SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Re: ST1300-G2 Tamer Throttle Tube Install

I just removed the right handlebar then the throttle tube assembly from the handlebar and had all the slack I wanted.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Re: ST1300-G2 Tamer Throttle Tube Install

I just removed the right handlebar then the throttle tube assembly from the handlebar and had all the slack I wanted.
That's how I did it also. I did release the slack out at the adjuster though.

My G2 arrived today. Following Mellow's instructions, I'd have to say while the detail was great, the slack in my cables made this a little harder than I hoped. I got around it by loosening the slack on the throttle cable at the handle bar adjustment. It seemed to give me enough free play in the upper cable, because I ended up putting that one on first, and when rotating the tube counter clockwise as far as I could, I ended up with just enough slack to feed the holder into the slot. I was able to do all of this with my fingers alone. I just reglued the grip and will put my Kaoko cruise bar end on tomorrow.

I will have to reset the throttle play nut but, will ride it and see what adjustment needs to be made there after a short ride.

I'm hoping this G2 tube will help the abrupt on off feel of the bike.

Thanks for the detailed instructions. Had you not provided them, I doubt I'd have given this a try.

Those of you who do such fine documentation truly ought to get a kick back from the merchants.

Note: I found the cables almost too hard to remove from the plastic tube. So, because I had no plans to reinstall the plastic tube, I just used a pair of nose pliers and clipped off the plastic edges around the metal holder and the cables sprung out easily after they had no anchoring plastic. If you don't care about the plastic tube, this was a quick and dirty start to moving the project along.

Note 2: Curmudgeon's comment about the silver peg in the bottom cover marrying up to the hole in the handlebar was an observation worth paying attention to.

Post mortem observation on my G2 install from yesterday.

The G2 most definitely improves the on off abruptness. Combining the G2 with a significant reduction in throttle free play, has resolved my concerns about this matter. I'm satisfied. There's nothing that can resolve the native drive train lash. We know it's there, it's just the way it is. I'm really pleased with this farkle and would recommend it.

fiziks

I brake things.
Bike
2003 ST1300A
I am considering the G2. One question though, in the pictures it appears that the G2 tube is a little shorter than the stock. Will I need a different bar end to make up the difference?

BTW thanks for the tip on the Hondaline heated grip install... They are already installed on my bike, thus making the G2 install more "entertaining".

Oh, I saw a reference to "Turbo Tom". what is that and how does it help?

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I am considering the G2. One question though, in the pictures it appears that the G2 tube is a little shorter than the stock. Will I need a different bar end to make up the difference?

BTW thanks for the tip on the Hondaline heated grip install... They are already installed on my bike, thus making the G2 install more "entertaining".

I didn't change bar ends at all, I used the OEM ones. I can't remember it being shorter, might be the camera angle or it didn't matter, I think if it were longer it would have been an issue.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
He sold a fuel pressure regulator that increased the fuel pressure, which many of us used and thought it improved the 'dead spot'.

fiziks

I brake things.
Bike
2003 ST1300A
OK, thanks for that... did some googling and discovered that Turbo City has divested itself into more than one company/e-tailer and can no longer find the FPR on the TurboCity or child company web sites, but motorcyclegear.com has it for $129. But I haven't noticed a flat spot or surge in the 3500 to 4500 RPM range, which makes me wonder if my 2003 ST13 was one of the lucky unafflicted bikes, or if the previous owner might have installed one. I guess at some point I'll have to open her up and take a look.

BTW Mark, beautiful tag line.

Bike
'06 ST-1300
Re: G2 Tamer Throttle Tube Install

I am a new ST owner and new to the forum. My question is: will the G2 tamer help reduce tourque required to maintain throtle position. My throttle is tight, so much so that only and hour of riding becomes uncomfortable on the hand.

Suggestions please.

Thanks

NooB

You Can't Fix Stupid...
Bike
2010 ST1300A
I havent put more than a test ride on mine since the install on Wed's pm, but it definitely helps with the throttle "play" and seems to be more responsive. There arent many things with the ST that irk me, but the low speed throttle control is one that does.

Thanks for the extremely helpful instructions, as usual this site and the collective expertise here has proven invaluable.

Hopefully I'll put a few miles on her this weekend and report back.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #

I am a new ST owner and new to the forum. My question is: will the G2 tamer help reduce tourque required to maintain throtle position. My throttle is tight, so much so that only and hour of riding becomes uncomfortable on the hand.

Suggestions please.

Thanks
I had the same problem, I took someone else's advice and installed the "throttlemeister" which was easy to install, super high quality.
It will give you relief on those stretches when you are not in heavy traffic. Without this thing I could not take very long trips, also put on the MCL gen II highway footpegs which is another "pain relief" gotta have for long trips.

Bike
2004 ST 1300

I bought and installed throttle tamer.. it was made much easier because I read your directions. Went to Idaho mountains and rode 5 days. the throttle tamer work great.. It comes on much smother and your able to apply throttle press earlier in the corners. Making it easier carve the corners. My chicken strips were under 1/2 in. I don't understand why the factory didn't do the from the start..

jcc

live free and die old
Bike
2005 Honda ST

-i had to remove my G2 throttle tamer when i installed my honda heated grips (could not get the grips over the G2)... but i simply took a fine metal file and altered the oem throttle tube to be exactly like the G2... worked out great, smooth response as with the G2... wished i had never bought the G2,... although i did need it to copy the cable path groove. -it's a delicate procedure, it's plastic, so if you do it, take it slow, but it does work out fine. -Mellow's first & second comparison photos show the difference, note the groove that you have to cut out (photo 1), and the depth of it (photo 2). -i don't think i went quite as deep as the G2... i thought the plastic would get too thin, but i got it pretty close, and the throttle response is good.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
You may be able to sell your G2 and recoup some of your purchase price.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I put the G2 on all my bikes. And if the Honda Heated grips won't fit, I guess I'll be selling the heated grips I picked up last Spring. :D

In going one more step...I tried the grip puppies and also the Shark grips and really don't care for either. I'll be removing them from two of my bikes and putting on cruiser style thick foam grips, like the ones on my 2010. They just fit my hands better.

Last edited:
Bike
st1300
Just got done putting the tamer on my bike with Honda heated grips and was done in less than an hour. What I did is work the tube over pretty good with emery cloth and removed a lot of the knurl. I then cleaned the grips up good and and smeared a little KY jelly (don't ask) in the grip and on the tube and slid it right on. I then started the bike and ran it for a little while with the grips on high and the grips now feel solid and they work! If something go's sour I will report back.

Just noticed I dug this up out of the grave yard.

Last edited:
Bike
Honda ST1300
I have read lots of fantastic reviews here and the 1 question I have and have seen addressed is this. I LOVE how when you hit the throttle you MOVE!!! So my question is by installing this am I going to dramatically change my off the start response or is just a matter of a little more rotation on the wrist?

Thanks for the response.

Cheers,

Edward Weiland

imsddes

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 ST1300
STOC #
Hello fellow members.

I must say that I love this forum, and thank you for all the helpful information and advice.

I installed the G2 Throttle tamer onto my ST1300 on Good Friday last week.

Here are my thoughts on the install:

1. Getting the old grips off is a bear. I had trouble even with compressed air. I ended up rolling them off, kinda like removing ladies stockings, but not as pretty.

2. I had a heck of a time getting the upper cable reattached. I had luck by making a double loop of dental floss and
attaching it to the cable about a half inch from the knob at the end. That way I could fiddle with lining up the little knob with the hole with my fingers and
then pull on the looped dental floss with my thumb to pull the cable up to the slot. I had spent a frustrating hour first, then had lunch, came back with the dental
floss and had it together in a few minutes.

3. The spraying the inside of the grips (and grip puppies) with Hairspray did the trick. They went on easy-peasy.

Did it make a difference ?

Yes. The bike is a lot more civilized at low speed. I often practice low speed maneuvers in a parking lot, and it made the figure eights and u-turns way less hurky-jerky.
Then, I spent the day riding and really liked it. By the end of the day, I decided the bike should have come from the factory this way. It still flies with a quick twist,
but there is no longer that surprise acceleration.

I'm happy I spent the sixty-five dollars on it. ... and on to the next farkle.

Dan

Bike
2012 Honda ST1300
G2 Throttle Tamer

I bought a 2012 ST1300 a few weeks back and forgot how snatchy the throttle can be, even for a seasoned rider like myself.

After a search here on the forum, I came across the G2 Throttle Tamer.

I thought about trying to do the throttle tube cam modification to the stock unit, but decided to part with $65.00 (eBay) and give it a whirl.

I'm glad that I didn't try the modification because, during removal of the throttle cable ends (no, I didn't remove the tank/air cleaner cover), the side of the cam broke. Even though I was using the care & precision of a brain surgeon, the "thin" plastic snapped. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably just sacrifice (break) the plastic throttle cam from the get go. Installing the cables was much easier with the G2.

Since the G2 has a knurled surface, I was able to reinstall the grip with air and don't have any slip.

The total process took 15 minutes (5 of that was trying to remove the cables without damaging the plastic cam - which was an epic fail) and the G2 definitely solved the problem.

Thanks to all the Forum Members who pointed me in this direction!

Last edited:
Top Bottom