excessive grab of the knurl off. I then air hosed the G2 and washed it thoroughly off along with the plastic bushings. I then reinstalled the G2 (after 2 times without any probs, I encountered the shiny silver peg alignment problem for a while). Once that was handled, I decided to hook up the grip harness to the quartet to insure that both grips still worked. They both got hot quickly. As a note, the ST has to be running for it to work, you cannot just turn on the ignition. Both grips heated quickly. The controller worked perfectly. Whew! I then re-installed the honda heated grip onto the G2 and it slid on easily with the Lube 'n Glue. I then installed the new bar ends and tried the grips one more time. Nice and hot. So, it is my recommendation that if you insist on using Hondaline Heated grips on a G2 throttle tamer, carefully file down the knurled surface of the G2 and the grip should slide on easily after that. I hope this will be a help to someone considering this combo.

Mark-

WilliGoat

Be willing to make decisions.
Bike
2011 C14
STOC #

Thanks for the article Joe. I put my Throttle Tamer on today with a little help from it.

TXRoadRash

FWDoc
Bike
2008 GL1800

OK - got my G2 Tamer in yesterday and am ready to do the install. One caveat: what grip glue to use? I've got a tube of Scott Grip Stick, but can't make out the instructions (price sticker on the back peeled them off). Is there a better glue solution?

PS: This really matters to me as the last time I went down on a motorcycle was when the throttle grip popped off in my hand, right after a local dealer installed Kury Iso-Grips on my Wing -- resulting in a broken foot and torn medial meniscus.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

OK - got my G2 Tamer in yesterday and am ready to do the install. One caveat: what grip glue to use? I've got a tube of Scott Grip Stick, but can't make out the instructions (price sticker on the back peeled them off). Is there a better glue solution?

PS: This really matters to me as the last time I went down on a motorcycle was when the throttle grip popped off in my hand, right after a local dealer installed Kury Iso-Grips on my Wing -- resulting in a broken foot and torn medial meniscus.
Those iso grips have pockets of air and so there's not as much surface area for those to adhere to.

Any grip glue should be fine.. I have some honda grip glue you are welcome to use if you want, just let me know and you can come over and get it.

TXRoadRash

FWDoc
Bike
2008 GL1800

Thanks Joe. I've got her up on the center stand right now draining motor and final drive oil (trying to get ready for a weekend ride).

BTW, while looking the G2 over, I noticed that the one that they sent me is labeled as a "Kawasaki Thottle Tamer" -- Part Number 17-0654. I'm going to call the G2 Ergonomics folks to verify this part before I go any further with the install.

TXRoadRash

FWDoc
Bike
2008 GL1800

Got hold of Sam at G2 (storms in the area took out power so no email or land line -- got his cell off the web) and he verified that they sent me the right part (marked F4 on the tube for the ST1300) but with the wrong paper insert. No biggie. He was very helpful in answering questions.

Following the steps in the article it was a 20 minute task. Very simple (hardest part was getting the upper throttle cable back into place -- gently).

In talking with Sam at G2 Ergonomics, he suggested hair spray in the place of grip glue. Who wudda thunk it? At any rate, every thing is back together, buttoned up, and ready for a ride. Thanks for the helpful article Joe.

Brent

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

No problem... Hairspray has been suggested before on the site, just never tried it myself.

Glad you got it installed.

Bike
'06 ST1300
Re: G2 Tamer Throttle Tube Install - HELP!!

If you've already taken slack out of your cables previously, that may be the best option. I never have done that as I didn't have a lot of slack and there was enough to work with.

As stated in the first post, care should be given to not apply a lot of force and very little was actually needed so all it fine. If the cable has no give at all then I would suggest what you did. Mine was pretty easy.
I'm just starting the install and do not have enough slack in the cables. I've worked them out of the lower clip in front of the tank, but am still missing a valuable 1/2" or so. (insert off color punch line here)

HELP!! It's 75 degrees and I've spousal approval to ride for a few hours!!
Thanks,

Tom

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Re: G2 Tamer Throttle Tube Install - HELP!!

I'm just starting the install and do not have enough slack in the cables. I've worked them out of the lower clip in front of the tank, but am still missing a valuable 1/2" or so. (insert off color punch line here)

HELP!! It's 75 degrees and I've spousal approval to ride for a few hours!!
Thanks,

Tom
Tom, if you still need more slack, you'll probably have to lift the tank and air box to get to the area where most remove slack from their cables.

Bike
'06 ST1300

Thanks Mellow!

(I was afraid that's what you say. Wish me luck - this will be my first trip "down under")

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Thanks Mellow!

(I was afraid that's what you say. Wish me luck - this will be my first trip "down under")
It's not difficult... just watch those screws at the bottom of the airbox, after you remove the little snorkels. Use a new screw driver and push down hard as many have stripped those.

Bike
'06 ST1300

should have read this before going back to it... second screw stripped...

I'll be on the ledge if you need me. It's the simplest projects that turn into the biggest nightmares. Any last words to talk me in? The check is in the mail BTW :bow1:

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

should have read this before going back to it... second screw stripped...

I'll be on the ledge if you need me. It's the simplest projects that turn into the biggest nightmares. Any last words to talk me in? The check is in the mail BTW :bow1:
Do you have an impact driver? That's about the best way to get the screw un-stuck... obviously, if it's really stripped you may need an extraction kit.. none of those are overly expensive and come in handy.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-29200-Hand-Impact-Tool/dp/B0002NYDRG

http://www.amazon.com/Grip-12-Screw-Extractor-Set/dp/B002Q6FVL4/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1287860059&sr=1-1

Bike
2005 ST1300PA
STOC #

I just installed the G2 and the BMW sport grips. Made the mistake of removing the cables in the opposite manner from what Mellow suggested which made it kind of tough. In addition when installing the new throttle tube I noticed my handle bar was flared slightly on the end which caused the new tube to stick in position. I pulled everything back off, filed the end of the bar to remove the high spots, and reinstalled. Now everything is working smoothly.

Yep, I like it a lot ..... thanks again guys

45 minutes, no blood no, 4 letter words, works as promised, excellent tutorial

didn't think this ride could get any better

Happy Holiday Everyone :)

Bike
1200RT, 1200GS
STOC #

I am interested in this procedure, but I know very little about the symptoms that led you all to install this. However, I have noticed that my throttle response seems kind of jerky and uneven...but I can't say for sure if this is just an inexperienced pilot or a mechanical deficiency in the throttle which this product might address.

So, what led you to replace the stock throttle assembly? What is the ride experience post installation of the G2 Throttle Tamer?

Thanks so much for your help here!

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

This eases that throttle jerk. I feel it did help some and was a positive thing. Not everyone feels this is needed and it wasn't a make or break deal for the bike to me, but did lesson that throttle response which was an overall more smooth action.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #

I installed one on my bike recently and it definitely helps. More than Ivan's FCE.

Bike
1200RT, 1200GS
STOC #

Question about installing it. I don't understand where the slack in the throttle cables comes from? In other words, aren't they installed in a way that all of the slack is out of them? This is the only part of the install that I can't visualize. Seems that some "find the slack" somehow while others are forced to find the cable's termination points, release the cable and then reinstall them post G2 install.

What am I missing?

Top Bottom