Article [13] ST1300 - Switched Power Tap

Bike
07 ST1300A
Re: ST1300-Switched Power Tap

Mellow, Do you think this red/green wire to the acc turn would be ok to wire a Corbin heated seat hot wire to???

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Mellow, Do you think this red/green wire to the acc turn would be ok to wire a Corbin heated seat hot wire to???
That's a pretty low-amp wire so I'm not sure that would be a good idea.. how many amps does the seat pull?

Bike
07 ST1300A

i was just looking at it and there is a red and white main wire running into that fuse block. do you think I could just tap into that one? The hot wire from the seat has a 10 amp fuse in it.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Corbin web site says 5 amps is what the seat pulls
l would use the one in the article then. Should work fine.

My reason for finding this was as a trigger to a relay on a fuse block. That fuse block would then power other items.

I think if it's just the seat you are concerned with, you should be fine.

Bike
07 ST1300A

I appreciate the help. Pretty handy with this stuff usually, just kinda leary on a $10,000 bike you know. Don't want to screw something up.:confused:

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #

A couple of years back when I bought a used Corbin for my '05, Corbin provided a power tap that you inserted into the ACC fuse, and basically put two fuses into it. One protects the original circuit, and the other your new circuit. It also came with a nylon rain cover because you have to leave the little cover on the fuse panel open. Of course, you should not put heavy loads on the original circuit that would exceed the wire capacity (install a fuse block or relayed circuit instead).
You can find these at automotive supply stores.....
http://www.cooperbussmann.com/images/49377357-4055-4945-a6a2-1e7bb04a08b9.JPG

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Re: Switched Power Tap

This looks easy enough to do, but I have a dumb question - is the point where the RED wire w/GREEN stripe is tapped into on the upstream or downstream side of the fuse? Which fuse does it come from (or go to)? It would be easy enough to find out after tapping into the wire, but I'd rather know (or be able to find out) before tapping into it. :confused:

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

This looks easy enough to do, but I have a dumb question - is the point where the RED wire w/GREEN stripe is tapped into on the upstream or downstream side of the fuse? Which fuse does it come from (or go to)? It would be easy enough to find out after tapping into the wire, but I'd rather know (or be able to find out) before tapping into it. :confused:
I don't honestly know. Any thing I have tapped into that will have it's own fuse but I understand what you're saying, you want to know which fuse could be the problem if there was an issue.

When I get some time after work today, I'll pull that fuse and see if my tap is still good.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #

I don't honestly know. Any thing I have tapped into that will have it's own fuse but I understand what you're saying, you want to know which fuse could be the problem if there was an issue.

When I get some time after work today, I'll pull that fuse and see if my tap is still good.
I never thought about it LOL. Just tapped it and fused a line to the relay coil. You could just pull the fuse and probe it. btw these multimeter probe tip adapters come in handy for that kind of thing.

Attachments

Bike
2006 ST1300

On a Non-ABS bike it comes from fuse "E" which is a 15 amp fuse.
On an ABS bike it comes from fuse "F" which is also a 15 amp fuse.
On both bikes the red wire w/green stripe is downstream of the fuse. On both bikes they are fed from the 65 amp main fuse. They provide power for the ACC at the ignition switch. Hope this helps.

Mark

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

On a Non-ABS bike it comes from fuse "E" which is a 15 amp fuse.
On an ABS bike it comes from fuse "F" which is also a 15 amp fuse.
On both bikes the red wire w/green stripe is downstream of the fuse. On both bikes they are fed from the 65 amp main fuse. They provide power for the ACC at the ignition switch. Hope this helps.

Mark
Thank you sir!

Bike
2007 ST1300A
Interesting thread. My 2007 St1300A does not have this circuit. Will find the red/green wire and test it with ACC on and ACC off.

Bike
2007 ST1300A
Aha! I found it - it has moved to the side and the text small and vertically aligned.
Off to get a decent posi-tap .....:CanFlag1:

STOC #
Can't begin to tell you how much time this saved me hooking up my Autocom tonight. It's threads like this that make this site invaluable. And friends like you all that make it fun.

Bike
2007 ST1300A
I'm happy to take all the credit for all the contributions I didn't make - but DITTO here ...

:slv11: :nuts1:

Hi Mellow,
Although I've managed to hook up my GPS on switched power quite easily on my St1100, I still consider myself as a big zero when it comes to electrical, which is why I find this thread quite useful. As far as my 1300 goes, I ran the wire (which I hooked up to a fuse) from the handlebars to the OEM fusebox and tapped it to the red/green wire. Quick and painless, thanks to your pics. Now here's my stupid question: where do I hook up the ground? I've read in the pas that green is always ground on Honda's, so do I hook up to anything that's green?

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Hi Mellow,
Although I've managed to hook up my GPS on switched power quite easily on my St1100, I still consider myself as a big zero when it comes to electrical, which is why I find this thread quite useful. As far as my 1300 goes, I ran the wire (which I hooked up to a fuse) from the handlebars to the OEM fusebox and tapped it to the red/green wire. Quick and painless, thanks to your pics. Now here's my stupid question: where do I hook up the ground? I've read in the pas that green is always ground on Honda's, so do I hook up to anything that's green?
I typically go to the battery - connection for a ground when I can.

STOC #
Hi Mellow,
Green is ground, but always bring it back to the battery if you can, That said, I have tapped some stuff into the Green Ground

Top Bottom