Idea for mounting your heated gear controller

Bike
ST 1300
Wanted to share an idea with everyone on where to mount your heated gear controller. I recently got heated gear and became frustrated trying to mount my "heat troller." Initially I wanted to mount it on my left handlebar on a ram mount off of the clutch reservoir. I should have learned my lesson when running power to my GPS - running power to the front from the battery is difficult to do along the inside frame. There is not enough room around the airbox and tank to do what I wanted.

This was a blessing in disguise. It forced me to think of a simpler solution. I utilized some materials I had on hand to "mount" the controller to the centerstand assist handle. I used a velcro loop I made, some plastic wire loom, electrical tape, and one Gerbing duel controller with one 12" coax extension for the power lead. The best thing is that it required no permanent changes to the bike, is convenient to access, and can be removed easily when not needed (winter time). Hope this helps someone out. -Dan

Attachments

Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
OK, no one else commented on your idea, but I think it is very creative! I might do something similar if I can't resolve my conundrum. What did you mount the controllers in? It looks like a nice plastic box of some type.

I am trying to mount the heat-troller controller for my new grips. I wanted to mount it in the left faring just below the locked compartment, but don't know how I would remove the tupperware because of the attached wiring. Any thoughts?

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
OK, no one else commented on your idea, but I think it is very creative! I might do something similar if I can't resolve my conundrum. What did you mount the controllers in? It looks like a nice plastic box of some type.

I am trying to mount the heat-troller controller for my new grips. I wanted to mount it in the left faring just below the locked compartment, but don't know how I would remove the tupperware because of the attached wiring. Any thoughts?
I just did what you are asking about. Mounted the heat troller just below the locking glove box. I have the quartet harness, so that is where I tapped in for power. The white connector is for the Honda heated grips. I ordered the Molex connectors in a 3 wire model and a 2 wire model to hook the power to the grips. This way I have electrical disconnects when I have to remove the left side plastic.

Any type of plugs will work. Radio Shack has polarized ones like trailer wiring style. As far s that goes you could use a trailer wire kit. 4 conductors. 2 for power and 2 for the grips. One connector to unplug. Had I not had the quartet I would have gone this route.

Kevin

Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
Thanks for your ideas. This solution means the heat-troller control unit must be located within the cowl. I was thinking about securing it on the outside (left) side of the locking box between the cowl plastic and the box plastic (there appears to be room). The only issue I can see is persistent engine heat. Will that cause any issues with the control unit.

Another thought is to cut the wire between the knob and the control unit then locate the control unit under the pillion. That would get the control unit out of the heat and wouldn't require wrapping all of the wire up and finding somewhere to stuff it. It also means I would need a 6 pin connector. Decisions, decisions.

Jim

NoBull

Twisties are your friend
Bike
CRF450X
STOC #
Are you able to adjust the controller while underway? Finding a convenient place for plugging and unplugging and still accessible during a ride is tough. I strap it too my left leg, but its not the best location. I was planning on buying a rigid mount and installing below the left pocket, eventually.

Marshal_Mercer

Bumbleberry + Crumble = Yum!
Bike
Has new home
STOC #
Here's another mounting avenue that you might want to consider. These are Gerbing's units though. The black knob controls for my black gloves and pants' liner. The gray knob controls for my gray jacket liner. The LEDs to the right of the knobs flash to show operation.

Marshal

Attachments

Saint Joe

Joe
Bike
'12 ST1300A
Here's another mounting avenue that you might want to consider. These are Gerbing's units though. The black knob controls for my black gloves and pants' liner. The gray knob controls for my gray jacket liner. The LEDs to the right of the knobs flash to show operation.

Marshal
Haven't seen too many items mounted in this position left or right side. Will be another option as I compile my list of farkles for this winter.
Anyone know any reason not to mount items here? The only thing I can see would be that it might be kind of low for some items.

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
I just velcro my heat troller to the left side of my ST1100's tank bag. It's perfectly situated for ease of access and removal. No permanent mounting to mess with. Don't know if it would be that good a solution with the 1300 or not since I think you guys have to use a small tank bag.

What I like about my tank bag setup is that all my electronics are contained in or on the tank bag and can be removed quickly by simply removing the bag. In the bottom of the bag I have all the electronics for my radar detector & headset plus my CB and of course the heat troller on the side. The power for all this is supplied by a wire that emerges from the back of the tank bag and plugs into a Jastek socket which is behind the the left fairing pocket. When I want to wash the bike, I simply unplug the bag, remove and wash away with no worries about getting sensitive electronics wet. I'll see if I can find a picture.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I have two heat-trollers mounted and they are in the left fairing where the holes for what some say are for speakers. The model I bought is not enclosed in a box but is mounted by driilling the hole and using a nut to secure them. I can reach both of them while riding with no problem and it does not interfere with me taking the tupperware off since I don't remove this part. I installed one about 2 years ago for my hot grips and a second one last year for my brides heated gloves. The only problem wiht this option for her is she can adjust the temperature as I have to do it.

I also have the wiring harness installed so an each reach to get to hot wires for powering them.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
I slip my dual troller on my AST waistbelt. You'll need the pouch for it though:biker:

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I just purchased the new gen 4 troller from warm and safe and theirs is a remote control unit. Plug the wire connection in and mount the actual twin knob controller any where in you handle bars(no Wires). This is the cats meow.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Using the centerstand handle is a clever idea but I found it easier to mount the controller on my clothing. When I get off the bike for a quick stop there is only the power wire to disconnect and the controller gets off the bike with me. When I had the controller on the bike I had to unglove and unzip and lift a layer or two to disconnect the controller's jacket/glove wires from inside the Gerbing liner then reverse when getting back on. The controller clips on the front of my stich or jacket and I run the female power cord from the battery out under the front left edge of the seat against the gas tank. I leave it just peeking out. Just my two cents.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Using the centerstand handle is a clever idea but I found it easier to mount the controller on my clothing. When I get off the bike for a quick stop there is only the power wire to disconnect and the controller gets off the bike with me. When I had the controller on the bike I had to unglove and unzip and lift a layer or two to disconnect the controller's jacket/glove wires from inside the Gerbing liner then reverse when getting back on. The controller clips on the front of my stich or jacket and I run the female power cord from the battery out under the front left edge of the seat against the gas tank. I leave it just peeking out. Just my two cents.
I like to keep mine on my person also. I had a pouch sewn onto my leather overpants. I just clip the controller to my rain jacket if I have to put on the rain gear.

Attachments

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
I slip my dual troller on my AST waistbelt. You'll need the pouch for it though:biker:
Ding, ding, works great, though I have to lift the chin bar to look at the LED's, but don't do that often. It can be reached by either hand if you have cruise control also.

I reallly have to giv e credit to Byron for the idea, I saw he had mounted his on his AST belt.

okmurdog

Will Ride for Pie
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
A few weeks ago, I received my heated accessories the evening before a long trip the next day. In order to save time, I mounted the panel mount heat troller in a small plastic box with plans to spend more time later and mount it in a more permanent location.

As it turns out, I really like the location of the heat troller in the plastic box. I have easy access to the control and can easily see the location of the knob, and the flash of the LED. I used a $2 box from Radio Shack and mounted it such that the lid is on the bottom. I cut a piece of foam, and custom made an inset for a gentle bend radius in the wire. It fits nicely in the top pouch of the Joe Rocket Manta. The wire is routed so it does not contact the tank in order to prevent chaffing. I can take the entire assembly on and off the bike in a matter of minutes.

Attachments

Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
Good to see all these ideas. When I got my controller, I got the dual temp contoller cover. It has a belt clip. I clipped it to the strap handle on my tank bag. I thought this would be temporary but it's still there. I can look down to adjust. I just have to unconnect both wires to leave it on the bike.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I also keep mine on the waist adjuster straps on my AST and on the Phantom 1 piece as was already said all you have to disconnect is the power cord. and the reast goes with you.

Top Bottom