Article [13] ST1300 - Add On digital voltmeter

Bike
97 ST1100A
STOC #
Re: Add On digital voltmeter

I hope to be installing a meter on my 95 -1100 soon and since I'm trying to decide on location for install (dash @ headlight adjustment or on knee panel) I appreciate the info from all.

Any comments re pro/con of digital vs analog?

Dave

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #

Joe, looks like you're just using friction to hold the meter in?? If any are concerned about vibrations working it out of place, just put a dab of silicone or Goop sealer on the back side in a couple of places and it will stay there. I did that on my Wing when I had no room to use the metal bracket. This leaves it "removable" if that is ever necessary in future.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Joe, looks like you're just using friction to hold the meter in?? If any are concerned about vibrations working it out of place, just put a dab of silicone or Goop sealer on the back side in a couple of places and it will stay there. I did that on my Wing when I had no room to use the metal bracket. This leaves it "removable" if that is ever necessary in future.
You are correct... since the hole I originally made was too small, intentionally, I kept taking just a hair off until it was a very tight fit.. that way I wouldn't have to worry about the metal retainer. I can't imagine this thing coming out unless the hole was larger.. in which case your approach is a good one as well.

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #

Can this be found in blue (instead of red) and with a sensor to dim it some for night riding? :D
:cool:

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #

river

Comin' in hot
Bike
Blackie

Evaluation:
Others have commented this meter is not the most accurate meter
however, it is not far off. My main reason for getting it, other than
the cool look, is to see when typical readings change
providing me a warning that I may have electrical issues.
Mellow, would you say a bit more about it's accuracy? How did you check accuracy, and how accurate is it? Not much room between running voltage with and without farkles on.

Thanks...

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

I didn't check it. I used it as a base line knowing my system is in good shape... meaning.. I see 14.1 when running on the highway with no heated gear or bright lights. If that number drops I know there might be something amiss. It will drop if I turn on any other electrical items but that's to be expected. You can even watch it toggle from one number to another and back when the signal light is being used sometimes.

river

Comin' in hot
Bike
Blackie

I didn't check it. I used it as a base line knowing my system is in good shape... meaning.. I see 14.1 when running on the highway with no heated gear or bright lights. If that number drops I know there might be something amiss. It will drop if I turn on any other electrical items but that's to be expected. You can even watch it toggle from one number to another and back when the signal light is being used sometimes.
OK...thanks.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #

FWIW, I checked mine against two handhelds at the time I installed it, all read the same within 0.1 v. Nothing to worry about......

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

FWIW, I checked mine against two handhelds at the time I installed it, all read the same within 0.1 v. Nothing to worry about......
Good to know, thanks!

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #

I hope to be installing a meter on my 95 -1100 soon and since I'm trying to decide on location for install (dash @ headlight adjustment or on knee panel) I appreciate the info from all.

Any comments re pro/con of digital vs analog?

Dave
Dave this is how I mounted it on my 1100. Easy to see when I want but not in my face.

Attachments

Bike
97 ST1100A
STOC #

Nicholas -

thanx for the pics- is the display visible in bright light? Also where did you tie the meter in? On another post I had seen that someone had also put it on the right pocket and said the wire also served as a tether for the lid.

dave

river

Comin' in hot
Bike
Blackie

Anybody know the part number for this panel that the meter is mounted in? Just curious what it costs to replace it before I start drilling it for meter and powerlets. Can't find it in the fiche. I often can't find parts in the fiche.

Thanks.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #

Dave, my guess would be like Mellow said, the sun might make it harder to read but all it would take is a shadow and it would be readable. Having said that, I did the install on 01/01/09 and have not been able to ride in the sun do to our crappy weather.

I tied the voltmeter in with the cigarette lighter socket that I have in that pocket, and as of right now it is unswitched and hooked directly to the battery through a 20 amp fuse but I'll be putting a relay on that circuit in the near future.

You can see in the 2nd pic two small v shaped notches, they let the lid lay down flat.

Attachments

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #

Anybody know the part number for this panel that the meter is mounted in? Just curious what it costs to replace it before I start drilling it for meter and powerlets. Can't find it in the fiche. I often can't find parts in the fiche.

Thanks.
Looks to be this part

Under the "Cowl Pocket" section, part number 7 on the diagram "Pocket, L. Cowl" Honda part # 64235-MCS-G00 Cost @ Beaver Dam Honda $8.58 + shipping.

If that is the right part, lol

river

Comin' in hot
Bike
Blackie

Looks to be this part

Under the "Cowl Pocket" section, part number 7 on the diagram "Pocket, L. Cowl" Honda part # 64235-MCS-G00 Cost @ Beaver Dam Honda $8.58 + shipping.

If that is the right part, lol
Thanks, I was looking for cowl parts. That looks to be it, less than $10.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #

For the electrically challenged...

1. All that's required is that the voltmeter be connected to a switched circuit and grounded?

2. The voltmeter works by measuring how many volts are passing through it and that value will be the same everywhere within the bike's electrical system?

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #

For the electrically challenged...

1. All that's required is that the voltmeter be connected to a switched circuit and grounded?

2. The voltmeter works by measuring how many volts are passing through it and that value will be the same everywhere within the bike's electrical system?
Short answer 1-Yes. 2- Yes and No.
Long Answer Sort of but don't worry about it.

The voltmeter only has 2 connection and will estimate the voltage between them. I haven't hooked mine up yet but I've read they are not that accurate. Any time current flows there will be a voltage drop in the wiring. If you hooked it up to say a heavy drain item it will meaure the reduced voltage. The voltage you're probably most concerned about is at the battery terminals to measure state of charge but just look at it as a relative reading from where you hook the meter in. IOW voltage will be slightly different everywhere you measure it but will be proportional as the system voltage changes with total load and state of charge.

Last edited:

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #

Short answer 1-Yes. 2- Yes and No.
Long Answer Sort of but don't worry about it.

The voltmeter only has 2 connection and will estimate the voltage between them. I haven't hooked mine up yet but I've read they are not that accurate. Any time current flows there will be a voltage drop in the wiring. If you hooked it up to say a heavy drain item it will meaure the reduced voltage. The voltage you're probably most concerned about is at the battery terminals to measure state of charge but just look at it as a relative reading from where you hook the meter in. IOW voltage will be slightly different everywhere you measure it but will be proportional as the system voltage changes with total load and state of charge.
OK, so would a good place to hook up a voltmeter be the Fuzeblock which gets its feed straight from the battery, or should I just go with whatever looks convenient?

Top Bottom