Recommend a packable cover?

Bike
ST1300A
I have the Dowco cover and couldn't be happier. It's top notch stuff. I've had it for probably four years and it has held up well.

AND it packs tight enough to put under my seat in that empty space back by the tail light so I always have it but it's not stealing valuable space in either her saddle bag (god forbid!) my saddle bag or the top box. It covers the bike from just under the front fairing to the top box and still tucks down around the under sides of the panniers. It's closest to the current weatherall model.

I like it a lot and always cover my bike when traveling. I figure it's part of my security drill. Keep it locked and covered ... that keeps the opportunity thieves away, ... and park next to a Harley, ... that keeps the serious thieves away!

Last edited:

ocho nueve

Wanted: Slipper clutch
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I have both the Nelson Rigg and the Dowco. I like them both and I don't think there is much of a difference between the two. They both pack down to about the same size (about the size of an airline pillow). The Dowco I have is an XL. I don't know the size of my Nelson Rigg.

Bike
'93 ST1100
Just received my Nelson Rigg UV2000 (XL) and the new Dowco Guardian UltraLite Plus (L).

The UV2000 now comes in a fanny pack.

The Dowco includes a zippered storage pouch as part of the cover, that can be used to store other things when cover is installed on bike. To use as storage for cover, simply turn the storage compartment inside out, and start stuffing cover into it. I didn't even fold it up, just shoved it in.

After installing both, then packing both, I prefer the Dowco.
Seems higher quality all the way around. Grommets, vents, straps, etc.
Dowco was also much easier to install and pack away.

The XL UV2000 seemed too tight for the ST and had to fight to get it on, then took a few tries to fold up small enough to fit into fanny pack storage. XL UV2000 will not fully cover panniers when topbox is installed. The Dowco seemed like it was custom made for the ST. Perfect fit on bike, and as stated before, stuffs right into storage bag on first try.

This on an ST1100 with tall windshield plus ST1300 Hondaline topbox.

edit: Just tested fit inside helmet. Either stored in their pouches will fit 100% inside my full face modular helmet.

Photo's:
(the tiles under rolled up covers are 12" so you can get an idea of size.)

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
river

river

Comin' in hot
Bike
Blackie
thanks for the very helpful report. seems a clear choice,
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
OP
river

river

Comin' in hot
Bike
Blackie
We cover the bike pretty much at every stop when we are leaving the bike for more than just a couple of minutes which is why the full cover on trips is a bit tedious. I'm thinking of getting the UV2k to use instead of the full cover just for that reason alone. It's much faster to throw on the bike than the full cover, especially when the wind is blowing.
ThatLs a good point. Do you cover it so much because of sun?
Posted via Mobile Device

Bike
1200RT, 1200GS
STOC #
Nelson Rigg UV2000
Just bought this half cover in XL. Fits my ST1300 great. It makes a great dust cover for the garage or a subtle "Keep Off" reminder for the hotel or event parking lot. The fit depends on having a top case installed on the bike...mine is a Givi aftermarket box, but I'm sure that other makes of top case would fit as well.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Had a big Dowco for several years, although it was never truly waterproof as advertised. Replaced it with a Nelson Rigg which is better made, packs much smaller and is actually waterproof. Good deal at www.motorcyclegear.com (this one, XL)

Top Bottom