Buell ULY

STOC #
Hi Everyone,
I am considering switching my 06 ST1300 for a Buell Ulysess as I am planning on touring Mexico. I love my ST on the pavment.... BUT.
I don't want to give up the power and handling on twisties. Will I be dissapointed. Does anyone own both? If so, which one gets more use?

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I had both. I sold my Uly. ;) That probably answers the question, we can discuss why all you want.

The bike is an absolute blast in the twisties and if you get a 2008 or later that doesn't require a TPS reset I might say go for it.

The bike doesn't like anything less than premium gas, so if you rail a bike like I do you'll get tired of the overheating and pinging. In all honesty I had a 2006 and the 2008 upgrades may have fixed this problem, but the dealer network.....SUCKS! Harley shops like Harleys, not Buells at all.

The other issue (not for me) is the height of the bike. Do not buy one without sitting on one at the very least.

Last edited:

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Regardless, they need a different dealer network before I would ever get a Buell again.

I did just pick up a 2008 Night Rod, absolutely amazing how the dealers are different, with the right bike.

Bike
07 Buell XB12X
I've got an '07 Uly and I love it! Like Rob said, it is an absolute blast in the twisties. It's a lot of fun on on dirt roads too. The '07 has a lower seat than the '06, but it's still pretty tall. The '08 XT is more of a sport tourer and is lower still. Go ride one. As far as dealers go, I think it's hit and miss. I've got a really good one close by.

Bike
2007 ST1300
Less total HP, but it weighs alot less too. Seat of the pants performance is similar. I had a buell S3T before stepping up to the ST1300. The Buell had just as much raw acceleration, I'd say. It was a LOT lighter and therefore more flickable...

Buell Uly was the #2 choice when I was shopping and ended up with the ST. I like the ST and I liked the Buell. I would certainly consider another buell again someday, and I actually still have a Buell Blast in my garage - my wifes leaner bike (at the moment).

Test ride one. Don't worry about dealerships. They are practically maintenence free - and even if a lot of Harley dealers don't service buells, you still have a huge dealer network - even a particular Harley dealer doesn't sell sell buells, they can order parts for you and get them overnight if you are on the road. I've seen good and bad. The best dealership experience I ever had - hands down (car, boat, bike - anything!) was at Danbury Harley Davidson Buell. The good Buell dealers will make you feel like you're riding a Bentley. The bad ones - well, just say - AArrrgh!! and they'll get you your ****. :p:

Wish I could own both. Good Luck.

PS) I met Erik Buell at Buell homecoming. He's awesome. :D

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
There's an 06 XR 650 Honda on the FOR SALE forum, brand new in Aurora, IL. That would make a great Baja bike, and keep the ST.

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I rode the XR1200 the other day and I have to say, it is a better Sport Touring bike than the Uly.

It has virtually no heat issues, no fan and it has a better steering lock. I also believe it would not have much issue off thee beaten path either. (Just like the Uly.)

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I was looking at the Uly at the Cleveland bike show. I was about to walk away when I was approached by a guy working the booth. He is one of the patent holders for that bike. He was speaking my language, all about the engineering and design.... I fell in love with it from the technical aspect. If I add to my stable, it is between the Uly and a V-STrom

CTbrit

John (a.k.a Token2)
I just bought an '09 Uly 12X. Had it a 5 weeks and put on ~1,300 miles...it is a fun bike to ride. The local HD/Buell dealer seems pretty good, no experience outside of that yet. Added the Touratech Cases which I like a lot...will post a pic. in the next day or so.

Still have my ST and would not part with it. I expect that I will use the ST for the long hauls where decent lengths of slab are involved as I find overall comfort and protection are better (obvious from the bike design I guess). Uly for commuting, shorter slab & longer non-slab hauls and when I want to wander onto forest roads, gravel etc ....I have ambitions to head to Prudhoe Bay at some point on the Uly...:drool1:

Bike
'99 ST11
Reading through here, I didnt notice anything about the heat issue on the Uly. My girlfriends brother had got one, and Id say it wouldn't run away from my ST11, but its a fun one in the black hills. But that back cylinder is just COOKING on a warm day.
Overall its a nice bike, but he has told me several times that he is wishing he took my advice on buying an ST.
Just what Ive seen! Hope it helps.

John

Last edited:
I, too, am considering a Buell xb12xt as well as an ST or R1200RT. I took the Buell out for an unsupervised 15 minute demo ride and loved the way it handled. I am torn because the Honda was really nice ride as well but not near as hooligan feeling as the Buell.

btw, I rented the R1200RT yesterday and plan on doing my summary report.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
THe thing I would be the most concerned about is the heat issue. I rode one a couple of years ago in the desert. On tight roads and in the heat the rear cylinder just cooks. It is also really annoying with the fan coming on all the time as it is noisy. If you are going during a hot time of year and plan on taking slow roads or some trails the heat would be a big issue. It is a fun bike however.

Dan

Top Bottom