Black Mufflers

Smallville

Scott
Bike
2022 KLR 650 Adv
STOC #
Well I finally bit the bullet and decided to paint my mufflers black. I had tossed around the Idea for a while and finally decided I would give it a try. I had a extra set of mufflers that one had a couple of small dents so I figured why not. I must say I think they look good. The stock mufflers stick out, being the only thing polished. This makes them look smaller and more blended with the bike. I used some 220 grit sand paper and scuffed the surface, cleaned well, and used some high temp paint. If doing it over again I would use some adhesion promoter first, just to make sure the paint has a good bond. Time will tell if the paint will hold up. My only real concern is how hot the cats get. I guess we'll see.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Djc
Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
Hey....I had the same idea and have an extra set of mufflers I was planning to do this to. Cool....since I have the same color bike, it's like seeing the final result without the fuss. :D

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
My only real concern is how hot the cats get. I guess we'll see.
They get damn hot! I'll be surprised if the paint isn't cooked off the cylindrical section where the cats are housed as well as immediately adjacent to that area. Interesting idea though. Anyone remember the black chrome that was popular in the 80s? My '83 Interceptor had black chrome pipes, they looked good and were durable.

If the black paint doesn't work, maybe you could have them black chromed?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
... or powdercoated....

Now.. do the wheels, exposed frame, luggage rack and handlebars and it would look completely STealth.

OP
OP
Smallville

Smallville

Scott
Bike
2022 KLR 650 Adv
STOC #
They get damn hot! I'll be surprised if the paint isn't cooked off the cylindrical section where the cats are housed as well as immediately adjacent to that area. Interesting idea though. Anyone remember the black chrome that was popular in the 80s? My '83 Interceptor had black chrome pipes, they looked good and were durable.

If the black paint doesn't work, maybe you could have them black chromed?
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if it does happen. I used 1200* paint and I think cats run in the 750-1200* range. I guess I'll test the paint out.

I think it would look good if someone sand/bead blasted the mufflers and then painted just the triangle part, leaving the exposed muffler with the blasted finish (matching the frame).

Bike
2006 ST1300
Looks good! I agree, now the frame sticks out, needs to be black. This after I just polished my mufflers this morning.:D:D

I like the look. I wonder if the newer Suzuki tri looking mufflers would fit on. I like the look of the twin tri pipes on the Busa and GSX-R1000

I would like to do the wheels. Maybe when I wear out this set of tires...
Thats my plan to have my wheels powder coated black when tires wear out.Main reasons are that i think black on black is sweet and its easier to keep clean. It seems that some of the european bikes come stock with black wheels besides just the 03.Heres a picture of a bike i found on the net that i like ,good luck RIDEWFO.

Attachments

Black is not easier to keep clean!:03biker:
As far as rims go thet do stay cleaner looking as for the rest of the bike yeah its a pain,you just need stock in honda pro polish and a few thousand micro fiber towels along with an industrial washing machine :D

Last edited:
Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Or go with an '04. The filth on the plastic is an awsome match with the break dust. :p:

Top Bottom