How to replace rear brake pads

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
So, what would you use to clean the brakes?
If cleaning the pistons prior to coaxing them back into the caliper body, a tooth brush and brake fluid. One way to use up that opened bottle.

Joe did a great photo tutorial on this.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Dot 4 brake fluid and a soft tooth brush or a wide shoestring dipped in dot 4 then wiped off.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
So, what would you use to clean the brakes?
As mentioned brake fluid is a pretty good cleaner the wide shoelace lets you wrap around the pistons and clean the back side.
What shouldn't go there is brake cleaner or wd-40 or moly paste or grease or....
For the most part the type of rubber compatible with brake fluid isn't compatible with oil.
Silicone grease is fine and called for in the manual

The old pads and a wide blade screw driver between them works ok for pushing the pistons back home and giving you room to put the new pads in.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Love the wide shoelace and dot 4 trick... my toothbrush/scrubby was always a messy job with the fluid.

Yes, the pads can be replaced without tire removal... BUT, since the tire comes out easy, I believe tire changes and brake pads changes are a good time to check the flange bearings!
I've had mine go bad and didn't know ...even tho it was fine just 6k earlier when checked.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Love the wide shoelace and dot 4 trick... my toothbrush/scrubby was always a messy job with the fluid.

Yes, the pads can be replaced without tire removal... BUT, since the tire comes out easy, I believe tire changes and brake pads changes are a good time to check the flange bearings!
I've had mine go bad and didn't know ...even tho it was fine just 6k earlier when checked.

:plus1:

Bike
2007 ST1300A
Guys:

Just went through replacement (ewwwwwww..... Did I leave it that long????).

Did not remove the tire , did not remove the rear caliper.

Cleaned the one piston so it gleamed, but could barely get at the 2nd .. Loved the shoelace trick ....
The stick as a lever was the key to making room. The only trick I think hasn't been mentioned is to replace the piston-side pad first.

Off to the fronts next week ..... My back wheel went from 1/2 spin to about 1 1/2 ..... And it's quiet too!

Thanks as always to the community who makes this possible!

Top Bottom