Article [13] ST1300 - Switched Power Tap

Bike
ST1300A
Re: ST1300-Switched Power Tap

So, do you reckon it's OK to connect the heated grips directly to the Red/green wire ? Or are you suggesting the r/g be used to switch a relay to power the grips ?

A Norris :confused::confused:

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

So, do you reckon it's OK to connect the heated grips directly to the Red/green wire ? Or are you suggesting the r/g be used to switch a relay to power the grips ?

A Norris :confused::confused:
I believe you would be okay connecting to the grips but I don't know for certain. I would suggest, getting a fuze block and putting that on the bike as that is the easiest way to handle adding additional accessories. You could also get the quartet harness but you'd have to remove the left side fairing to install it and then tap into the appropriate wire on that harness... I'm pretty sure, the oem honda connection on that harness for the heated grips is on the same circuit as that r/g wire but not 100%.

Bike
ST1300A

Thanks Joe,
Oh for a wiring diagram. I think I'll have to visit my friendly Honda Shop to see if they'll let me check theirs.
Might just be easier to go for the relayed system ... can only be safer in the longrun.

:)

Saint Joe

Joe
Bike
'12 ST1300A

I'm about to tie in my fuse block on my bike using this location, but the pics don't resize to anything larger than what they appear in the article when I click on the first pic and go through them.
Is this just me/my machine or something else???
No diff in Firefox or IE8.
I think I know pretty much what to do, but larger pics would always be nice!

Joe

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

I'm about to tie in my fuse block on my bike using this location, but the pics don't resize to anything larger than what they appear in the article when I click on the first pic and go through them.
Is this just me/my machine or something else???
No diff in Firefox or IE8.
I think I know pretty much what to do, but larger pics would always be nice!

Joe
Fixed

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #

Well, my '07 Non-ABS does not have that additional thin fuse holder.....

Any suggestion for switched power to my FuzeBlock?

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Well, my '07 Non-ABS does not have that additional thin fuse holder.....

Any suggestion for switched power to my FuzeBlock?
I believe you still have the wire though...

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

For Non-ABS bikes - Tankereng just sent me pics of the wire to tap into.

Attachments

Bike
2005 ST1300

:D The classic question -- take the red pill or the blue pill...you never know!

Well, for everyone else's benefit, the 12-18ga version that I found at NAPA works perfectly! I am pretty sure it is an 18ga. wire coming out of the fuse block.

I ran the wires up under the nose cone like you recommended and zip tied them to the wire bar I found in there. Then ran a pair of 14ga wire back to the fuse block and tapped into an existing ground-wire I ran for the power to the heli-bar for the negative ground.

:banr1: Thanks for your help on this and for everything you do on ST-Owners.com, Mellow! I can't tell you how much this site has helped me over time!!

Here's my new cockpit, ready just in time for my blastoff to San Diego next week!

Attachments

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Glad it worked for ya... if the site wasn't helpful, it wouldn't be worth much IMO. Lots of great members here helping out all the time.

Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800

Mellow, thank you for sharing this valuable information on the power tap. I searched this site to find how to actually route the GPS power wire from the handle mount to the power tap point at the left rear. I could not find anything. Can you help?

Do I take the left side faring off and run the wire to the back or do I left up the gas tank and run the wire above the air box?

Is it easier just to tap the GPS power supply into somewhere at the headlight? the head light cames on when the ignition key is turned on.
Kenny

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Mellow, thank you for sharing this valuable information on the power tap. I searched this site to find how to actually route the GPS wires from the handle mount to the power tap point at the left rear. I could not find anything. Can you help? Do I take the left side faring off and run the wires to the back or do I left up the gas tank and run the wire above the air box?
Kenny
If you lift the tank, you can see where you can route the wires between the frame and fairing, then behind the tank area to the rear of the bike. That's how I did it. Hope that helps.

Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800

Guys, thank you. that helps a lot. Now I'll find out for sure if the Heli Bar Riser III is in the way of lifting the gas tank or not.
Kenny

Bike
2007 ST1300A6

Thanks for this, I did the install today and it works like a charm. I connected my ZUMO 550, Inforad and heated gloves to it with room for more farkles in the future.

All ready to go touring Northern Germany on Friday!!!

:06biker:

Top Bottom