Article [13] ST1300 - Add On digital voltmeter

Marshal_Mercer

Bumbleberry + Crumble = Yum!
Bike
Has new home
STOC #
Re: Add On digital voltmeter

Okie-Dokie: I swapped my 85/80 watt headlight bulbs for 60/55 watt +50s. The voltage read on the Datel meter rose by 0.4 volts. I have not ridden at night with the lower wattage bulbs, but I did notice how much longer the higher wattage bulbs are. I suspect that having the longer bulb was not a good thing for light-focusing. We'll see.

Also: I rode yesterday with an 88 degree air temp. The fans came on as before while sitting at a stop (on the freeway, of course). I am pretty sure that the voltage reading I saw was correct, and it mirrored what I saw when I thought that there was an meter error. I'll keep an eye on this as the temps go higher still, but I think that the meter is fine.

Marshal

Last edited:

Marshal_Mercer

Bike
Has new home
STOC #

<snip>

Also: I rode yesterday with an 88 degree air temp. The fans came on as before while sitting at a stop (on the freeway, of course). I am pretty sure that the voltage reading I saw was correct, and it mirrored what I saw when I thought that there was an meter error. I'll keep an eye on this as the temps go higher still, but I think that the meter is fine.

Marshal
Follow-up: My battery is shot! 11 volts is all that it could muster after sitting out over night. That the volt meter alerted me to the problem was neat.

Marshal

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

I had a meter-caused scare returning from SoCal last weekend. Flipped the switch (SPST toggle next to the meter) and it showed 11.4 VDC. In the dark! A hunnert miles from home!

Turned off all the farkled 'lectric gear, voltage rose to 12.3. Well that'll get me home, I guess. UGH! Stock lights still look plenty bright, tho, and don't drop when I hit the brake. Hmmmmmm.

Reached down and fiddled with that toggle and -Boom- 14.1 V.

Whew, dodged another bullet.

So, Friday mornng rode down the hill to get Solo to the interstate. While he was filling up and getting his receipt, I jumped back on to head home. NADA! Nothing! I pulled the side panel, detached the aux. fuse block and direct wired the stock wires to the battery. Zooom, good to go.

Don't know yet (yard work kept me busy this weekend) exactly what the problem is, but that meter reading may have been more real than I realized at the time. Short to ground somewhere in the aux. circuits.

More to follow.

Marshal_Mercer

Bike
Has new home
STOC #

I've added a relay and a momentary switch to the voltmeter circuit so that I can see the battery's voltage by itself, when the battery is under load with the key on, and the charging system when the engine is running.

The momentary switch was placed inside the right storage bin, just above where I have the Honda accessory cigar lighter mounted. It should be out of harm's way there. To check the battery, with the ignition switch off, press the momentary switch to obtain a reading. Otherwise, the meter reads when the ignition switch is active.

Please see the schematic below for wiring details, and for photos of the Momentary Button, Battery Voltage, and Alternator Voltage.

Marshal

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

VERY nice addition...

dteel

Dana Teel
Bike
ST1300ABS
STOC #

Short answer 1-Yes. 2- Yes and No.
Long Answer Sort of but don't worry about it.

The voltmeter only has 2 connection and will estimate the voltage between them. I haven't hooked mine up yet but I've read they are not that accurate. Any time current flows there will be a voltage drop in the wiring. If you hooked it up to say a heavy drain item it will meaure the reduced voltage. The voltage you're probably most concerned about is at the battery terminals to measure state of charge but just look at it as a relative reading from where you hook the meter in. IOW voltage will be slightly different everywhere you measure it but will be proportional as the system voltage changes with total load and state of charge.
Oh, good answer....hehe

The bottom line, is that we're not looking for accuracy (in that it reads 13.8V vice 13.7V) what matters is how it varies over time. If every day you hope on your scoot and it reads 14.0V every day, and then one day you hop on and it reads 13.8V, then a week later 13.5V. Then you might have a problem (assuming that all else is constant). The performance specifications that I've seen on most of these meters show them to be pretty accurate (+/- 5% or better).

dteel

Dana Teel
Bike
ST1300ABS
STOC #

I haven't put one on my ST yet but had one of these on my old VFR. It's LCD so you can always leave it on and it will not drain the battery. Not good for night driving though.
http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?SKU=572-0002&MPN=EMV1200
That's the one I have on my ST. Accuracy is listed on the datasheet as .2V or +/- 1 count. That's pretty accurate as far as I'm concerned.

I have mine mounted below the left faring pocket and attached to a switched source, so it is only operational when the bike is on. I suppose with it's low current draw, I could have hooked it up to an always on source, but I didn't even consider it.

It's not water proof and I've had some issues with rain and washing the bike, but it still works. Seems to me I only paid $24 for mine though.

RCS

Great discussion and how to article!

I was thinking of adding a digital voltmeter connected directly to the battery with a toggle switch located next to the meter. That way I could turn the meter on before starting the ST1300 and check voltage measure under load in addition to running voltage measure.

PopJack

Die young, after a long life.
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #

I'm wondering how these volt meters have held up since installation. Did everyone's work out OK or have any developed any issues?

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Mine has been fine. Only been 10 months though... I've been through tons of rain though if that helps.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #

My Voltmeter is A-OK. I got the knock off one too. Lots of rain and bike washes here too!

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #

Mine is working ok... And my comfort level with my battery/charging system is MUCH better.... :D
:cool:

Hey Mellow,

Thank you for all your help you are always on top of things and being new to the sight I really thank you.

Rich

JimSTer

Motorcycle "rider"!!
Bike
15 Yamaha FJ-09
STOC #

Hi Joe:

I used your article to install one of these on my 1100. I really like it and think it's one of the quickest and cheapest farkles you'll find. Plus it serves a great purpose.
Thanks for the great article. And thanks again for the great jacket. (In my avatar)

Jim

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

No problem guys... I'm pretty good and the simple easy stuff... LOL

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

I gotta get another one for the new bike. The one I put on STick last spring has worked fine so far. It's wired direct to the battery with a switch in line.

Bike
2010 NT700VA

Guys,
I've just ordered one of these (and a digital thermometer that is the same size) to put on my NT700V. I started riding on a GL650i Silverwing that had BIG digital displays of voltage, temperature, CB Channel (not that my CB on that bike worked, but channel indicator did), and maybe time. They were above the speedometer and tach, and were pretty prominent. But they didn't hurt my night vision (that's why they're red -- it doesn't effect night vision) and I always thought that people must look over when I went by at night and see all those red digital numbers and think: "Man, isn't that guy cool."

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #

Joe, last week I looked at the photos of your install and ordered a volt meter, today I went back to the install and the photos are gone, only the name of the image is there, this is since the new site. How do I open your photos ?

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Joe, last week I looked at the photos of your install and ordered a volt meter, today I went back to the install and the photos are gone, only the name of the image is there, this is since the new site. How do I open your photos ?
Sorry about that.. looks like those are lost.. I'll check to see if I have them elsewhere.

Top Bottom