Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
There is a location on the ST1300 that is great for a switched
power tap in case you just have a couple things to power or
you need a switched tap for your fuse box.

Below are the steps to get to the power location:

1. Remove left saddlebag and left side panel to expose the OEM fusebox

4116.jpg
  2. Press the side clip..​
    4115.jpg
  3. and it slides out​
    4114.jpg

4. It appears this thin fuse holder is on ABS Only bikes, for non-ABS bikes you'll tap into a different wire.​
    4113.jpg
  5. Tap into the RED wire w/GREEN stripe..​
    4112.jpg
  6. For Non-ABS bikes, you'll still tap into the red wire w/green strip that is assigned to your 15 A ACC circuit.​

This power tap will only be hot when the ignition key is in the ON or ACC positions. I used a posi-tap connector.​

Last edited:

Paul

Happy Saturday!
Site Supporter
Bike
08 ST13 05 VStrom 1K
STOC #
Re: Switched Power Tap

Hi Joe, The thin fuse block you refer to might be on the ABS version only. I just finished a switched power tap on my bike, and that fuse holder is not there. I tapped off the 10 amp fuse for the tail lights.
Paul:)

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Hi Joe, The thin fuse block you refer to might be on the ABS version only. I just finished a switched power tap on my bike, and that fuse holder is not there. I tapped off the 10 amp fuse for the tail lights.
Paul:)
Strange... however the same colored wire is there, it should be anyway, to tap into.

MileHigh

Juvenile delinquent
Bike
2006 ST
STOC #

Thanks, Mellow. It was easy, once I figured out my right from my left. :doh1:
Sometimes, Joe likes to sit on the handle bars facing backwards, posting YouTube videos of him squiding with his posse in a Walmart parking lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlvLeq7P-pI

That's why he got his lefty/righty confused.:p::crackup:crackup

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Can I run a aux outlet here to run a compressor if I need one? Thank you.
I don't see a problem with this as long as the compressor doesn't blow the fuse.

I installed a powerlet w/wiring and fuse direct to the battery on the right side of the bike so I could keep it hot all the time and use it for a compressor, heated gear or my battery tender.

Diesel

Keep the rubber side down!
Bike
2008-ST1300
STOC #

I've got an 08 without ABS. I do not have that thin fuse box on my bike. My question is what color of wire do I tap into to get switch power? Is it still the red wire with the green strip? If so I do not not have one. I have a green wire with a red strip is it the same thing?

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

I've got an 08 without ABS. I do not have that thin fuse box on my bike. My question is what color of wire do I tap into to get switch power? Is it still the red wire with the green strip? If so I do not not have one. I have a green wire with a red strip is it the same thing?
Put a circuit tester on it and see if it only has power with the bike in the on or Acc position. I don't know if that's the correct wire.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

At least on the 2005 there is a fuse labeled ACC/Turn 15A. It is hot when the key switch is ON or on ACC. I think it is red/white but whatever colors it is it is connected to the ACC/Turn fuse. I have no reason to believe it changes colors on ABS or Non ABS bikes or between years.

Diesel

Keep the rubber side down!
Bike
2008-ST1300
STOC #

Your suggestion on the ACC/TRN fuse worked just fine. Thanks for the help, Diesel.

Bike
'07 ST1300

I wired my stereo through the fuse block, the ignition must be on to power up the stereo ( it actually has two power connections, one direct, one through the ignitiion )

but gps, fuzzbuster, and aux lights direct on a new wire with a switch and a seperate fuse, off the battery, and placed all of these on a dash shelf. This way I know there is NO BATTERY DRAIN when I have this switch OFF. A GPS will continue to drain your battery if on an open circuit even when it is powered off, as will those little LED's that are power on indicators that are embedded in cigarette plug in DC power adapters, so watch out for that.......

will soon install an additional fuse block

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Mellow: How did you tap into the wire? I like your idea but a little concerned about cutting the original wire.
I used a posi-tap, they are great. www.easternbeaver.com has them but sometimes you can find them at walmart or auto parts places.

Ahhhh, I see that now that I look closer at the picture. I got some of these when I ordered Hyperlites but up here in the desolate north I have never seen these type of connectors until then. Hopefully I can find some here becasue they look a lot better than the snap-over types that are common.

Thank you

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Re: ST1300-Switched Power Tap

Surprised no one has mentioned adding an aux relay for farkles in this thread. The aux. fuse box from Eastern Beaver and other sources has it's own relay and ability to connect "always on" on switched power to several farkles. Worth the effort.

Late model 1100s have an extra 5-amp circuit behind the main fuse box that's perfect for powering the relay trigger. On lipSTick I've hooked directly to the battery thru a 14 ga. wire for power. It's the only extra lead off the battery.

I strongly suggest doing this for any heavy load (i.e. Lights, Grips, heated clothing.)

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Re: ST1300-Switched Power Tap

Surprised no one has mentioned adding an aux relay for farkles in this thread. The aux. fuse box from Eastern Beaver and other sources has it's own relay and ability to connect "always on" on switched power to several farkles. Worth the effort.

Late model 1100s have an extra 5-amp circuit behind the main fuse box that's perfect for powering the relay trigger. On lipSTick I've hooked directly to the battery thru a 14 ga. wire for power. It's the only extra lead off the battery.

I strongly suggest doing this for any heavy load (i.e. Lights, Grips, heated clothing.)
I sorta did, just not real clear:

"There is a location on the ST1300 that is great for a switched
power tap in case you just have a couple things to power or
you need a switched tap for your fuse box."

But, you could read that a couple different ways so, thanks for bringing it up.

Top Bottom